Sadie [our oldest dog aged 14 1/2years]

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Scare at weekend with our oldest dog SADIE [14 1/2years], she went into the garden, we heard her yelp then found she was unable to weight bear with her hind legs. Saw the vets yesterday who after examination said she had Arthritis in her spine and limbs. He prescribed two weeks rest and anti-inflammatory medication. She is improving , now weight bearing but her gait is stiff and slow. A wake up call to the future and our younger dog Sammy [10 yrs] is wondering what is going on. A picture taken of Sadie on beach below

Attachments

• DSC03179.JPG
    DSC03179.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Scare at weekend with our oldest dog SADIE [14 1/2years], she went into the garden, we heard her yelp then found she was unable to weight bear with her hind legs. Saw the vets yesterday who after examination said she had Arthritis in her spine and limbs. He prescribed two weeks rest and anti-inflammatory medication. She is improving , now weight bearing but her gait is stiff and slow. A wake up call to the future and our younger dog Sammy [10 yrs] is wondering what is going on. A picture taken of Sadie on beach below
Hope that with rest and meds she can regain her comfort. It’s not nice when our canine, or other pet, companions get old, but our love and care for them doesn’t diminish.

Reactions: Hutch and Beachball
Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
Our eldest cat (17 yrs) has had arthritis for years - she's on daily painkillers and waddles a bit, but she still runs up the stairs and can jump on the furniture. She's happy enough except when the youngest cat (4 yrs) tries to get her to play chase.

As OC says it isn't nice when pets are poorly - hope the vets can find a balance of meds to get Sadie mobile again!

Reactions: Beachball

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
It is horrible when our pets are ill, but worse when they are very elderly because it prompts the very difficult question of “the kindest thing”. Hope there is some good treatment that puts that question off for some time.
Mel

Reactions: Hutch and Beachball
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Looked after my nephew's, 15 year old Collie, this week, she is fussy on food says dad. Our dog Harry gets daily different food, kibble wet food and last night Sardines in oil. Holly the Collie loved it, , and sharing a bag of cheesy cheddars in the pub. But just short walks 20 minutes. I would hate the same food every day.

Reactions: Beachball
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
It is horrible when our pets are ill, but worse when they are very elderly because it prompts the very difficult question of “the kindest thing”. Hope there is some good treatment that puts that question off for some time.
Mel
Hi Mel since our dog Sadie been taking this anti- inflammatory medication in her food for the past couple weeks ,the difference is amazing she running but not as fast, but gets tried very quickly and resting all day but that is something .

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Looked after my nephew's, 15 year old Collie, this week, she is fussy on food says dad. Our dog Harry gets daily different food, kibble wet food and last night Sardines in oil. Holly the Collie loved it, , and sharing a bag of cheesy cheddars in the pub. But just short walks 20 minutes. I would hate the same food every day.
When i take our two for a walk on my mobility scooter Sammy the Jack Russell will trot next to me but our other dog Sadie sits on my scooter and when we get to park just let them go for 25mins and then home .
The food is Pedigree mixer dry food and Pedigree wet dog food pouches plus any leftovers in the fridge just to give it more taste .;)

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hi Mel since our dog Sadie been taking this anti- inflammatory medication in her food for the past couple weeks ,the difference is amazing she running but not as fast, but gets tried very quickly and resting all day but that is something .
We have been using Yumove on our older dog and she seems a bit more mobile however still early days.

Both our dogs are fed Royal Canin wet & dry food. mixed with mince or tint bits of steak.

Reactions: Kenno and Beachball
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
one of our dogs has arthritis in her back legs and our vet has put her on you move ,metacam and believe it or not calpol+6 and she is doing really well on these.
hope this helps yours
regards Martin
We will keep it in mind but thanks for the information ;)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We will keep it in mind but thanks for the information ;)
Our two aged Springers had monthly injections of Cartrophen which greatly helped their old bones and joints. One had it from age 10-15 following a severe attack of meningitis, the other had it aged 13 -16 following major surgery on her cruciate ligament.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Our two aged Springers had monthly injections of Cartrophen which greatly helped their old bones and joints. One had it from age 10-15 following a severe attack of meningitis, the other had it aged 13 -16 following major surgery on her cruciate ligament.

Hi clive Sadie has been prescribed oral suspension which we put into her food and appears to be successful at present. We are conscious to enable her to have good quality of life, she has always had excellent mobility and want this to be achieved as long as possible, one step at a time.

Reactions: Dustydog
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Our two Springers got to 14 and a bit but relied heavily on Metacam and Seraquin to keep nimble.mTrouble was they were both nutters who ran everywhere. Afterwards they paid for it but the two drugs worked wonders. We bought the Metacam from the vets because of three monthly monitoring, the Seraquin on line. No cheap lunches with dog medications🤬🤬

Reactions: Kenno and Beachball
Aug 23, 2023
Visit site
I can understand how you felt when you saw Sadie having had dogs for some 60 odd years glad that medication has improved quality of life for her. I lost two within three weeks of each other a Retriever and German Shepherd with Hip Dysplasia vowed I would not have any more but 15 years later decided to do G.D puppy walking and have ended up buying my Lab that decided he did not want to do the job. Loved all my dogs but this fella is way up on the top of the list, now 8 1/2 years old but thinks he is 8 months. I was asked why at my age now 76 why I purchased Barney my answer was we would both grow old gracefully.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I can understand how you felt when you saw Sadie having had dogs for some 60 odd years glad that medication has improved quality of life for her. I lost two within three weeks of each other a Retriever and German Shepherd with Hip Dysplasia vowed I would not have any more but 15 years later decided to do G.D puppy walking and have ended up buying my Lab that decided he did not want to do the job. Loved all my dogs but this fella is way up on the top of the list, now 8 1/2 years old but thinks he is 8 months. I was asked why at my age now 76 why I purchased Barney my answer was we would both grow old gracefully.
Barney sounds like a great companion and someone you care a great deal about, the hardest thing is seeing a once very active dog who would chase rabbits, still try but her ambition succeeds her ability now, The most important thing for her to quality of life to enable her to enjoy life as much as she can and understand when that is no longer possible, We have been lucky to have a wonderful friend for nearly 15 years and continue to appreciate her role in our family and mother figure to our jack russell Sammy.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Our vets recommended giving Yumove product on trial pack for our dog Sadie they have arrived and so far seem to be helping become a bit mobile it early days long may it continue

Last edited:
Reactions: WayneS
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Our vets recommended giving Yumove product on trial pack for our dog Sadie they have arrived and so far seem to be helping become a bit mobile it early days long may it continue

Unusual for vets to recommend Youmove which can be bought Online and cost a lot lower than a prescription. However it does seem to work.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Unusual for vets to recommend Youmove which can be bought Online and cost a lot lower than a prescription. However it does seem to work.
Is it really unusual for vets to recommend something that can be bought over the counter rellatively cheaply? It's common for doctors to recommend treatments which are cheaper over the counter than on NHS prescription so I don't see why vets should be any different.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Surely BB has only said that the Vets recommended YouMove, not that they prescribed it, although they may sell it in the practice at a higher price than online or Pets at Home etc.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
I looked into Glucosamine and Chondroitin ( ingredients of You move) as an aid for our pooch. The evidence is at best mixed, with many studies showing no benefit. There is a placebo effect when owners have to rate mobility. This is similar to the results in humans. When I put this to our vet, she agreed that research doesn’t really back it up, but it is still recommended by College of Vets.
Hope it does work for Sadie BB but be prepared to get back to your vet if no benefit.
Mel

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Surely BB has only said that the Vets recommended YouMove, not that they prescribed it, although they may sell it in the practice at a higher price than online or Pets at Home etc.
Hi clive you were spot on the vets recommended it but we brought it online at Yumove £5 for trial pack & free delivery (y)

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I looked into Glucosamine and Chondroitin ( ingredients of You move) as an aid for our pooch. The evidence is at best mixed, with many studies showing no benefit. There is a placebo effect when owners have to rate mobility. This is similar to the results in humans. When I put this to our vet, she agreed that research doesn’t really back it up, but it is still recommended by College of Vets.
Hope it does work for Sadie BB but be prepared to get back to your vet if no benefit.
Mel
Hi Mel it early days but if it helps her to get mobile again and good quality of life

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Our two Springers were on Seraquin for their arthritis for the last four years. It was basically a mix of glucosamine , others and turmeric. Our vet initially sold it to us. As it was to be a long term medication he suggested we buy it on line . We had to pay a few pounds for the prescription. Much cheaper and I emphasise with our vets full approval. We had used the Practice for 35 years .The girls remained full on nuclear powered until the end

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts