Safefill gas

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
I know it's an old subject but are we still having problems filling these bottles. Thinking about getting the bigger blue one but worried that I will have problems when I come to fill it.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
The very same isse we have, no retailer within a sensible travelling distance.
Got a Shell petrol LPG forcourt dealer very conveniently placed but they will not allow it.
Have you checked your own locality with the listing of compliant gas retailers on Safefill's web site?
From experience you then also need to check if the said retailer is still in business.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm sorry you are having difficulties fiding gas suppliers who allow refilling of these bottles. Can I suggest an alternative strategy, and I appreciate it may scupper some of your reasons for using the safefill cylinders. Many of us use two cylinders. To keep costs down, just swap one to a Safefill, and preferentially use that cylider, only using the rented cylinder as a back up for when the Safefill runs out. That give you flexibility to use the safefill when you access to refillers, or the rented one if there are no refill stations available.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
No problem with filling mine, pump attendant puts the diesel in the car, while I top up the Safefill cylinder. Always carry a 6kg Calor for the BBQ and just in case!

12029579965_b7aeddd982.jpg

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
Thanks everybody. Still sounds the same answers are coming in as a year or two ago. I have been on the Safefill site to see local authorised fillers. When I went to find the only one near me ,I found that the address was a house in the middle of an housing estate. Not much use really. I emailed Morrisons petrol only to be told that it was company policy not to allow re filling. I do want to purchase a Safefill, not only for cheaper gas but to give the middle finger to ripoff Calor. We'll suppose I ether take the plunge or wait a while till the Safefill word gets around to the LPG stations

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Duncan,
Safefill have been trying to 'spread the word' for sevaral years now. Whilst i have no figures, my impression is that currently for every gas retailer taking on the Safefill system, another one closes, so its not really growing massively. I think it will take some time before there is a country wide convenient network of suppliers. It would help if one of the major retrail fuel company would take on the system. Perhaps it needs caravanners to lobby a chain of retailers.
The situation abroad is somewhat better, where LPG suppliers have been offering refilling facilities more widely.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
I had to email Safefill on three different occasions to advise them that the stockists in the Worcestershire area were no longer operating and had not for over a year. It was only when I threaten to report them to the Advertising watchdog that they replied.
I think the only reliable refills with plenty of depots are with Gaslow and Flogas.

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Hi we live in Liverpool, Technically we have no filling station within a 10 mile radious, but if you use your own knowledge, there are plenty of small independent garages that allow you to refill, I have found one literally around the corner. Just poped in and asked and they said no problem, Just refilled 13 literes this morning at 0.65p each came to £8.45, I think the calor lite is the same size and cost me £22.50 last time so its a big saving.

Also another thought asda have lpg pumps on our local unmanned station, nobody has ever questioned me filling up their either.

I was blinkered at first and delayed purchasing due to no refil point where I live but then in practice when i looked at actually where I tow the van too, there are planty of fill up points.

The likes of morrisons used to allow refills but then Calor whom supply them stated they couldnt, I wonder why?

I know its a bit of go out and see for yourself, but if you get it right and you use a lot of gas ie winter rallying like us, there are big savings in the long run to be had.

Hope this helps
John

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
Just to let you all know. I have decided to bite the bullet and have ordered my bottle. I have found a LPG station very near my adresss that has no probs with me filling. I will still keep my small calor as a backup but I don't intend to line the pockets of the rip off merchants any more.

May 18, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I've found a smartphone app and website which is a massive help in hunting down LPG filling stations - http://filllpg.co.uk/ & https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.onthefencedevelopment.fill_lpg
It shows the current price for LPG in your area and the last time the price was updated so you can either check out your local area or stop off on your intended route to fill.

I'm not linked to this site in any way - i'm just a happy user of their service...

(I've got 2 safefill bottles on the go with an auto changeover as I holiday with no EHU for weeks at a time)
Thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts