Safety of this rusted towbar?

Jul 28, 2024
Visit site
Hi all,

I figured you guys would know about towbars and towing. I'd be keen to get a towbar mounted bike rack which would hold about 55kg all together loaded, but noticed the towbar (that came pre fitted on a car I bought privately a year ago) seems quite rusted on the neck (ball seems pretty good as covered) - just wanted to gather your opinions based on experience and whether you guys would deem it safe to go ahead and mount a rack if you were in this spot?

Thanks muchly

Attachments

• 1000044882.png
    1000044882.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 34
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Needs a really good clean up, use de rust solution and repaint in primer, top coat. Leave ball bare. Just clean using brake clutch cleaner and kitchen scourer or fine Emery.

Should come up fine and at 55kg load it will be fine. If you want assurance just stand on it. But it’s worth checking its attachment points onto the car for corrosion and that their torque tightening is okay.

Reactions: towba
Jul 28, 2024
Visit site
That's really informative, wow. Thanks that gives me a lot to go on.

So brake clutch cleaner is for the ball only?
Seems pretty good with a chunk of my weight on it so I'll try do everything you recommended, much appreciated

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
By the looks from your photo the 'neck' is held captive by a couple of bolts through the bracket left to right. So it may be possible to remove these and extract the 'neck' which would make refurbing a much easier task. As already described while on your back beneath the car have a good examination of fixings and the designated points on the car chassis to ensure they are sound.
I have used a Thule two (electric) bike carrier on my towball and found it very satisfactory in use - clamps and locks securely and bikes locked to the bars. However when towing of course the bikes have to travel either secured in the van or within the SUV.
I have a spray brake cleaner that I use to c lean the ball itself before every trip, wiping with kitchen roll or a microfibre cloth.

Jul 28, 2024
Visit site
By the looks from your photo the 'neck' is held captive by a couple of bolts through the bracket left to right. So it may be possible to remove these and extract the 'neck' which would make refurbing a much easier task. As already described while on your back beneath the car have a good examination of fixings and the designated points on the car chassis to ensure they are sound.
I have used a Thule two (electric) bike carrier on my towball and found it very satisfactory in use - clamps and locks securely and bikes locked to the bars. However when towing of course the bikes have to travel either secured in the van or within the SUV.
I have a spray brake cleaner that I use to c lean the ball itself before every trip, wiping with kitchen roll or a microfibre cloth.
Good tips, perfect. Yeah pretty sold on the idea of one - this is all handy info

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
As an extra clean the towbar under the car and brush off loose paint dirt and rust. A spray of waxoyl will stop further rusting if done periodically. IE twice a year especially before winter.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I wouldn't be too concerned about the neck and the towball itself because that's a pretty substantial piece of steel, but the towbar frame to the car's underbody including the bolts that attach it may also be critical. I'd remove the whole assembly, inspect it for any serious weaknesses due to corrosion. If it all appears worth saving, I'd give the whole thing the treatment that the others have suggested.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
This may put your mind at rest from the structural aspect.

MOT Test of coupling mechanisms and towing equipment (6)​

Formerly MOT Test of Tow Bar (Towing Hook)​

The tow bar is now part of section 6 of the new MOT Testing Manual – ‘Body, Structure and Attachments’.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Hi all,
- just wanted to gather your opinions based on experience and whether you guys would deem it safe to go ahead and mount a rack if you were in this spot?

Thanks muchly
.....to be absolutely safe the towbar and it's installation needs to be examined by a professional.
The level of corrosion and neglect shown in the photo is cause for concern.
Loads attached to a towbar are subject to
"secure loading" legislation, the onus being on the driver.
I would want to minimise any potential risk of bikes becoming detached and causing a danger to other road users.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I endorse Gafferbill's advice about an examination.

As with any concern about safety, its impossible for any forum commenter to guarantee the safety of any product or process as we are far too remote to have the full picture or details.

But based purely on your photograph, the flakiness of the surface suggests the hitch assembly was probably powder or dip coated when it was made. These coatings often begin to crack and flake with age or incidental damage.

To know the full extent of any rusting the coating will need to be fully removed to expose the bare metal, and only then can the strength of the assembly be accurately assessed.

Aug 24, 2021
Visit site
A towbar where fitted will be subject to a visual check for corrosion, secure fitting and correct bolts etc.
Thirteen pin electrics will be checked as well.
This has been the case since 2012

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts