Sandringham caravan club site

Sep 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi

Off to Sandringham on the 6th feb for a week really looking forward to it.Just wanted to know what peoples thoughts and experiences are with the site,is there anything you think i need to take out of the ordinary.Any comments about the site would be welcome.

Simon

Apr 18, 2006
Visit site
Hi Simon,

Popular site,in a very nice setting.If you use a tv there is a

booster system,as the reception is poor.mobile phone signals are poor you need to walk around the site to get a fair signal.

Good walks/cycling in the area.Stick to the arrival time in the handbook.

Larger Supermarkets in Hunstanton and Kings Lynn,Pubs in area

are generally good for meals.

Have a good time,

Regards,

FrankE

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
Hi Simon

We were there at Christmas for a week and have to agree with Frank it's a very nice site (as is the C & CC one next door).

We bought a cable from reception, around

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Simon we have been to Sandringham every year for the last 3 and have booked a 2-week stay this year

Its an excellent site, we belong to both clubs, CC & C&CC, the CC is by far the better site in our opinion, immaculately kept and the walks from the site too Sandringham its self are some of the best on the CC sites.

After being their for the last 3 years we still have not seen everything in the area, we always drive to Holkham beach at least 3 times out of our stay as the dogs love the run on the beach and the walk through the forest, in all that time we have not been to Kings Lynn but intend to go this time, theirs a good Chippy van that come to site twice a week.

The only pub is the the club that you can walk too through the forest but have to pay for a membership for the week, the pub at castle rising is a bout 30 minute walk away but be careful crossing the road to Hunstanton as its extremely busy.

The wardens are excellent as is the all the site amenities, l am sure you will have a wonderful stay.

NigelH

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
The only thing I can add is if you have dogs.

I don't know how long ticks are active for but ours picked up four while we were there. With them living off warm blooded hosts I wondered if they might be active throughout the year.

Dec 23, 2006
Visit site
In the countryside you will find Ticks,particularly in sheep and deer country. Ticks are active all year round but especially between spring and autumn.They can carry Lyme Disease so if you get bitten by a tick it is important you see a doctor and get antibiotic cover immediately. It is best when walking in long grass to have your legs covered. Your dogs need protecting against ticks latching onto their skin and sucking blood, so we us Frontline every 4 weeks on our dog. If a tick does latch onto your dog it is important to have a tick remover for its removal, these can easily be obtained from your vet. Other means of removal carry the risk of the tick regurgitating before being removed, and therefore passing on Lyme Disease if the tick is infected. A useful website to go on for information is:

www.lymediseaseaction.org.uk/information/tick.htm

Sandringham C.c. site is excellent and well maintained by the wardens.

Hamer.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Good advice from Hamer but I would also like to add that when removing the tick turn it anti-clockwise or else you will leave the biting parts embedded in the dog leading to infection.

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
That's interesting about the ticks, ours had one this year went the vets to have it removed and purchased a tick remover, we are not sure where she picked it up, thought it might have been in Scarborough, could have been Sandringham or even Broadway earlier in the year as we didn't discover it until September.

Seems they are prevalent everywhere not just one particular area.

NigelH

Dec 23, 2006
Visit site
That's interesting about the ticks, ours had one this year went the vets to have it removed and purchased a tick remover, we are not sure where she picked it up, thought it might have been in Scarborough, could have been Sandringham or even Broadway earlier in the year as we didn't discover it until September.

NigelH
NGH,

Ticks can transfer from one animal to another or from an animal to a hunan as i discovered about 4 years ago. I live in sheep country, next to Portmeirion, and the morning walk with the dog is through the Portmeirion estate.

One afternoon i felt itching in the centre of my back. My wife could see the tick embedded in my back. i rang my G.P. who saw me immediatly.She had never seen a tick on a human before, her excuse being she was a townie!! She asked me would i mind if the other doctor and the pracice nurses looked at it and watched her remove it. I agreed.

She did a blood test for Lyme disease and put me on antibiotics for two weeks. Also told me not to go caravanning until she had the blood test results.

I suppose i should have sent her a bill for staff training!!!

I have since met two other caravanners who have had ticks, luckily none of us had the disease.

Hamer

Sep 11, 2009
Visit site

NigelH
hi all

Thank you your replies the next week and a half cant go quick enough,like a big kid as i am new to caravaning will be counting the sleeps to go before long.Every trip is like a big adventure really love it think i'am hooked

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Quote "it might have been in Scarborough, could have been Sandringham or even Broadway earlier in the year as we didn't discover it until September".

This would be very doubtful. The tick is only the size of a pinhead and just waits on stems of grass etc. for a host to pass. Once it digs it's fangs in, it bites clockwise hence the reason to turn it anti-clockwise, it gorges itself on the blood of the host until it swells considerably. It has a bluish grey, leathery skin and once gorged it drops off.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts