May 19, 2008
Visit site
hello you helpfull people i have been thinking about buying a 03-04 plate santa fe for towing our caravan to the south of france.you seem to to get a lot of car for the money they are selling at the moment.

i have looked at honest johns report on them,there dosnt seem to be many faults or do you know of any really bad ones ??

regards

john m

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
hi john i had a 57 plate santa fe and it was the worst car i ever had the cam belt snapped twice in 6 months the 4wd stopped working and the central locking didnt work yes dont get me wrong nice looking car but i wouldnt touch one with a 10 foot barge pole lol but take care john

gareth

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
John,

The 57-plate car that Gareth had the problems with will be the new model - you are talking about it's predecessor. Go on Forum Search at the top of the page and enter "Hyundai Santa Fe Diesel" - there was a string there that ended on 1st Dec that has some useful comments. As you will see, I had two - an 04 and an 06 and had no problems with either, go for the newer 2.0l diesel (04 onwards I think) if you can.

Good luck with it.

Neal

Feb 5, 2009
Visit site
John,

The 57-plate car that Gareth had the problems with will be the new model - you are talking about it's predecessor. Go on Forum Search at the top of the page and enter "Hyundai Santa Fe Diesel" - there was a string there that ended on 1st Dec that has some useful comments. As you will see, I had two - an 04 and an 06 and had no problems with either, go for the newer 2.0l diesel (04 onwards I think) if you can.

Good luck with it.

Neal
hi john one word of advice when you are buying make sure the car has all the recalls from the manafactures esp the flywheel

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
john i have the 57 plate 2.2 cdx 7 seater auto. ive had the minor niggle as with any new car. but it goes in and is sorted. nice drive and great tow tug.

my in laws have an 02 plate 2.0 diesel no probs infact there selling it to my bro in law because there picking up a new 09 plate gsi 7 seater auto in march because they love there santa fe and ours.

ive had lots of new cars they all have niggles until there ironed out. they dont know about the niggles until people like me and gareth tell them.

gareth had a bad experience a bit like me with a new sedona it had its put him off abit like me with the sedonas. you do get a bad apple every now and then.

go and buy one

keep us posted.

jo-anne

Aug 28, 2007
Visit site
I agree with Gareth, worst car I too have ever had. I bought a brand new 55 plate, it was the automatic and every time I towed with it, the pipes blew off the oil cooler leaving me with transmission fluid all over my caravan and stranded at the side of the road, ruining my holiday before it had even started. With only 5000 miles on the clock, and a failure on behalf of Kia to fix the problem, I literaly gave it away as I did not want to tow with it again and went back to a proper 4x4.

Aug 28, 2007
Visit site
carl, are you saying you had a bad sedona and the santa fe is a great car?.

jo
Sorry Jo, I was having a bad day at work and realised I posted a very strange message.

It was the Sorento that I had the bad experience with, my good lady wife has got a Santa Fe (2.7 V6 petrol) which is a wonderful drive and we have had no problems with it at all. The GREAT car is my Patrol.

Hope I have made more sense now that I have got home and cracked open the wine.

Carl.

May 19, 2008
Visit site
Thank you all for your helpfull comments .I have gone back to all the towcar pages and read all the santa fe topics as nothing real bad jumps out (apart from Gareths bad one) i will be buying a santa fe when the weather gets a bit better

thanks again

john m

Jan 17, 2009
Visit site
Hi John,

We have a Santa Fe 04 2 litre manual,and speak as you find,we have had no problems with it.It tows our Coachman vip no problem.We are very happy with it ,as a tow vehicle and everyday car.

Nellie.

May 19, 2008
Visit site
hello J0-Anne and Nellie I am sorry i havent looked on the forum for awhile so i didnt see your messages. an up date is that at the moment the santa fe will have to go on the back burner for awhile a couple of months ago ferry booked etc a months holiday in the south of france great, quite a bit of work in the pipeline but things have changed the construction industry in london has just crashed totally. we will still have our holiday (which could be a bit longer now)i did think of selling one of my other cars to help with the cost but as with the santa fe the prices are low ,we still have 3 months before we go so things might change.so my santa fe (or maybe bills and food ) fund will have to stay in the bank for now thank you for your offers

regards

john m

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts