Santa Fe

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
With the new Santa Fe hybrids arriving, I have seen some dealers offering low mileage Santa Fes at reduced prices , they are pre registered and are the previous model, the one with the Marmite front, so I am thinking of changing our 2013 Santa Fe manual gearbox for the 7 seat automatic with self levelling suspension,the PC review looks good but I would welcome comments from anybody who is running a Santa Fe automatic with self levelling from 2018-2021model years.

Reactions: james234298
Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Mines a late 2016 with 7 seats and self levelling suspension.
Find the auto a little thirsty to be honest.
Approx.30 -35 around town and 40 on a run(solo).
Having said that....its almost 2 tons.!
Towing our Bailey??.....excellent👍
Whats your manual like on fuel?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for that, the one I am looking at is the later, larger car, I think it may be lighter and have an aluminium block,rather than the iron one, my existing car is the same shape as yours just an earlier model, not seen any of the ones I am considering on sites when away, so wonder if they were not as popular or perhaps still too new. Our manual averages 35 mph according to the on board, that is over 50k miles, at least half will have been towing, which I consider quite respectable after our previous Shogun. Love the Santa Fe we have , its just that it's 8 years old now, and the ones I have been looking at have up to £10k off the list price and most are less than 100 miles on the clock.

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
I've had the last 3 models from new. Changed to a 20 reg Premium SE automatic (8 speed by the way)

All I can say is that this latest model rides better than the previous versions in spite of the 19" wheels. The bells and whistles all work, some more useful than others.
The HUD is simply fantastic but I dearly would love to have the lane guidance disabled without me having to turn it off every trip!

Towing is easy, the automatic hand brake a pleasure to use and consumption very similar to that achieved with the previous model which was the Premium manual version. Overall towing around 25/26. With difficult terrain or a head wind this can drop of course and I've also has around 30 indicated on the computer (Ok Deduct maybe 1.5 from that.)

I suppose having bought 3 models now says I'm a fan.

Any specific questions just yell.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Johnb
Thank you for that very reassuring, I drove the SE at the weekend and liked it a lot, although our local dealer is hopeless, the car was a 2018 with 11000 mile showing, already had new tyres on the front , and the boot wouldn't open, despite me having booked the test drive 3 days earlier hence my questions,the one I favour is 200 miles away but is the Premium, much as I liked the HUD and sunroof and 360 camera, I can live without them, I read another review that said the same about the lane guidance, but as I have never had it before will give it the benefit of the doubt,to be honest with my manual gearbox I have never really got to grips with the auto hold, and as a result my partner has never driven it, I hope the automatic will mean she can now share the driving. My personal preference is not to have the diamond cut wheels, so the one I am considering is 18'' alloys, and I have almost convinced myself, not much further to go,the front has grown on me, and I am hoping the headlights will be an improvement on my older model as they never really matched the rest of the car in my opinion.Can I please ask which sort of towbar you have , I am leaning towards a fixed swan neck, having always had fixed flange on previous cars.

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
I'm sure you'll be pleased with the car!
All 3 cars were fitted with a towbar by Barnsley Towbar Centre. We bought all the cars from a dealer in Barnsley (we live about 40 miles away) because they offered the best deal).
I suspect that many dealers will "farm out" their tow bars as mine did.
I have had removable Swan necked on all three cars. Initially because I thought the rear sensors would cause problems with a fixed bar - since know that's not the case, but in the latest one, as to be fair the other two, when removed there is no sign of a bar ever been fitted. The 13 pin socket just folds away.
My preference for the detachable is based on sore shins! Need I say more.
The current car has a detachable Tow Trust bar fitted, rated at 145kg.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mr0O_tk6tc

I read of the odd issues that are attributed to detachable tow bars but my own take is that these are not simply invented in a garden shed but are carefully designed to do the job they are intended to do. If users can't attach them properly that's not a criticism of the design but more the user! I don't go moaning to a car manufacturer if I forget to depress the clutch and damage the car!
The Tow Trust design has a dedicated place to affix a breakaway cable although I have added a "D" link to make it easier on the knees!
I can't really comment on the lights because the new one has clever turn corners lights and probably different "bulbs" too than my previous model. But I had never considered head lights to be inadequate in fairness.
Just to say that the self levelling works a treat. No sagging at the rear.
We had one issue with the cars that was repaired under warranty. We pay for the service scheme and in fairness they seem to do a good job, albeit rather more expensive than the local dealer. The last car had a slight leak from one of the self levelling thingies at 3 years old. The garage noticed and replaced it for me - cost to them was over £1,000! So some bits are not cheap but you get 5 years warranty.
Best of luck with your car. I am sure you'll be delighted. There are many on this forum, and others, who are strong supporters of the Hyundai and The Kia.
As for the hybrid............. We made a considered decision to ignore it and buy a new diesel car just over one year ago. We know how this performs and it's as clean as it can be I think. Maybe in a few years time something will be around that offers similar benefits but no pollution. I may consider it but will certainly not if the convenience of "re-fueling" is any worse than now. Towing abroad and some days covering long distances is not an activity I intend to undertake if I need to somehow locate a empty electricity supply point and wait for 45 mins or more before being able to continue my journey!
Bring on electric cars but not before facilities are available I say! Mmmmm. Sorry for that!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thank you for your reply, I have made up my mind and am due to collect the car from Preston on Saturday.400 mile round trip, but so far the dealer has been very good, sent videos etc,looking forward to it now. I am with you on electric but of an age when this Santa Fe should last me out for towing,all being well. Thinking of fixed swan neck rated at 150, by going fixed it is one less thing for me to worry about, and I know from experience when I had an encounter with a BMW running in the back of my Shogun that a fixed bar does offer some protection. We have 2 friends who tow with Kia Sorento and Santa Fe,one switched from LRover the other from Honda and we have all been impressed with the reliability and value for money.Thank you so much for your input it has been very useful.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
So we picked up the new to us Santa Fe today,dealership were very good, not quite the colour i was expecting, but they offered another different colour grey instead, but would have had to wait until Tuesday for delivery and our is still grey. outcome is that I have a rubber bootliner from our previous Santa Fe that fits 2013 -2018 models, and if it is of use to anybody, they can have it for the cost of postage, or collection from Wiltshire, ideally send me a personal message please if it is of interest.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
So we picked up the new to us Santa Fe today,dealership were very good, not quite the colour i was expecting, but they offered another different colour grey instead, but would have had to wait until Tuesday for delivery and our is still grey. outcome is that I have a rubber bootliner from our previous Santa Fe that fits 2013 -2018 models, and if it is of use to anybody, they can have it for the cost of postage, or collection from Wiltshire, ideally send me a personal message please if it is of interest.
I hope you enjoy your new car ;)

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site

I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Thank you for your reply, I have made up my mind and am due to collect the car from Preston on Saturday.400 mile round trip, but so far the dealer has been very good, sent videos etc,looking forward to it now. I am with you on electric but of an age when this Santa Fe should last me out for towing,all being well. Thinking of fixed swan neck rated at 150, by going fixed it is one less thing for me to worry about, and I know from experience when I had an encounter with a BMW running in the back of my Shogun that a fixed bar does offer some protection. We have 2 friends who tow with Kia Sorento and Santa Fe,one switched from LRover the other from Honda and we have all been impressed with the reliability and value for money.Thank you so much for your input it has been very useful.

Would that be Chorley, Preston? I've also just bought from them, a grey one. lol
They brought it up for me, and took away the old one.
Very impressed with it so far, it replaced a 2014 Premium, get towbat fitted later today.

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Im over the moon with my Santa fe(except for one small,annoying problem).
I seem to have a screw worked loose inside the front passenger side doorcard.
How dam annoying.
Most of the time it just seems to slide up and down(whilst accelerating and braking) but occasionally it does seem to go quiet as if it gets stuck somewhere.
Is there an easy way to release the bottom of the door card without taking it off completely,where I may be able to get my hand inside to retrieve it,or the whole lot has to come off?🤔

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Im over the moon with my Santa fe(except for one small,annoying problem).
I seem to have a screw worked loose inside the front passenger side doorcard.
How dam annoying.
Most of the time it just seems to slide up and down(whilst accelerating and braking) but occasionally it does seem to go quiet as if it gets stuck somewhere.
Is there an easy way to release the bottom of the door card without taking it off completely,where I may be able to get my hand inside to retrieve it,or the whole lot has to come off?🤔
Use proper push rivet release tools and the card should remove without risk of damage. Lots on eBay. Search trim rivet/clip release tools.

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Thank you Otherclive.
Yes,I've watched quite a few videos on You Tube that show how to remove the whole doorcard.
I'm just wondering though if I'm able to just "make a gap" at the bottom to get to the screw.
As you said,get the proper tool and have a go.👍

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Thank you Otherclive.
Yes,I've watched quite a few videos on You Tube that show how to remove the whole doorcard.
I'm just wondering though if I'm able to just "make a gap" at the bottom to get to the screw.
As you said,get the proper tool and have a go.👍
You will have to try and then the screw can be sorted :)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Supatramp 1

It was Chorley Nissan, the deal was very good,sadly I ordered grey but got green,actual name is rainforest, also mileage was not as described and they promsed to send second key on to me. When it didn't arrive I had to chase twice as salesman had twice lied to me, in the end I rejected the car as it was not as described. Eventually they agreed to collect and refund,after my threatening court action,in the meantime I was offered £1250 more than paid for it by We Buy any Car. The car itself was to replace our 2013 Premium, which they sold within 3 days. I had a Tow Trust fixed flange towbar fitted with the Hyundai 12 pin electric kit and everything worked perfectly, both car and caravan have led lights.I think Chorley Group worry more about their Trust Pilot rating than customers, I was told MD was on annual leave, but he appeared to be answering reviews on Trust Pilot at same time. They appear to have a number of Santa Fe' that they register each month and then move on at a good price, most seem to be Premium models, I am currently looking at Premium SE in metallic grey elsewhere.
Hope you enjoy your new car,and that it serves you well.

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Sorry Woodsie, I haven't checked in here for a while, so didn't see your reply.

They delivered it to me, and took the old one away, very happy with the over all deal. But, a couple of days later I notice that the towing eye cover was missing from the rear bumper, I don't know whether it hadn't been fitted properly, but they agreed to reimburse me for sourcing from a local dealer. Also, the service book hadn't been filled in, was completely blank, no original deals, the vin number etc, I must admit I've still to take this up with them.

I got a Towsure detachable towball fitted, very pleased with it and you wouldn't know it was there when not in use.

So, very pleased with the car so far, it's noticeably more economical both solo and towing, and it would seem that the 8th gear is like an overdrive, thus accounting for the improved mpg.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Supertamp,
Good to know you are pleased with your car, we ended up keeping the green one ,asWBAC offered me more than I had paid Chorley,but I could not get the replacement I was after.The car tows well, but I do turn off the lane assist and the stop start when towing,now done 2500 miles since June, mostly towing,only slight downside is that I find that if it has been raining ,when I open the rear doors the water runs into the car. On the whole I am pleased with the car, but still not sure I would trust Chorley enough to buy from them again.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Woodsieboy, glad your New to you, SF is working out, My Premium has just clocked up 75k miles, and I still don't have to top up the oil between services, but I do oil changes at 10 k miles. And new ones having 7 year warranties, fantasic.

Last edited:
Reactions: GeorgeandAde

TRENDING THREADS