Sante Fe automatic versus Manual version

Nov 7, 2007
Visit site
Does an automatic gearbox have a noticeable effect on towing a caravan. I am trying to decide on automatic versus manual Hydundai Sante fe to tow a Baileys Ranger twin axle

Jun 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi, I have an auto Sorento and would not go back to manual for towing. The small extar on fuel more than offsets the ease of pitching on difficult CLs etc, and it is a boon when stuck in M-way and town crawls.

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
Check out the fuel emissions for the road tax.

I know that the new auto Sorrento is in a higher tax class than the manual.

This could apply to more 06 manual v auto models.

G.

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Have you bought yet? Are they both diesels? The older santa autos were 3.5 petrols with massive consumption.

We had a manual santa and nw have an auto sorento. Would never go back for towing. Easier on site and in traffic.

Dec 27, 2006
Visit site
Changed to an auto 2 years ago and wouldn't go back to manual. Towing is so much easier and reversing with the van is a peace of cake, no dipping and burning the clutch. The fuel consumption is marginally more with an auto but nothing like it used to be on old auto s. One thing though is to check the towing limits as sometimes auto s and manual have different limits.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
In general, automatic transmissions are better in all respects bar two - there is a marginal loss of performance and economy. Tow car's with torque converter transmissions are better than manuals because of the extra torque starting off. The engine and transmission are cushioned to provide a smoother ride and extend component life.

Solo or towing, almost all drivers that have automatics would never consider a manual again.

For me, the biggest single advantage of autobox towing is when the cruise control is set - it simply maintains the chosen speed without intervention on hills - manuals need cruise resetting every gearchange.

Check specifications as some automatics have lower towing limits than their equivalent manual - but only because the manufacturer has specified a "low" torque autobox.

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
hi we changed from an 07 sedona to an 57 auto santa fe cdx7. i wouldnt go back to a manual now. we havent gone away with the van yet but we are on friday. we have towed it to and from the dealers and its great. so smooth and if you do need to go manual then you have got a choice because it has the tiptronic gearbox best of both worlds.

go on buy the auto.

jo-anne

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
A worthy note to add on buying an automatic,the emmissions tend to be more than manuals.The santa fe manual is 190 the auto is 218 at present they are in the 186-225 bracket

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
When did the govt announce the top band reduction from 225 to 210? In any case vehicles bought before the date will retain their banding, in the same way that pre-06 cars retain their original banding.

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
I didnt say 210.

They will drop the banding to 215 in line with there proposal to cut co2 by 16%,the car lease companies have pre warned varies companies,They charged cars registered from March 2006 and the tax didnt get announced or come into force until 2007 what makes you think they wont backdate again.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The introduction of the over 225 band was introduced on 23rd March 2006 and was effective immediately for applicable cars registered on or after that date.

I'm just surprised that you know the band is changing when other motoring experts don't.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts