sat dish -OLD SKY BOX-TV

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
Hi
Can anyone help with how to get the tv, old sky box and sat dish to work. (They are all connected up)
This has come with my new unit but no instructions just the tv remote and the sky remote

Any sugestions would help

Cheers

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Hi,
I have used a sky box from time to time, without a viewing card you will be able to get the non-encrypted channels I think which is basically the free ones!
It takes a bit of practice, and indeed i actually find it easier to use by Freesat box to initially alight the dish to the Astra 28 group as it has a signal strength bar, once ive done that I connect the sky box.
Ive used this website http://www.satelliteforcaravans.co.uk/ with sucess before.
Thanks
Rob

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Dave

We take our home sky box away with us . Some years ago I used an old sky box and had to buy a "for life" card from sky for £20.00 which enabled us to get all the free sat channels.
http://www.satelliteforcaravans.co.uk
This is the site of David Sullivan that Rob mentioned and imo is still the definitive site for "how to set up a dish"etc.
With practice and patience you will soon get set up fairly quickly, but not like using an aerial. Very slow small adjustments every 30 seconds or so and do pay regard to the angle of elevation for where you are.

Aug 10, 2009
Visit site
Dave, i have just spent a pleasant hour or so doing exactly what you are trying to do. I found copying the alignement of other dishes i could see, and then watching the signal strength meter from the sky box. a bit frustating but worth it went it works!!

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
If you have an IPhone there is an app which shows you the direction your dish should point. I also use a compass it should be pointing to 149.59 degrees magnetic north. Also if you use a Freesat box as previously said it has a bar meter which gives you a signal strength. Also make sure your dish elevation is about 20 degrees. The actual elevation is 22.17 degrees.

Once you manage to get it right it becomes easier next time.

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Hi Dave,
When I first got my sat system for the van I set it up on my drive. 1st I set the dish in the same direction as my house dish. Ensuring that the LMB angle was set at about 7.00 O'clock. Having found the signal I then marked the position of the LMB arm and the asimuth (tilt) on the dish stand. Next I marked magnetic north on the stand.
Now my first job is to set the stand to North (compass required) then align all the other marks and I am very close to the best signal. Always make sure you have clear line of sight to the sat though as trees etc. will block the signal.

May 2, 2005
Visit site
I have used the following for years and can now get up and running in less than 10 mins.

Site dish on tripod with dish vertical and facing south. Cheap compass will do.
Press "services" on Sky Box (SB) move to "settings", select it and move to "signal" and select that.
Ignore the "signal strength" and "signal quality" at the moment.
Now turn dish to the East a very small amount at a time and leave at each stage for about 10 - 15 seconds.
What you are looking for on the TV screen is
Input 1 Lock..OK
Input 1 Network ID...0002
Input 1 Transport Stream...07d4
You can fine tune the dish position to improve signal strengths, but anything half way or better will do.
As said previously, avoid trees
If you pick anything else on the above inputs, you may have to switch off the SB at the mains to reset it. Some sky boxes won't let you re-tune after picking up a signal unless you power off at mains.

Aug 2, 2006
Visit site
I built a budget sat system for a feature in the magazine in about 2009 which used an old Sky dish, an old Sky box and a inverted rotary washing line.

Apart from the lack of fine adjustment for the dish where it clamped onto the washing line, it worked pretty well. The point about the phone app for aligning the dish - that sounds epic. I always copy everyone else on site or use an audio satfinder which I got from Maplins

Cheers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts