Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We have a TomTom Go Camper and you can input the dimensions of the units. The TT will avoid taking you down unsuitable roads or if necessary to warn you the road may be unsuitable if towing a caravan. You can select between "car" only or Car & caravan".

Reactions: PTA
Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
I use a generic Sat Nav (built in based on Tom Tom maps) but rehearse the route on Google Street view to check what is offered!

Mar 3, 2022
Visit site
A good road atlas to plot the route prior to departure, an HGV sat nav as support during the journey and follow the sites instructions for final approach.

Feb 13, 2024
Visit site
Years ago I drove H.G.V,s and everyone had a sat nav, It was called your tongue, stopped and asked someone directions. How times have changed!! ( For the better or worse? ).

JB1

Aug 4, 2022
Visit site
I believe if you have a Tomtom you can plan your route on a laptop etc in their software MyDrive and specify what sort of vehicle and size is being used .

Reactions: Buckman
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I believe if you have a Tomtom you can plan your route on a laptop etc in their software MyDrive and specify what sort of vehicle and size is being used .
My Garmin can be programmed from the PC using Garmin Basecamp and the way points downloaded to the Garmin.

May 10, 2020
Visit site
I never tow without my sat nav but I don’t believe everything it tells me without first checking the route. Sooner or later it will recommend some very strange and challenging routes. It is very handy on getting you back on the correct track when you have made a wrong turn though.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
If you have a smartphone you can download mapping software which may be free or a relatively small cost.

My opinion is to look at a map for the main major parts of your route, and use a SatNav or whatever as a street map. Either way it may still send you down a narrow one-way road!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If you have a smartphone you can download mapping software which may be free or a relatively small cost.

My opinion is to look at a map for the main major parts of your route, and use a SatNav or whatever as a street map. Either way it may still send you down a narrow one-way road!
Sometimes there is no choice as only way to get to the destination. Touch wood, so far we have had no hassles with out TomTom Go Camper.

Sep 12, 2021
Visit site
I use a Garmin Navigation Tourer Avtex2 - put the dimensions of car and caravan in and so far (last 2 seasons) have had no problems, and twice rerouted us due to road closures.
I always check the route on G Maps/Earth first anyway, just to familiarise myself with it.

Steve

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
I use a Garmin Navigation Tourer Avtex2 - put the dimensions of car and caravan in and so far (last 2 seasons) have had no problems, and twice rerouted us due to road closures.
I always check the route on G Maps/Earth first anyway, just to familiarise myself with it.

Steve
I have an earlier version and agree, routing always takes me along the site recommended approach. Excellent device.

Reactions: Steve1962

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts