Satelite TV

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
Anyone clued up on free standing satelite tv systems for caravans - which are the easiest to set up and get good reception etc - any advice appreciated

Apr 9, 2007
Visit site
Hi i would not bother the amount of trouble we has trying to get a signal was a nightmare, if you have trees near by it effects the signal.

I use a freeview box now and had no problems at all hope this helps Mark

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Michael. for cheapness and ease its got to be the Maplins in a case satellite system.

It does depend on your needs as regards TV viewing of course,probably the best in the UK but abroad others will advise you.

All in all a good

Oct 9, 2006
Visit site
Michael. for cheapness and ease its got to be the Maplins in a case satellite system.

It does depend on your needs as regards TV viewing of course,probably the best in the UK but abroad others will advise you.

All in all a good

Jan 31, 2008
Visit site
In the 20 times we've been away in the caravan in the year since we bought it, I've never failed to get a signal. I can now set up the dish in under 60 seconds every single time. It's really not that hard.

Jul 25, 2007
Visit site
In the 20 times we've been away in the caravan in the year since we bought it, I've never failed to get a signal. I can now set up the dish in under 60 seconds every single time. It's really not that hard.
I too use one of the "suitcase" types from Maplin and have never had a problem setting up. Like Legsmaniac, I get a signal within 60 seconds and agree with him ............. it REALLY is not that hard.

I dont even need or use a satfinder as the signal bar on the receiver does the job perfectly well.

I think that one of the problems is that the advice given by some "experts" on forums is over complicated and / or simply rubbish.

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
Hi Michael, As has already been said practice makes setting up easier, also I would say a little thought in the choice of pitch {if indeed it is your choice} to avoid the situation that mark describes ie avoid trees tall buildings etc

I use a Maxview 66cm dish and do not have any problem in most cases, indeed sometimes you point the dish in the general direction by looking at others around you and off it goes, on other occasions it just takes a little patience.

You are right in choosing a freestanding dish as this gives you the scope to move it around to obtain a clear line of site to the satellite.

JTS

Jan 16, 2007
Visit site
Jon,

Why not get yourself right up to date. If I was starting up again (Ihave all my kit but will be updating soon) I would buy myself a FREESAT Digital box (

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
With normal analouge TV if you have a poor signal you will get a poor but watchable picture, but with Digital if you get a poor signal you will get nothing.Since we are all going digital over the next 2 years and caravans are so low to the ground, poor signal is the norm in many areas. So sat TV is definatly the way to go.There is no need to go Sky and pay for anything all your digital progs are available FOC.

Aug 8, 2007
Visit site
Hi

Hugh - I read somewhere that when the whole country has changed over, the digital signal strength is to be boosted.

Therefore, you should get digital everywhere and anywhere.

Can't recall where I read that....

Mac

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Mac you are correct the power will go up when the big switchover happens .

Just a quick point here if anybody gets a little bit of breakdown in signal dont worry that will go .

If the power was turned up now it would would wipe out terrestial altogether

Regards Sir Roger

JTS

Jan 16, 2007
Visit site
Yes they have decided to increase the signal strengh of FREEVIEW I believe from 8mbs to 12mbs, this is to increase the availablity of FREEVIEW to areas not able to receive FREEVIEW TV at present. This has nothing to do with satellite signals.

Good luck JTS.

Jan 28, 2008
Visit site
I bought a case set from LIDL earlier this year, haven't managed to get a single channel on it yet, It's going back. Also bought a TV with freeview, can't get a signal anywhere in the 'van (status 530 roof mounted aerial)

Mind you, with the dross that's on the box nowadays can't say I'm that bothered.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sir Roger

At the risk of being repetitive Could you give me a bit of advice on the maplin set up. I have no problem at all tuning it in and setting it. However the channel list seems to have a lot that I cannot pick up and some very strange names! some are "streaming ones" I have printed out a list of frequencies off lyngsat and managed to set some up manually. However my Friend got one last week which I set up at the weekend and he has 200 odd channels [I have 102] can I just run the channel scan on astra to get them all updated? I am loathe to press the button in case I lose the lot!! Would appreciate your comments

DavidC

Lancs

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Hi Davidc

I would suggest a complete rescan as we have just been away and found more channels since last away.

Make sure when you scan tho that you are 28.2 its sad that the programmes dont come down in order but as you have probably found by now you can put stations into you favourites and go from there.We did find this weekend that that was loads of new channels all up in the 1100 plus numbers. I hope this helps

Sir Roger

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
David c If you would like to you can email me .

ASk the mods for my email address I authorise them to give it to you If needed

Regards Sir Roger.

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
We have the LIDLE sat ' and its very good for what i want, however my wife does not share the same view as there is no text, although it does say there is for some stations. I know if i go on the computer i can get most of them. Her problem is not knowing what times programs start.

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I use freeview, satellite and analogue depending on what i can get. Firstly do you always use mains electric? If yes the advice oin this thread is good. If not then you need a Maxview satellite box, the only one that is 12 volt. Point the dish at astra 28 degrees and you gettune in rem about 200 channels including all the bbc and itv, also channel 4. All free. I haven't found a 12 volt freeview box yet so use a mains one from Aldi(

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have been using Sky analogue,digital and now Sky+ on mains 230V when available but it works just as well when needs must through a small inverter on 12V

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
I use freeview, satellite and analogue depending on what i can get. Firstly do you always use mains electric? If yes the advice oin this thread is good. If not then you need a Maxview satellite box, the only one that is 12 volt. Point the dish at astra 28 degrees and you gettune in rem about 200 channels including all the bbc and itv, also channel 4. All free. I haven't found a 12 volt freeview box yet so use a mains one from Aldi(

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts