scotland at easter

Mar 19, 2006
Visit site
hi can anyone recomend a safe place to stop overnight north of glasgow close to motorway before A82 please,going to bunree caravan club site and thinking of leaving at 7 pm from merseyside,have 19th month baby on board should be easier driving at night but dont think i could make it all the way,thanks paul

Nov 27, 2006
Visit site
i live in glasgow outskirts and i wouldnt stop anywhere with in a 25 miles radius of glasgow, unless in a recognised site

and definately wouldnt stop on loch lomond, its full of gypo,s,

untidy,unclean and not suitable for human population unless you all have hazardous sunbstances suits for all of u.

An automatic shotgun something that u dont need to waste time reloading, as its gettin wild, i pass loch lomond,(the dump) all the time at night early morning and all the nutters stop and party in the laybyes doing all sorts of unsavoury things, and theirs gypo,s everywhere eyeing up your gear.

DISGUSTING

definately not a nice place for you or your wee ones

i would say stop for the night outside glasgow region, then pass through it as fast as you can and dont stop till you hit tarbert

Nov 27, 2006
Visit site
Lomond Woods caravan site is very nice and just off the A82 at Balloch. It may be booked up for Easter though
yes the site is nice,

pity its so near the haldane but eh.drunks and junky city, ever noticed all the in site cctv, but if u stay in the site u might not see it, or if its raining, if its sunny be prepared And its a shame the manager of the site batters along in his matasuki pick up, not bothering too much about the site limits for speed, been their done it.

complained about the managers speed, in 1 ear out the other

oh and just outside the site theirs a mc donalds and a chinese restaurant, so theirs pleny of bored teenagers about

i could go on and on,

but weve two sons one 2 and one 5, so we have to be careful about which sites to choose,

these things ive mentioned may not bother others

Aug 29, 2006
Visit site
What about the caravan club site at Blairdrummond just north of Stirling. Only a couple of miles north of the M9 on the A84 which is another route North to the A82.

Feb 26, 2007
Visit site
Paul,

I'm assuming that you are a Caravan Club member.

We live in Milngavie ( 8 miles north of Glasgow ) and there is a CL 5mins drive up the road from us.It has toilet and shower facilities and would be fine for an overnight stop.Milngavie also has a good range of shops if you need anything ( Tesco's, M&S food shop and many others.)From here it would take approx 20mins to get back on to the main road north and we could give you directions.

Laura paints a terrible picture.....yes there are travellers using some of the lay bys at Loch Lomond...but let's keep a balanced view of things.......I was down at Loch Lomond at the weekend and had a really great time.Fantastic weather and wonderful scenery.

Let us know what you decide.

Feb 26, 2007
Visit site
Paul,

We live in Milngavie ( 8 miles north of Glasgow ) and there is a CL 5mins drive up the road from us.It has toilet and shower facilities and would be fine for an overnight stop.Milngavie also has a good range of shops if you need anything ( Tesco's, M&S food shop and many others.)From here it would take approx 20mins to get back on to the main road north and we could give you directions.

Laura paints a terrible picture.....yes there are travellers using some of the lay bys at Loch Lomond...but let's keep a balanced view of things.......I was down at Loch Lomond at the weekend and had a really great time.Fantastic weather and wonderful scenery.

Sorry,I left details of the CL off.

AA Bell,Bankell Farm,Milngavie.

Tel no.(0141) 956 1733 or 4643

bankellfarm@aol.com

Page 520 under the heading Glasgow ( Sites Directory )

Jul 15, 2006
Visit site
yes the site is nice,

pity its so near the haldane but eh.drunks and junky city, ever noticed all the in site cctv, but if u stay in the site u might not see it, or if its raining, if its sunny be prepared And its a shame the manager of the site batters along in his matasuki pick up, not bothering too much about the site limits for speed, been their done it.

complained about the managers speed, in 1 ear out the other

oh and just outside the site theirs a mc donalds and a chinese restaurant, so theirs pleny of bored teenagers about

i could go on and on,

but weve two sons one 2 and one 5, so we have to be careful about which sites to choose,

these things ive mentioned may not bother others
We've been to the area and the site many times and not seen the things you mention. We were in the area last weekend (not in our caravan) and saw 1 layby with gypsies in. The rest was as lovely as ever - just my opinion.

I DO avoid MacDonalds though!!

Jul 15, 2006
Visit site
Paul,

I agree that the area is great. I love it

Feb 26, 2007
Visit site
Oklahoma,

Whereabouts do you live?

We are so lucky to have all this scenery on our door-step.Half an hour to the Trossachs and an hour to Loch Lomond and surrounding panorama.We are off to the very north of Scotland in May......miles of emptiness.....wonderful :eek:)

Jul 15, 2006
Visit site
Oklahoma,

Whereabouts do you live?

We are so lucky to have all this scenery on our door-step.Half an hour to the Trossachs and an hour to Loch Lomond and surrounding panorama.We are off to the very north of Scotland in May......miles of emptiness.....wonderful :eek:)
I agree with you Maureen, you are very lucky!! We can get there in 3 and a half to four hours from Co. Durham (on a good day)and we travel up many times.

Where I live in Co Durham is not too picturesque to say the least but we are not far from The Lake District, Yorkshire Moors and Dales and open countryside to the north of us and easy visits to Scotland so we are not too badly off

We're going to Bunree, Brora and Braemar at the end of May

Feb 26, 2007
Visit site
Paul,

There is also the Camping and Caravanning Club Site at Luss which would be useful to you....just remembered....they don't allow you to have one overnight stop......seems a very short sighted policy for people who are travelling.

Apr 3, 2007
Visit site
We have stayed at Lomond woods on lots of occassions in the past 2 years & never come across any of the issues you have stated its a lovely place & Balloch people have always been really friendly

May 13, 2006
Visit site
Paul,

That's one helluva damnation of both Loch Lomond and Glasgow and not one I recognize.

However, I'd recommend coming up the A74, leaving it at junction 12 Happendon and crossing to the A73 then Lanark, Carluke, by-passing Airdrie, still on the A73, and onto the A80/M80, leaving at the A84 for Callander, Lochearnhead, Glenogle, Crianlarich, Tyndrum, Glen Coe,(spectacular) Ballachulish and to Bunree.

Good sites at Blair Drummond and two just before Callander (Keltie Bridge and The Gart).

Rob S.

May 13, 2006
Visit site
Paul,

That's one helluva damnation of both Loch Lomond and Glasgow and not one I recognize.

However, I'd recommend coming up the A74, leaving it at junction 12 Happendon and crossing to the A73 then Lanark, Carluke, by-passing Airdrie, still on the A73, and onto the A80/M80, leaving at the A84 for Callander, Lochearnhead, Glenogle, Crianlarich, Tyndrum, Glen Coe,(spectacular) Ballachulish and to Bunree.

Good sites at Blair Drummond and two just before Callander (Keltie Bridge and The Gart).

Rob S.
I'm just back from a week at North Ledaig, North of Oban, and have just realised I'm too late to be giving you advice. Maybe next time!

Rob S.

RJC

Jul 6, 2005
Visit site
i live in glasgow outskirts and i wouldnt stop anywhere with in a 25 miles radius of glasgow, unless in a recognised site

and definately wouldnt stop on loch lomond, its full of gypo,s,

untidy,unclean and not suitable for human population unless you all have hazardous sunbstances suits for all of u.

An automatic shotgun something that u dont need to waste time reloading, as its gettin wild, i pass loch lomond,(the dump) all the time at night early morning and all the nutters stop and party in the laybyes doing all sorts of unsavoury things, and theirs gypo,s everywhere eyeing up your gear.

DISGUSTING

definately not a nice place for you or your wee ones

i would say stop for the night outside glasgow region, then pass through it as fast as you can and dont stop till you hit tarbert
Hi all

I feel I have to put the record straight on Laura's post regarding Glasgow and surrounding area. I come from Aberdeen originally so I am not Glasgow born and bred but I have to say that in all my 30 odd years of living in the Glasgow area I have not come across any of the rot that Laura has written.

As regards the Loch Lomond area - and Balloch in particular - yes there are perhaps some unsavoury individuals who occasionally go there and spoil it for the rest but that happens everywhere. I can honestly say that I have visited the Loch Lomond area many times and find it beautiful and very often very peaceful.

Please do not be put off by Laura's views and visit this lovely corner of the world.

Finally a message for Laura - if you think the way you do and broadcast it the manner you do then you obviously have issues with the region so please do yourself and the rest of us who live here and enjoy the area a favour and move!!!!

Nov 27, 2006
Visit site
Hi all

I feel I have to put the record straight on Laura's post regarding Glasgow and surrounding area. I come from Aberdeen originally so I am not Glasgow born and bred but I have to say that in all my 30 odd years of living in the Glasgow area I have not come across any of the rot that Laura has written.

As regards the Loch Lomond area - and Balloch in particular - yes there are perhaps some unsavoury individuals who occasionally go there and spoil it for the rest but that happens everywhere. I can honestly say that I have visited the Loch Lomond area many times and find it beautiful and very often very peaceful.

Please do not be put off by Laura's views and visit this lovely corner of the world.

Finally a message for Laura - if you think the way you do and broadcast it the manner you do then you obviously have issues with the region so please do yourself and the rest of us who live here and enjoy the area a favour and move!!!!
yes your right i have issues with balloch and loch lomond as we live in killearn, where their is no unsavoury goings on,

i passed the lochside today and theirs litter everywhere and yes plenty of travelling folk,

as i said earlier this may not put anyone else off the area,but i remember it from 30 years or so ago,

what a difference,

im sorry if my earlier post offended you, indeed i am, but its the truth, balloch and loch lomond, has become very run down,

due to neds and illegal overnight parking and dumping,

laura

p.s.

we just got back from glencoe and the fort area today,decided to stay an extra week,

beautiful and very clean

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts