Scotland

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I would like to explain to all the English readers that these people are not Scots as we know it. They belong to a strange world north of the silvery Tay and bounded by mountains in the west, a land which time, and man has often forgot. Even Beeching thought that closing the railway would be a saving, in more ways than one. The language is strange and the customs even stranger (not allowed to say 'qu..r') and is a place where the girls smell of fish, even after washing and the boys are called 'loons'. In the main town, you still meet at 'C&A's corner' although that establishment has been gone for over 20 years, but the locals had not noticed and 'Grab a Granny nights' were first invented here in the 1970's. Terrible televison spawned terrible things?. A town that enjoyed the wealth of North Sea oil for over 30 years, and blew the lot, and is now bankrupt.

To the north lie the coastal towns of the 'Broch' where among the things of note, are the H.M. Prison and a castle that was the setting for Bram Stoker's famous novel. The welcoming phrase to visitors, 'You'll have had your tea, then' has oft been associated with Edinburgh for many years, but the people from the north east managed to achieve a reputation for parsimony that even out did the Edinburgh one. A landlady from the north east was a person to be feared, especially if you dared ask for a 2nd piece of bacon with your breakfast. Ah, I knew it well, both as a young man and full adulthood. I managed to sire 2 children within its boundaries, well, the local television was unintelligible what with Grampian News and the Beechgrove Garden, so I needed something to pass the long dark evenings. I did try to explain to my offspring as they grew, the attractions of the civilised south, but only one paid heed. I suspect the woollen grey knickers demanded by St Margaret's School had something to do with that. The other still lives happily?? enjoying the haar in summer and the wind in winter, as long as we send regular parcels of food from Waitrose and gifts from IKEA.

So, dear reader. Venture into this strange land and wonder, however take heed of the warning signs above the road at Dundee. 'Abandon all hope all ye who pass,' and look forward to a safe return to Scotland!!!!!!!!!!

Hee! Hee!
Quote .. 'and is a place where the girls smell of fish, even after washing and the boys are called 'loons'.

... and I'm still laffin' this mornin' ... heh! heh! heh!

Aug 12, 2005
Visit site
Fit like Rusty

I'm not from Aberdeenshire but Kincardineshire. I went to school in Inverurie. Does that count?

We're planning to go to the C&CC site in Moffat and then to the Lake district in June if we can find a CC site with any spaces. We also hope to go to a nice CS in Turriff for a family get together in April. Apart from that, possibly Tarland, Speyside and Orkney (without the van).
No Alona, not that one, we're planning to use the CS on the outskirts. We've been there before and it's got loads of space and it's very reasonably priced. Thanks for the tip on the butcher.

G

I am from the south but went to University in the Granite City in the 60's. The phrase was on a very large hoarding that was situated at the side of the road to Ellon, and was there for years. Every time I passed I could not stop laughing, even though I never visited Turriff.

In the 70's I returned to work for Shell Expro when their main office was a bungalow on Bon Accord Street and they told me that I could only get a 2 year Contract as 'they did not know if there was any oil in the North Sea'. 1 year later I was involved with 19 drilling rigs and got my full time Contract.

May 28, 2008
Visit site
Aye Scotch Lad ye hiv us doon tae a tee.

Used to go to the dancing at the Douglas Hotel where the saying was, only two things smell of fish & one of them is fish.

Still as long as you got a trap it didnae matter what they smelt like.

G

I did visit it once to take a girl to a dance. Cost 3 shillings to get in, but as it was all ballroom stuff we kinda felt a bit out of things. The girl was a student at the Doe School. She left me after a year married a tractor driver and went to Australia. Must have been somehting I said.

You must have also been familiar with the 'Scrappy Valley' as it was the place for quite a number of years.

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Used to go to the dancing at the Douglas Hotel where the saying was, only two things smell of fish & one of them is fish.

wee bit of inconsistency here, i posted a joke which was so similar to this and it was deleted straight away, also got an email from mods explaining all about the sesitivity of other forum members, but this has remained, hmm.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Hello MacH,

Welcome back, it may be that like the BBC who did not understand the line in the Beatles song Penny Lane, about Fish & Finger Pie.

Best regards,

George

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts