Scratches on Alloys

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Whilst getting my whees off to fit the shocks some of the lacker has come off the wheels inside where the bolts are. can you get touch up lacker to cover this. If not will it corrode without?

Kevin

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
It will corrode in time and lift more laquer as time goes by, I asked one of the boy racers employed by my local Halfords who advised me to buy a can of spray laquer from another car parts custom wheel shop that he used ;-)

Nov 29, 2007
Visit site
Be a bit carefull what you do. I don't know about laquer but I do know that the mating surfaces between the wheel & hub and the bolt heads & wheel must be clean and free of paint. Failure to keep these surfaces free will affect the tourque of the wheels and may lead to wheel loss. This is a well established fact, at least on truck wheels, and I don't see why cavavan wheels should be any different. Halford's "boy racers" are exactly that, they are not trained technical advisors.

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
The clue was in " advised me to buy a can of spray laquer from another car parts custom wheel shop " they fit wheels and do know what they are talking about and run a wheel refurbishment business so sold me the appropriate laquer.

I've experienced the Halfords failings when buying a Satnav, but some young boy racers do look after their cars and know how to keep their cars, wheels and exhausts gleaming.

Jan 7, 2007
Visit site
Mid-thirties now, but used to be a boy-racer ! When I was young(er), I used to nick my mums clear nail varnish, worked a treat and was free of charge (!)

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Brian fantastic idea. I didnt want to use spray as its only inside the tube bit the bolts go into through the wheel. Crap design really as any wheel brace will scratch off the laquer.

Another job on my list of DIY, the problem is the list grows faster than I can tick them off.

Thanks again Brian

Kevin

Nov 29, 2007
Visit site
Hi Kevin

To stop this happening again next time you have the wheels off you could try one of the special sockets for alloy wheels. It's just a thin walled deep socket with a plastic sleeve. Available at Halfords and other car parts shops.

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Chrisbee, ill look out for one. I did wonder how the dealer didnt peel then laquer when it had its servce, now I know.

Kevin

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts