Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
Hi

can any one help me please, I had a back operation in Jan. and I was wondering if any one can tell me if screw pegs are easy to use and if they are as good as they say they are

Many thanks

Phil

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Phil

I've had the 8" steel ones for 5 years and found them very good. I tend to hammer them in and then use the cordless drill for extraction. Dead easy and saves the back.

Cheers

Dustydog

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Phil, I bought these pegs too, i also have had a back operation and anything to make life easy is appreciated, but i think they are only good on soft pitches, i go to the Lakes alot where the pitches are all hard and have never managed to get them in succesfully, just my opinion of course.

Jul 16, 2007
Visit site
Hmmm!

I'm currently on hardstanding at Bury CC Site. I now remember why we don't like hardstanding - our porch awning only needs around 12 pegs and each one (yes, each one) was difficult to put in, to say the least. I bought some 8 inch screw pegs earlier this year, but they refused to start, so back to the rock pegs - 3 types and lump hammer. I think I controlled the bad language, but ut was touch and go...

Perhaps I've got the concrete pitch as other awnings look fine!

I might try hammering in the screw pegs, or move to a grass pitch.

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
I got some last year and to be hoenst there a waste of time.

I've only got them to screw in on some reasonalbly soft ground and then they churned up the hole and barely held.

I've gone back to rock pegs and occassionaly use the screw pegs but knock them in.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
As I said above I too agree they are no good at screwing in. I always hammer them in and only the odd one has ever bent.

For me it was the ease of removal that mattered. Tugging out the rock pegs kills my back. I've tried all sorts of removers including the claw hammer.

Is there an easy removal tool out there?

Cheers

Dustydog

Jul 16, 2007
Visit site
I got talking to the chap next door and mentioned the problem I had with getting the awning up. He showed me his secret weapon - a chisel which tapered to a spike and a lump hammer - he drives this in which will go through anything, then uses the hole as a guide for his rock pegs. Off to look around Bury Market for a spike!

To extract, I've always tapped sidweays at the peg until there is a little movement, then it seems to come out quite easy - well, mucg easier than when it went in!

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
l have rock pegs use the rubber mallet never had problem of driving them in even at Bury, it's they way you hit em. To remove use the storm peg upside down with its hook under the peg seem to come out o/k.

NGH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As I said above I too agree they are no good at screwing in. I always hammer them in and only the odd one has ever bent.

For me it was the ease of removal that mattered. Tugging out the rock pegs kills my back. I've tried all sorts of removers including the claw hammer.

Is there an easy removal tool out there?

Cheers

Dustydog
Hi Dustydog

I bought a peg remover when we were caravning in Holland one year, Its about a foot long and is curved on the end it has bits that fit under the peg and then you just push on the handle and it lifts the peg. like you I have a bad back and this helps no end, If I knew how to put pictures on here I would photograph it so you could see it

Rick

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts