Sealing a hairline crack - back right corner of caravan

Apr 25, 2021
Visit site
Hi, I've trawled through a few posts about this but thought I best describe my own problem to make sure I choose the right product.

I've found some water coming through the very top right back corner of the caravan, in the wardrobe. I got on the ladder yesterday and found a small crack a couple of inches long, so believe I've found the culprit.

What's the best way to seal this up? I've seen mentions of soudall fixall but not sure if this is right for this particular job and how long it would last.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
You'll get lots of different opinions on this, but from the sounds of it your rear panel is thermo-formed ABS rather than GRP (fibreglass). ABS panels tend to crack and split all the way through (rather than cosmetic surface stress cracks with GRP). The splits can propagate (increase) in length unless checked. Clean the area thoroughly and find the ends of the cracks then drill a 2 to 3mm hole at each end, this will help to prevent the crack spreading. Personally I would use a vee-shaped needle file along the crack to open it into a slight vee-shape and abrade the area at each side of this (about a 10mm wide strip) with 240 grit paper. Run some masking tape alongside and then use a white polyurethane sealant (Tiger Seal or similar, available from motor factors) to fill in the crack, smooth it with a wet finger.

There are other ways such as plastic welding which can give a near invisible repair but having worked with thermo formed plastic products for 25 years, trying to do a rigid repair in an area that wants to "move" isn't easy. There are plastic "caps" available for some caravans that are bonded over the entire rear corner to provide strength and seal the damage.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Captain Tolleys is best for small hairline cracks. It needs a few applications but penetrates hairlines. Do you have a damp meter to help you assess the level and area of any damp. Once the source of water penetration is sorted it can take quite a while for damp levels to reduce back to normal. Damp meters aren’t expensive and are an essential piece of kit. Heres the one I bought.

You will need to watch out for more cracks as ABS panels are prone to cracking and other repair options may be necessary.

Last edited:
Reactions: GaryB
Apr 25, 2021
Visit site
Thanks for both answers, I am actually due to take the van in to an approved workshop tomorrow (more damp on the front bit window, found the front window seals need re-doing! :().

I might just leave this to the pro's as well, I was going to try and save a bit of cash if it was a fairly simple job, but sounds like it may need more than a quick bit of sealant to stop it getting worse.

I have a damp meter, it was reading around 30% in that corner inside, and I have seen the wall paper is a bit 'bobbly' in the top corner. I noticed we had a new issue as the towels were a bit damp that were stored in the wardrobe when I went to do my routine check.

Apr 25, 2021
Visit site
You'll get lots of different opinions on this, but from the sounds of it your rear panel is thermo-formed ABS rather than GRP (fibreglass). ABS panels tend to crack and split all the way through (rather than cosmetic surface stress cracks with GRP). The splits can propagate (increase) in length unless checked.
Thanks for the thorough explanation, I'm trying to learn more about caravans as I go! Our van is an sterling eccles sport 442 (2012). So 10+ years old now. We were thinking of upgrading to a newer caravan at the end of this year, but with all these little damp issues I think we'll hang on to it for a bit longer as I don't know how much money a dealer would knock off.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
Thanks for both answers, I am actually due to take the van in to an approved workshop tomorrow (more damp on the front bit window, found the front window seals need re-doing! :().

I might just leave this to the pro's as well, I was going to try and save a bit of cash if it was a fairly simple job, but sounds like it may need more than a quick bit of sealant to stop it getting worse.
That's a good idea, this problem has been around for years so most competent workshops will be able to advise the best approach from their own experiences.

Reactions: sarahc_
Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
Thanks for the thorough explanation, I'm trying to learn more about caravans as I go! Our van is an sterling eccles sport 442 (2012). So 10+ years old now. We were thinking of upgrading to a newer caravan at the end of this year, but with all these little damp issues I think we'll hang on to it for a bit longer as I don't know how much money a dealer would knock off.

There was an issue with some Swift Group caravans in 2012 due to the wrong sealant being used on the front windows during production so it could well be the same issue with your damp at the front.

Apr 25, 2021
Visit site
There was an issue with some Swift Group caravans in 2012 due to the wrong sealant being used on the front windows during production so it could well be the same issue with your damp at the front.

Ah interesting, may well be that then. Thanks again for the advice, I'm glad I asked now rather than attempt myself.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Keep your fingers crossed that the rear panel is only a single small crack, as my 2012 Swift had to have a new rear panel in 2017. It was carried out under warranty, but otherwise would have been a very expensive bill. As your caravan is now 11 years old it could be a good sign that it has only developed a single small crack in that time, and hopefully others may not appear.

Reactions: GaryB
Apr 25, 2021
Visit site
Keep your fingers crossed that the rear panel is only a single small crack, as my 2012 Swift had to have a new rear panel in 2017. It was carried out under warranty, but otherwise would have been a very expensive bill. As your caravan is now 11 years old it could be a good sign that it has only developed a single small crack in that time, and hopefully others may not appear.
Oh no... crossing fingers and toes then that this isn't the start of a nightmare! Thanks for the heads up, I'll speak to the workshop guys about it tomorrow.

Apr 25, 2021
Visit site

Attachments

• IMG_3118.jpeg
    IMG_3118.jpeg
    929.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3115.jpeg
    IMG_3115.jpeg
    898 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3119.jpeg
    IMG_3119.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 16
Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
Yes, definitely had caps on already but the sealant on the awning rail beneath them looks a bit ropey so maybe this is the suspect area?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
On the transverse joint that has tape on it, the tape normally is continuous across the width of the roof. About third of way across from your hand it looks as if someone has just applied sealant in a front to back direction. There’s also another odd section across the other side which appears discontinuous on the photo, but it might just be a photographic anomaly. Could you get better close ups.

Apr 25, 2021
Visit site
On the transverse joint that has tape on it, the tape normally is continuous across the width of the roof. About third of way across from your hand it looks as if someone has just applied sealant in a front to back direction. There’s also another odd section across the other side which appears discontinuous on the photo, but it might just be a photographic anomaly. Could you get better close ups.

Yeah the photo isn’t great, the tape does continue fully to the other side but there is a ‘break’ in it, so I’m going to speak to the repair guys tomorrow about that as well. Looks like there’s been a lot of patch up works done already (a little since we’ve owned the van) but not the awning rail part.
That’s very old sealant by the looks of it, is the best idea to ask them to remove existing sealant and re do it all properly?

@GaryB i think that dodgy sealant is the exact area it’s leaking.

I also think I’ve spotted what could be the issue for the front damp. The sealant looks very old on the screw panel which is holding the front locker door on the hinge. Wouldn’t be surprised if that’s been letting water in for a while and it’s been getting into the front wood shelf which is directly where that is on the inside. The window seals in that area look fine.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The front window seals come supplied with a sealant. Trying to reseal the oem sealant is not usually successful in the long run. The new rubbers with built in sealant imo is the way to go. Also watch the window top rail, another water ingress favourite

Reactions: sarahc_
Apr 25, 2021
Visit site
The front window seals come supplied with a sealant. Trying to reseal the oem sealant is not usually successful in the long run. The new rubbers with built in sealant imo is the way to go. Also watch the window top rail, another water ingress favourite
thanks I will keep this in mind when I speak to them also.

TRENDING THREADS