Seasonal Awning Query

Feb 21, 2023
Visit site
Hey all,

I'm after an experienced view. I'm looking for a seasonal awning, what would you recommend, air awning or poled? I'd be looking to use it a minimum of April-September but ideally the whole season.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
For a seasonal pitch there is really only one option, and that's a poled awning, and one of quality. Isabella are recognised as the very best, and their price reflects that.

Air awnings can slowly deflate over time. No problem short term, but if you are away for say a week it could be a serious issue. Plus they are seldom made of material that will withstand long term exposure to sunlight. Air awnings are designed for touring use rather than long term use.

Reactions: Challenger
Feb 21, 2023
Visit site
For a seasonal pitch there is really only one option, and that's a poled awning, and one of quality. Isabella are recognised as the very best, and their price reflects that.

Air awnings can slowly deflate over time. No problem short term, but if you are away for say a week it could be a serious issue. Plus they are seldom made of material that will withstand long term exposure to sunlight. Air awnings are designed for touring use rather than long term use.

Thanks for the help 👍

Would you recommend a full or porch style awning, or is it personal preference?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the help 👍

Would you recommend a full or porch style awning, or is it personal preference?
I would go for a large porch, sometimes referred to as midi. A 350 size would comfortably meet the needs of four people and you wouldn’t have to sell it if you change caravan. I’ve had Isabella Magnum which is top quality, and a Dorema which was significantly cheaper but did the job.I’ve also had full awnings but with hindsight I wouldn’t have gone back from a large porch to a full size. But it’s a personal choice.

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
The problem re size is that a "porch" awning covers a large range of sizes. Some are onky basically a small "airlock" over the door whilst others are not far short of a full sized awning (which can seem vast). If its of any help there are two of us and we have a 390 porch awning (that's 3.9 metres) which extends outwards 3.25m (it is an air awning so not realy suitable for what you want. It's this one but it gives you an idea of how big it is when attached to a caravan (that caravan is 7.3m long)

That gives us plenty of room for a table and a couple of directors chairs to eat at and a couple of Lafuma type recliners, along with a bit if storage space.
If you are planning on being resident for an extended period, rather than visiting at weekends/the odd full week then I would suggest that a full sized awning would be more suitable.
Best bet is to find somewhere where there is a wide range of awnings erected. That way you can get a "feel" for the various sizes and see what would suit you.
One last comment " You don't get what yiu don't pay for!"

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Have a look at Walker Awnings for a good quality seasonal. We had one, very pleased with it.
mel
I had a Walker poled awning that was custom made to fit a pop top caravan. It was excellent quality and fitted like the proverbial glove. 5F0FE659-CB69-41BC-B5B6-F03DDCF878B1.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Mel
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I would go for a large porch, sometimes referred to as midi. A 350 size would comfortably meet the needs of four people and you wouldn’t have to sell it if you change caravan. I’ve had Isabella Magnum which is top quality, and a Dorema which was significantly cheaper but did the job.I’ve also had full awnings but with hindsight I wouldn’t have gone back from a large porch to a full size. But it’s a personal choice.

I agree re. Dorema. we had their all weather porch, only available with steel poles. An extra pole kit could be added for more strength.

Heavier than normal awnings, but necessary for the weather.

This was years ago. I don't know what their current offerings are.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site

I agree re. Dorema. we had their all weather porch, only available with steel poles. An extra pole kit could be added for more strength.

Heavier than normal awnings, but necessary for the weather.

This was years ago. I don't know what their current offerings are.

1677014578987.jpeg

1677014622393.jpeg

John

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
When we were seasonal some friends of ours brought a
Kampa Rally 390 (All Season) for me it look great and very reasonable price

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I agree with Mr Plodd that a poled awning is probably best for seasonal use and bearing in mind it will probably get some bad weather and needs to last one of the good, but unfortunately dearer, ones is best as cheap ones may not survive.
The size you need depends on what you need to use it for but as it will be left up without the hassle of putting up and down a large one seems appropriate. A full awning will give the maximum space but if you change the caravan is unlikely to fit the next one where a large porch one probably will. That apart it is just down to personal preference, including even the colour.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Have a look at Camptech Savanna DL Seasonal Traditional full caravan awning and free straps (2023 )
With a variety sizes available
Frame Steel or Carbon Fibre
Very good value

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I have to assume price is not an issue but reliability and strength is. A full sized Isabella with Carbon fibre poles and the Isabella internal storm straps. Use decent metal pegs , eg screw pegs. Otherwise everything Mr Plodd said

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts