Second Lockdown πŸ˜₯πŸ˜₯πŸ˜₯πŸ˜₯πŸ˜₯πŸ˜₯πŸ˜₯

Page 28 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
My SIL's mother had a fall during the cold snap last week resulting in a broken wrist. . At her follow up consultation to day, she had to have it reset. She also had a lateral flow test which has come back positive. :( :(

Apparently the LFT is a general test for infections and not specific for C19, but a positive result is usually followed by full C19 test.
We're just crossing everything for her.

Hope a good recovery will be made.

Would not try to minimise or deny this horrible virus for a second. It is clear to me that it is every bit as bad as we are told and advice has to be followed. But there are anomalies reported all the time therefore no clear certainty on anything. They say children are relatively safe. But a 1 month old has had it and recovered. His father suffered badly but the mother has remained symptom free. At the other end of the scale, today, a lady has had her 106th birthday. She has had it twice and recovered.

Given that there is such a variance in all aspects tells me that being cautious is even more important.

I did not know that the infection test were general. In my experience they are not that reliable. In 2019 I developed sepsis after a couple of mistakes in A&E. the first responders tested me at home as high. The Ambulance arrived at 3am after 5 hours despite me being red flagged. I was tested again on the ambulance and told I had little infection, and they thought I would be sent home. I waited in the corridor for 7 hours to be tested again. That’s when I was put on a ward for 5 days.

1. It makes me wonder why the ambulance reading was wrong, or different.

2. Considering the time I had to wait for the ambulance and to be treated in A&E on a moderate midweek night. And the job they had finding a bed. God knows how they are managing now.

3. Thank god for the first responders. I have no doubt they saved my life.

4. It seems sepsis can be bacterial or viral. So I imagine the test might be for both.

John

Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hope a good recovery will be made.

Would not try to minimise or deny this horrible virus for a second. It is clear to me that it is every bit as bad as we are told and advice has to be followed. But there are anomalies reported all the time therefore no clear certainty on anything. They say children are relatively safe. But a 1 month old has had it and recovered. His father suffered badly but the mother has remained symptom free. At the other end of the scale, today, a lady has had her 106th birthday. She has had it twice and recovered.

Given that there is such a variance in all aspects tells me that being cautious is even more important.

I did not know that the infection test were general. In my experience they are not that reliable. In 2019 I developed sepsis after a couple of mistakes in A&E. the first responders tested me at home as high. The Ambulance arrived at 3am after 5 hours despite me being red flagged. I was tested again on the ambulance and told I had little infection, and they thought I would be sent home. I waited in the corridor for 7 hours to be tested again. That’s when I was put on a ward for 5 days.

1. It makes me wonder why the ambulance reading was wrong, or different.

2. Considering the time I had to wait for the ambulance and to be treated in A&E on a moderate midweek night. And the job they had finding a bed. God knows how they are managing now.

3. Thank god for the first responders. I have no doubt they saved my life.

4. It seems sepsis can be bacterial or viral. So I imagine the test might be for both.

John

There are mixed messages regarding LFT accuracy but over the term of this pandemic manufacturers have been working hard to improve the accuracy and sensitivity to viral load. Here’s the HMG web link giving the latest as regards Covid testing accuracy of LFT.

Probably since your episode improvements have been achieved, but the link only relates to Covid not other viral or bacterial infections. Difference between first responder and ambulance reading? Different LFT manufacturer, or skill of operative? Nasal mucal load variation?

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/...onfirm-high-sensitivity-of-lateral-flow-tests

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
My SIL's mother had a fall during the cold snap last week resulting in a broken wrist. . At her follow up consultation to day, she had to have it reset. She also had a lateral flow test which has come back positive. :( :(

Apparently the LFT is a general test for infections and not specific for C19, but a positive result is usually followed by full C19 test.
We're just crossing everything for her.
Bad for her and even harder for the family to comfort her. Wishing her a safe and speedy recovery Prof

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Bad for her and even harder for the family to comfort her. Wishing her a safe and speedy recovery Prof

First of all thank you for all the thoughtful messages. :):)

I realise I may not have made the relationship clear. The lady who had the fall was my Son In Laws mother, apparently my daughter had to take her to the hospital.

An update.

It seems the result is positive for C19. but in addition my daughter and her family have also tested positive. 😯😯

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

I realise I may not have made the relationship clear. The lady who had the fall was my Son In Laws mother, apparently my daughter had to take her to the hospital.

An update.

It seems the result is positive for C19. but in addition my daughter and her family have also tested positive. 😯😯
Let’s hope they all make a good recovery.

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
One thing that 'concerns' me is that I (because of health problems) I have already had the 'jab'. -- is that 'the better half' (who is as fit as a fiddle!) has not. Since the jab I have had 'cold like' symptons, (coincidence?) , does this make the wife more at risk? And perhaps the same household occupants should be treated together?

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
There are mixed messages regarding LFT accuracy but over the term of this pandemic manufacturers have been working hard to improve the accuracy and sensitivity to viral load. Here’s the HMG web link giving the latest as regards Covid testing accuracy of LFT.

Probably since your episode improvements have been achieved, but the link only relates to Covid not other viral or bacterial infections. Difference between first responder and ambulance reading? Different LFT manufacturer, or skill of operative? Nasal mucal load variation?

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/...onfirm-high-sensitivity-of-lateral-flow-tests

I am not suggesting that the different authorities are not trying to be accurate. Just that that must be extremely difficult given the extremes of how covid affects people. extrapolating data from small groups can easily be skewed. In some instances the groups have to be comparatively small. But as time goes by, results will improve with growing numbers.

I have no idea if things have improved since my episode. All the things you say about the variation in tests are no doubt true. But in my case the worry was more that note was taken of only the final β€˜field’ test done in the ambulance. And that took precedence over the lab tests done by the first responders. Something that delayed treatment.

But as to what the Prof said about the LFT being a general test. I don’t know if that is related to the tests I had. But, I do know the ones I had were inconclusive. The first responder did a field quick test which said I had a very high infection. She then took another sample to a lab to have it fast tracked. This confirmed.

A few months later, I went to hospital for an op. (Won’t give details but related to the same problem). Ward quick test said I had an infection so op cancelled. The surgeon prescribed antibiotics. But said he was making an educated guess, and that he would phone me if he was wrong when the lab tests get back.

All this is pre covid. But may be related if the initial tests are general and not specific to covid. But Grant Shapps said this morning that different countries have different tests which can cause issues on acceptability when travelling.

Up until the Prof said tests are general, I thought they were covid specific.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
One thing that 'concerns' me is that I (because of health problems) I have already had the 'jab'. -- is that 'the better half' (who is as fit as a fiddle!) has not. Since the jab I have had 'cold like' symptons, (coincidence?) , does this make the wife more at risk? And perhaps the same household occupants should be treated together?
[/QUOTE

Your wife’s risk should be the same or even lower assuming that you stick to the guidelines. It’s just a side effect coincidence that you have cold like symptoms. Our daughter had her jab last Saturday evening but yesterday she said she felt a bit under the weather. Most likely the bodies response system has gone up a gear.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I am not suggesting that the different authorities are not trying to be accurate. Just that that must be extremely difficult given the extremes of how covid affects people. extrapolating data from small groups can easily be skewed. In some instances the groups have to be comparatively small. But as time goes by, results will improve with growing numbers.

I have no idea if things have improved since my episode. All the things you say about the variation in tests are no doubt true. But in my case the worry was more that note was taken of only the final β€˜field’ test done in the ambulance. And that took precedence over the lab tests done by the first responders. Something that delayed treatment.

But as to what the Prof said about the LFT being a general test. I don’t know if that is related to the tests I had. But, I do know the ones I had were inconclusive. The first responder did a field quick test which said I had a very high infection. She then took another sample to a lab to have it fast tracked. This confirmed.

A few months later, I went to hospital for an op. (Won’t give details but related to the same problem). Ward quick test said I had an infection so op cancelled. The surgeon prescribed antibiotics. But said he was making an educated guess, and that he would phone me if he was wrong when the lab tests get back.

All this is pre covid. But may be related if the initial tests are general and not specific to covid. But Grant Shapps said this morning that different countries have different tests which can cause issues on acceptability when travelling.

Up until the Prof said tests are general, I thought they were covid specific.

John

A quick test prior to a surgical procedure is most likely looking for MRSA. Remember that when it was the bete noire along with Staph. Long time ago or so it seems.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site

An update.

Let hope they all make a speedy recovery

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
A quick test prior to a surgical procedure is most likely looking for MRSA. Remember that when it was the bete noire along with Staph. Long time ago or so it seems.

This was a urine test. The MRSA done over my 3 ops in recent years, were all done with groin swabs a few days prior to the op.

(sounding a bit like I am never out of hospital, for my first 69 years I only had 1 op)!

Different hospitals may have different procedures.

John

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
My C19 test with Imperial College London was defo a pucker test.
Grand daughter fell ill over Xmas . She tested Postive as did her Yorkshire Grandma. GD ill but fully recovered, Grandma had no symptoms at all.

It seems not everyone who tests positive actually suffers a bad spell. BUT without doubt I am sure they remain contaminated and likely to pass it on.
Letβ€˜s hope the Prof’s family recover and at least one of them isn’t too bad . If you are all ill how do you manage? Hospital?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
A lady visiting her family in Brazil was due to fly back in 5 February but as things currently stand she may not. She can stay with the family though. Her comment when interviewed was

β€œI miss my partner and not knowing when I will be able to see him again is terrifying.”

If she was so concerned about Covid in Brazil she should have stayed home in UK as flight restrictions were always a possibility.

Good job my father didn’t take that attitude when shipped out to India in 1942 for four years, after only marrying two weeks previously.

Reactions: JezzerB

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Wishing all those who are suffering a complete and speedy recovery.
Herself broke her ankle just before Christmas, so she's relatively immobile for now, which could be a blessing in disguise under the present circumstances.
My daughter in law is a nurse.
She took a routine weekly C19 test on Monday and was clear.
She felt under the weather yesterday so she took another test which has come back positive.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Herself broke her ankle just before Christmas, so she's relatively immobile for now, which could be a blessing in disguise under the present circumstances.
She felt under the weather yesterday so she took another test which has come back positive.
Hope that your daughter in law makes a good recovery. That’s an ever present risk in her profession and I can only applaud their selfless actions. 🀞🀞🀞

Reactions: JezzerB and Parksy
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi Parksy i hope your daughter in law makes a speedy recovery

Reactions: Parksy
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
A lady visiting her family in Brazil was due to fly back in 5 February but as things currently stand she may not. She can stay with the family though. Her comment when interviewed was

β€œI miss my partner and not knowing when I will be able to see him again is terrifying.”

If she was so concerned about Covid in Brazil she should have stayed home in UK as flight restrictions were always a possibility.

Good job my father didn’t take that attitude when shipped out to India in 1942 for four years, after only marrying two weeks previously.
If she’s not back by 04.00 hrs next Monday she’s staying Brazilian.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If she’s not back by 04.00 hrs next Monday she’s staying Brazilian.

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

The restrictions on flights from South America and Portugal came in during the early hours of today. Hence her disquiet. But if she has British nationality or residence rights she could still return subject to quarantine post arrival. The latest announcement today may require a negative test prior to departure plus quarantine. Hardly terrifying.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Not a good time Steve . Best wishes for Carole’s swift recovery and your dil not getting worse. My son’s MiL at Christmas tested positive but had no symptoms. Weird.

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site

None of the vaccines use live or dead virus, they use proteins that are part of the virus, so there is NO risk to your wife. Your symptoms are those that may be expected...

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Oh dear a worrying sign. I hope she recovers quickly and wish her all the best under the circumstances.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts