Security on caravans ? Is that an oxymoron?!

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Having just read (and re-read) Pamela's account of how she and her family were violated by thieves whilst asleep (made unconscious?), had my wife and I talking at length on this Saturday morning.

We feel that the gas MUST have been introduced by the waste water pipes. After all, these provide easy access to the plug holes in the main living area, and bathroom. Simply open the external flaps, insert pipe, turn on gas; retire for what, 15 minutes (?) and return; in the sure knowledge that enough noxious fumes will have been introduced to the air within the caravan living space.

Question : how to fit a security lock to prevent easy access to the waste pipes?

We then discussed the 'lock' on the caravan door. I am not a lock-smith but I would guess that these keys and locks are laughable and present little more than a minor hassle to what is, in effect, an open caravan?

Question : what additional locks / bolts could we fit to ensure that, whilst asleep at least, no one could open the door from the outside?

Why aren't these incidents being passed to the British and French media? Posting on PC forum is fine but the French authorities need to take this seriously; and the way they'll feel pressure is if they are being pressured by the media.

Finally; why do we continue to stop on motorway service stations for the night? The dangers appear to have been well aired and for some time. We need to recognise that we become real targets when we travel on the main autoroutes to the south of France / Spain.

So security? What can we all do?

John and Jo

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
I've read Pamela's posting as well, quite disturbing isn't it?

I used to be sceptical about the idea of gas being introduced into a van, I couldn't think how it could be done and how the theives knew how much to use. Over the past few months I have changed my views on this. For a start the theives probably don't know or even care about the amount of gas they put into a van, I think it is only a matter of time before a fatality occurs, perhaps someone with an existing heart or breathing problem.

Secondly I used to wonder about how the gas could be introduced into a locked van with closed windows. I had never thought about your idea of the waste pipes, perhaps the easiest way of preventing that would be to put sink drain plug in place. My thought would be the caravan door. The lock holds the door secure only at the centre of the door, top and bottom corner of the doors have enough give in them that they could be easily prised open wide enough for a narrow piece of tube to be pushed in and gas discharged.I have had a look at my own van door and from inside you can see daylight through bottom corner of door without putting any pressure on the door. The amount of gas introduced does not need to be enough to render someoe unconscious, only to induce a deeper sleep on someone already asleep.

I'm sure this practice will spread into this country as well.

I don't mean to seem alarmist, it has all got to be kept in perpective. I have been caravanning for 25 years without any problems whilst on holiday but have had my home broken into and car stolen from driveway. Taking reasonable precautions whether on holiday or at home is the sensible way, lets not let some low life spoil our enjoyment.

Robert

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts