Security

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Hi all, I’m thinking I want/should buy a wheel lock, I’ve thought about getting the alko wheel lock which from what I’ve read seems to be really secure and my insurance will give me a 15% discount if I have one, the down sides are seems to be really expensive and a pain in the rear to put it on when required, what alternatives are there that insurance will accept and give a discount that are easier to fit, provide some security and hopefully a bit cheaper than the alko, looking for plenty of advice.

BP

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I’d go for the Milenco Wraith or Nemisis as they are less of a faff to install and can be used on site at home or in storage. Not as secure as Alko and no discount I think. When. My insurer offered discount for Alko the T&C made it impracticable. They would only allow 48 hours for it not to be fitted and then I would have to ring them to discuss. Dream on. I’m not that desperate to save 15%. So the Alko goes on at home or in store and a Milenco lighterweight touring one when on site.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi all, I’m thinking I want/should buy a wheel lock, I’ve thought about getting the alko wheel lock which from what I’ve read seems to be really secure and my insurance will give me a 15% discount if I have one, the down sides are seems to be really expensive and a pain in the rear to put it on when required, what alternatives are there that insurance will accept and give a discount that are easier to fit, provide some security and hopefully a bit cheaper than the alko, looking for plenty of advice.

BP
Only your insurance company will tell you what they will accept. Each company has their own policy on such things so there is a danger taking advice from anywhere else may not be acceptable to your insurer.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
It's more complicated fitting two on a twin axle than one on a single axle - fitting one on a twin axle doesn't generally comply with insurance.
Yes the Alko can be a faff to fit, But once your used to it no real problem, on site i don't bother and just fit another type. With hitch lock and an awning fitted i am hoping theifs will not hit my van, they will take the Cadac and chairs and tables first I hope.

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I use a Full Stop Excalibur axle lock in lieu of the Alko one, as it's easier to line up

And on the other side, a Milenco Wraith (who have excellent customer service btw)

Bulldog also did a lock that fit into the Alko receiver, not made any more (licensing issues) but you can find them for sale in the usual places.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hutch
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Yes they are a faf and can scratch alloys if dirty but they must be v difficult to remove! The receiver has to be hang in line with the appropriate wheel slot between spokes.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Yes they are a faff and can scratch alloys if dirty but they must be v difficult to remove! The receiver has to be hang in line with the appropriate wheel slot between spokes.
A millimetre or two can be the difference between it fitting or not fitting. And woe betide the owner who uses the wrench to” force” the bolt in when fitting. After moving the van up a ramp to level it off side to side the last thing I’m going to do is faff around with the Alko. Rather get the kettle on.

Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
I use the Milenco Compact Wheel Clamp, and also the Winterhoff Robstop hitch lock (which I think is only compatible with Winterhoff stabiliser hitches).

Wheel lock

Hitch lock

I bought the hitch lock when I got the caravan, so about 12 years ago - the wheel lock was added about 5 years ago, when its predecessor (which had been my Dad's before mine, so was about 20 years old) was finally too tatty for me to trust.

The hitch lock is a bit of a faff to fit, the two parts have to be perfectly lined up before the lock will engage: The wheel lock is no trouble at all and goes on without a problem.

I'm pretty sure the wheel lock is accepted for a discount by Caravan and Motorhome Club Insurance because I think that's why I chose that one, but as the Prof has said, check your own insurer to be certain. The hitch lock I didn't have much choice over, it's the one that's compatible with the hitch and I got a good deal on it because I bought it at the same time as the hitch and the caravan!

I also bought a lock for the corner steady wind down (can't remember which make), but gave up on it fairly quickly as although the lock itself was robust, it relied on a pretty flimsy allen bolt to hold it to the wind-down.

Hope this helps - the only thing to add is a reminder that if someone really is determined to steal your caravan, they're going to steal it - all you can really do with security is make your caravan a harder / less attractive proposition than someone else's. I'm on a CASSOA Silver storage site where there are much nicer caravans than mine, and with the two security devices I've described I'm pretty sure I've done all I reasonably can.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I use the Milenco Compact Wheel Clamp, and also the Winterhoff Robstop hitch lock (which I think is only compatible with Winterhoff stabiliser hitches).

Wheel lock

Hitch lock

I bought the hitch lock when I got the caravan, so about 12 years ago - the wheel lock was added about 5 years ago, when its predecessor (which had been my Dad's before mine, so was about 20 years old) was finally too tatty for me to trust.

The hitch lock is a bit of a faff to fit, the two parts have to be perfectly lined up before the lock will engage: The wheel lock is no trouble at all and goes on without a problem.

I'm pretty sure the wheel lock is accepted for a discount by Caravan and Motorhome Club Insurance because I think that's why I chose that one, but as the Prof has said, check your own insurer to be certain. The hitch lock I didn't have much choice over, it's the one that's compatible with the hitch and I got a good deal on it because I bought it at the same time as the hitch and the caravan!

I also bought a lock for the corner steady wind down (can't remember which make), but gave up on it fairly quickly as although the lock itself was robust, it relied on a pretty flimsy allen bolt to hold it to the wind-down.

Hope this helps - the only thing to add is a reminder that if someone really is determined to steal your caravan, they're going to steal it - all you can really do with security is make your caravan a harder / less attractive proposition than someone else's. I'm on a CASSOA Silver storage site where there are much nicer caravans than mine, and with the two security devices I've described I'm pretty sure I've done all I reasonably can.
I use that hitchlock when on site. I doubt very much if it qualifies for any CMHC discount. But as advised the OP has to check with their own insurance policy or quotations.

Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
I use that hitchlock when on site. I doubt very much if it qualifies for any CMHC discount. But as advised the OP has to check with their own insurance policy or quotations.
Sorry Clive, I only meant that I thought the Milenco wheel lock was CMHC approved...like you I don't think the Robstop would be.

Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
Oops I too meant the wheel clamp. Years are catching up. Sorry. 👍

Oops, in that case I'd better check my policy wording...I can't see me having spent 70 quid on a wheel lock if it wasn't insurance approved but I may have done. Either way, I'm confident that I won't have declared something I haven't got, so I'm not getting any discount I'm not entitled to!

Reactions: otherclive
May 7, 2012
Visit site
We use the Nemisis Ultra which is the one that clamps onto the wheel using a replacement bolt and get a discount on the insurance for this. This is light and easy to attach if that is what you need.
I also have the standard Nemisis which is a wheel clamp that fits in the conventional way. This is however big and heavy and might be too much for some.

Reactions: otherclive
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Is the alko as hard to fit as it gets mentioned on here?
I think the situation is easier for single axle 'vans. You have to make sure the wheel is in the right position, having a motor mover makes this easier. However, for some reason, EVERY time I arrive home and have the caravan positioned exactly where I want it, the gap in the wheel is the one with the tyre valve, so can't be used. I also used to have a problem on site when I was using a levelling ramp; I could never get the caravan level AND the wheel in the correct position to accept the wheel lock. I now use a Milenco Caravan Leveller which makes the process much easier.

Oct 12, 2016
Visit site
Yes they are a faf and can scratch alloys if dirty but they must be v difficult to remove! The receiver has to be hang in line with the appropriate wheel slot between spokes.
Unfortunately they are fairly easy to remove in a few seconds with either a disc cutter or gas axe. The sort of people who steal Caravans aren’t really too bothered about damaging an alloy wheel.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Yes but they are the only diamond standard lock as far as am aware and I reckon with both wheels locked like this a hitch lock (and a blocking ball in there)and cheap locks on the other side even the best equipped scroat would hopefully look at our neighbouring vans in storage or simply move on to easier pickings. Alarm and tracker fitted too.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Basically all wheel locks provide some level of security against the less professional thieves but the professionals are a far more difficult proposition and in some circumstances there is really very little that will stop them. At the end of the day though if they are looking at yours and another they will go for the less secure one as it is easier and quicker to deal with.
The Alko is one of the best, but it can be defeated by those equipped with cutting gear. On a single axle caravan it should be easier to fit than most suggest as you have two sides to line it up, so if one is out the other may work.
Possibly the best defence is not locks but removing the upholstery and leaving the blinds up to show this. Very few thieves are going to bother with a caravan where they then need to replace the upholstery as they might as well take something else which is all there.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Basically all wheel locks provide some level of security against the less professional thieves but the professionals are a far more difficult proposition and in some circumstances there is really very little that will stop them. At the end of the day though if they are looking at yours and another they will go for the less secure one as it is easier and quicker to deal with.
The Alko is one of the best, but it can be defeated by those equipped with cutting gear. On a single axle caravan it should be easier to fit than most suggest as you have two sides to line it up, so if one is out the other may work.
Possibly the best defence is not locks but removing the upholstery and leaving the blinds up to show this. Very few thieves are going to bother with a caravan where they then need to replace the upholstery as they might as well take something else which is all there.

I had never thought to see if there was a receiver on off side. Nice one Ray, 👍

Reactions: JezzerB
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
One of the reasons why a proactive Tracker is best as the moment the low lives interfere with the caravan the Tracker call centre are notified.

Reactions: JezzerB

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts