Sequia Park

Jul 11, 2005
Visit site
We are booked to go in early August to this site.

We sail on L D Lines from Portsmouth to Le Harve over night.

Can any one tell me about this site and whats arround and about. Can anyone tell me how far the journey is and how long it should take.

We also will probably want a site to stay over on the way back aprox 2/3s of the way.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Ian

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Do you mean Sequoia Park? Mappy.com (route planning for France) suggests that it's around 588 kilometres from Le Havre to Marennes, and should take around 6 hours (but don't forget that's maximum speed all the way, and with no comfort stops).

Are you towing, tenting, or do you want a hotel stop overnight on your return?

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
Make sure you take plenty of ant killer,walking shoes and dustbin bags.

The site has a problem with ants,if you have a problem they come and spray with god knows what ,very nice.

Walking shoes because there are only three taps and only one of these are amongst the tourers,I was told to use the fire hose,very healthy.

Dustbin bags because you have to take your rubbish off site so will need bags,maybe this is why they have an ant problem.

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
We called at Sequoia Park at Whitsun - 2 years ago. It was only half full at the time and the pool area was very busy. I think the first two weeks in August will be extremely busy but no doubt you considered that before booking. The pitches are of a lovely size (140 sq m. I suggest that you look for pitches past the pool complex and try to find one by a water point!

As for the journey from Le Harve I think a convenient stop for overnight would be at Nantes. There is a site just off the ring road (Belle Riviere) which is now in the Caravan & Camping book suggested as an overnight stop. it is also convenient for stocking up with fuel and shopping at the locan Intermarche - 5 mins away if you get there in time. You can then continue afresh the following day with not too long to Sequoia Park. There are differing directions to this site but basically there is an entrance immediately off the main road to Marennes. Some other directions take you around St Just but don't bother stressing yourself with that. You cannot miss it off the main road. We were only there for 4 nights and enjoyed the pool complex. Did not do too much site seeing but did have a drive around Ile D'Oleron. You are only a short distance from Royan which may be worth a day out.

Jul 11, 2005
Visit site
Val, We are towing, so I guess it will take a bit longer than 6 hiours. We will probably need a site to pitch in although we have stayed in a hotel once before.

I guess that its not your favorite site then Plotter.

When did you go?

Lesley, yes we are aware that it will busy, we have been to another Castilles site a couple of years ago and that was really busy.

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
As you know it is not just because it is a popular Castels site - most sites will be bust the first two weeks in August. Just do as the Germans do and get your towels on the poolside beds early morning.

That being said - what do you think of the suggestion for the site at Nantes or would you prefer something this side of Nantes? There is a site just before Rennes Ring Road (Haliotis) at Pontorson but in view of the fact that you are getting the night boat you have a good head start and should get to Nantes within 5 hours of travelling plus stops depending upon your route.

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
As you know it is not just because it is a popular Castels site - most sites will be bust the first two weeks in August. Just do as the Germans do and get your towels on the poolside beds early morning.

That being said - what do you think of the suggestion for the site at Nantes or would you prefer something this side of Nantes? There is a site just before Rennes Ring Road (Haliotis) at Pontorson but in view of the fact that you are getting the night boat you have a good head start and should get to Nantes within 5 hours of travelling plus stops depending upon your route.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ian,

we're going late July/early August, also crossing the pond by LD Lines. This will be our 3rd year running, so we obviously have different tastes to The Plotter. There aren't many taps but there are more than 3! The bin area is at the far end of the park with the bottle banks, most people get on their bikes with their rubbish. At least you don't get tractor & trailers buzzing around the site all day.

We've had small problems with ants, but ensure you spray Raid on your caravan legs regularly. It's no worse than any other site.

The kids really love the entertainment & pool area. They're happy, we're happy!

We disembarked at Le Harvre at 8am and after having several stops enroute, we arrived at Sequoia at around 4pm....but last year we got stuck going through Tours on a Saturday (Avoid travelling on Saturdays!) and the year before, we had a very near miss with a lorry who entered the motorway on its side and from above.... landing inbetween us & our friends closely behind!

This year, we are travelling down on a Friday so we should make better time (I'll regret saying that).

There are beaches in abundance in the area, but you've got to leave the site before 10am to miss the traffic getting on the island. Also nearby, is the zoo at La Palmyre, if you like zoos that is & Ile d'Oleron. Royan & La Rochelle aren't too far away either.

We return to Blighty via the tunnel & stop off in Le Mans over night at a quiet site called Camping Le Pont Romain. It's only been open a year and it's about 10 minutes off the A28. It took us 5 hours (incl stops) to get there last year.

Hope you enjoy your stay.

Roll on July 25th!

Mark W

Jul 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ian,

we're going late July/early August, also crossing the pond by LD Lines. This will be our 3rd year running, so we obviously have different tastes to The Plotter. There aren't many taps but there are more than 3! The bin area is at the far end of the park with the bottle banks, most people get on their bikes with their rubbish. At least you don't get tractor & trailers buzzing around the site all day.

We've had small problems with ants, but ensure you spray Raid on your caravan legs regularly. It's no worse than any other site.

The kids really love the entertainment & pool area. They're happy, we're happy!

We disembarked at Le Harvre at 8am and after having several stops enroute, we arrived at Sequoia at around 4pm....but last year we got stuck going through Tours on a Saturday (Avoid travelling on Saturdays!) and the year before, we had a very near miss with a lorry who entered the motorway on its side and from above.... landing inbetween us & our friends closely behind!

This year, we are travelling down on a Friday so we should make better time (I'll regret saying that).

There are beaches in abundance in the area, but you've got to leave the site before 10am to miss the traffic getting on the island. Also nearby, is the zoo at La Palmyre, if you like zoos that is & Ile d'Oleron. Royan & La Rochelle aren't too far away either.

We return to Blighty via the tunnel & stop off in Le Mans over night at a quiet site called Camping Le Pont Romain. It's only been open a year and it's about 10 minutes off the A28. It took us 5 hours (incl stops) to get there last year.

Hope you enjoy your stay.

Roll on July 25th!

Mark W
Thanks Mark, I was starting to worry about our decision. Unfortunatly we are travelling down on a Saturday!!

We will arrive while you are there, I think we travell on Friday night 1st August.

We have, some years ago, been to the area and went to the Zoo which as you say is very good. We spent quite a lot of time on the Cote Savage beech.

I cant wait.

Cheers Ian

Jan 7, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

We stayed there last year for 15 nights in august, and we did have a good holiday, although the park was not as good as we hoped. Our pitch was of a very good size, and we had water and drainage to hook up to which was great, our pitch was surrounded with a tall hedge making it very private, infact you didnt hardly see any one.

The take away was good, but the entertainment was not so good, it was only on monday-friday, and was canceled on more than one occassion due to bad weather.

The pool area is very nice and inviting, unless you want to a sunbed to sit on, we even struggled to get a space big enough for our towells on the paving slabs, and i hope you like the water cold, because it was freezing in the main pool.

Oh and when the entertainment does go ahead, make sure you wear comfy footwear as the chances of getting a seat are even less likely than getting a bed by the pool.

Overall we did enjoy our stay here, but we wont be going back in a hurry.

This year we are heading further south to Biscarosse. (excuse spelling).

Have a good one,

Darren.

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

We stayed there last year for 15 nights in august, and we did have a good holiday, although the park was not as good as we hoped. Our pitch was of a very good size, and we had water and drainage to hook up to which was great, our pitch was surrounded with a tall hedge making it very private, infact you didnt hardly see any one.

The take away was good, but the entertainment was not so good, it was only on monday-friday, and was canceled on more than one occassion due to bad weather.

The pool area is very nice and inviting, unless you want to a sunbed to sit on, we even struggled to get a space big enough for our towells on the paving slabs, and i hope you like the water cold, because it was freezing in the main pool.

Oh and when the entertainment does go ahead, make sure you wear comfy footwear as the chances of getting a seat are even less likely than getting a bed by the pool.

Overall we did enjoy our stay here, but we wont be going back in a hurry.

This year we are heading further south to Biscarosse. (excuse spelling).

Have a good one,

Darren.
We're thinking of trying Domaine de la Rive next Whitsun at Biscarrosse - which site are you trying?

Jan 7, 2007
Visit site
We're thinking of trying Domaine de la Rive next Whitsun at Biscarrosse - which site are you trying?
Hi Lesley,

We are going to La Rive. Drove down there for a day trip last year whilst on holiday and liked it, so we decided to try it this summer. Looks pretty good, and i do a spot of windsurfing which should be good on the lake.

Darren

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
We stayed there last year for the last 2 weeks in August.Its a nice and tidy site and the shower blocks are spotless,watch out for the low flying swallows!

Weather wasnt great and the piches lack grass so it was a bit damp ,but they are a good size,all around this side of France you will have ants,pine forests and sand.

Pool is great very clean but you have to que to get in an get a sunbed 1/2 hr before the pool opens,otherwise no chance.

Suffered from some theft so take everything in at night,no problem getting water there seemed lots of taps.

It is a very busy area so expect traffic jams wherever you go especially when it rains as everyone goes out for the day.

Would i go back again?

The weather is too much like an English summer.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts