service

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
hi all, just need advice on how often should i have the van service.i have checked all appliances are working fine.forgot to say its had a service march 2010 all ok.just checked tyres on the paper work they are 5 years old but the tread and side walls are ok so when should i replace them.last thing is brakes should i have them checked every year or two.thanks terry

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
2.8capri said:
hi all, just need advice on how often should i have the van service.i have checked all appliances are working fine.forgot to say its had a service march 2010 all ok.just checked tyres on the paper work they are 5 years old but the tread and side walls are ok so when should i replace them.last thing is brakes should i have them checked every year or two.thanks terry sorry just another how much do i pay for a service and do i go for a full service or just damp test?

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
Hi there.
I would have a service done every year, in the service all your gas is checked for leaks as well as your brakes so any issues should show up. Also a damp test is carried out and make sure you recieve a damp report sheet. Plus all the usual stuff as in greasing, water filters, running gear, chassis etc etc. Your service should be a full one and expect to pay around £180.
As for your tyres its recommended you replace them every 7 years even if there is loads of tread as they deterioate with being open to the elements of the weather.
Hope this has been a help.
Dougie.....

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
hi 2.8 capri nice car.As for your question of service i get ours done every year just for peace of mind well worth £200 quid as for tyres change them when there 5 yrs old no longer as they will have perished maybe not visible but again better safe than blow out.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just a couple of points.
You say you have checked the gas appliances and they are ok, but how have you determined that?, have you done a flue gas analysis? have you done a room CO test to establish that all the seals on the fire, water heater and fridge sealing are doing what they should?
How have you determined that the brakes and hitch mechanisms are working correctly?
How have you tested the RCD and battery charging systems?

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
hi damian-moderator,i personally havent checked the gas but i bought the caravan with a full service every year up to 2010 ,should that not do all what you have said. on the paper work gas and electrics and brakes have all bean done so do i need to have all this done every year.as for myself checking the appliaces i ment i turn them all on and they work fine, i have not done any test as such sorry should have said that,

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thank you for your reply.
There are differing ideas as to what should be done, but the thing to bear in mind is that it is your safety and that of your family that is paramount.

Annual servicing is one way of achieving the safety standard if done correctly, and that is where some people have found problems.
What has been listed as checked has proven not be in some cases.
I would strongly recommend getting a Mobile Mechanic to carry out your annual servicing.
A list of Approved Workshops can be found here: http://www.approvedworkshops.co.uk/search/
Or, if your van is out of warranty some good engineers can be found here: http://www.mobilecaravanengineers.co.uk/mcea-find-an-engineer.htm

If your van still has any warranty remaining it is essential that a NCC Approved Workshop carries out the servicing to maintain the warranty. You will see that several of the MCEA engineers are also NCC Approved.

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
hi,the van is out of warranty as its a 2000 lx 462 luner but really well looked after model by previous owners.thanks for the info on service engineers,this is what the site is all about.thanks for your time

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
I see costs of £180/£200 being mentioned for a service. I've just paid £248.65 for a service on a single axle 3 year old Bailey. Have I been had over?

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Hi Chrisbee 1

We have a twin axle so dearer to service than single axle, last year paid £213 this year paid £223 so I would say your bill is on the high side.

Cheers
John

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Quote " I've just paid £248.65 for a service on a single axle 3 year old Bailey. Have I been had over?"

In a word,,,,,,,,Yes
That price is even expensive for a twin axle van.

Nov 5, 2006
Visit site
smiley-cry.gif
I see my local Bailey dealer is charging £248 for a single axle service. But my local NCC & bailey approved mobile engineer charges £150

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I think you'll find that dealers will often charge what they can get away with. For the last couple of years I was paying around £200+ for a single axle. This year I used a qualified mobile mechanic who came to me and only charged £150 which is an obvious saving before you add in the travel and time off costs saved.

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
Just booked my single axle in for it's service, last year £125, this year has gone upto £150. This is at a main dealers where i brought the van.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Bailey's number one dealer is £200 for a TA £180 for a SA..
The "one shot" axle nuts are circa £ 6.00 each.
Caravans are surprisingly complex pieces of kit
Ask yourself.
Do you service your home gas boiler?
Do you do your domestic wiring to the current part P standard?
Do you understand. some of the 12 volt systems on board etc etc?

IMO a professionally annual serviced caravan will hold its value better and give you peace of mind everything is how it should be.
However choose your dealer / servicer carefully.

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Perhaps it’s a location problem. I used a main dealer as I also had a warranty repair carried out at the same time. I’ve Just been on the web site of my only local mobile fitter. His prices are from £190.00 for my van. The perils of living in the affluent south east I suppose.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Quote "
Do you do your domestic wiring to the current part P standard?"

Part P has no significance as far as caravans are concerned.
Part P is entirely related to domestic dwellings etc , NOT recreational leisure vehicles.

Also, during an Annual Service the boiler fridge and fire are not "Serviced" as such, simply a check on flame pattern by most dealers.
A good Mobile engineer will also do a flue gas analysis and room CO test.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Damian-Moderator said:
Quote "
Do you do your domestic wiring to the current part P standard?"

Part P has no significance as far as caravans are concerned.
Part P is entirely related to domestic dwellings etc , NOT recreational leisure vehicles.

Also, during an Annual Service the boiler fridge and fire are not "Serviced" as such, simply a check on flame pattern by most dealers.
A good Mobile engineer will also do a flue gas analysis and room CO test.
Damian
I merely refer to the level of competency that is required in a domestic dwelling.
The significance is that a caravan is a complex piece of kit.The electrical and gas appliances require a high degree of competency in the same way as that of the home . I agree the qualifications are different but in no way would I downgrade them.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
i had my 2008 bailey ranger srviced late 2010 at a bailey dealer for £140 then last year for £180! My latest caravan was bought from the same dealer fully serviced a 2006 sterling eccles jewel,and after i got it home i took out the spare wheel form the alko carrier only to find 4 delves on the side walls where it had been rubbing on the bars.Should this have been picked up on the service?It looks like they have just looked at it,saw it was a new tyre and passed it.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I presume by "delves" you mean dents where the tyre sits on the carrier.
If so, this is well known and not a particular safety issue as once th etyre is brought into service the "dents" will vey quickly disappear.
It is caused by the tyre being pressed against the bars by the retaining nut/bolt and is not rubbing.

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Oh Dear.
Collected my van yesterday from a dealer near Daventry
yesterday after its first service at a cost of £294 so against the quote above for £248 Im the one thats been had over.
Thankfully nothing found of any importance to the warrenty was found so I was quite a happy bunny in one way .
Sir Roger

Oct 22, 2007
Visit site
£294
smiley-cry.gif
Last years service/damp test was £140 all in at our supplying dealer, went to book for this year's and told it would be £180+parts+damp test+VAT so £240+. Checked out local mobile fitter who also has a workshop and it was £140 at the workshop or plus an hours labour (£30) to come out, only half a mile from home, spoken highly of by local owners and he's also on the Elddis list so it was a no brainer to take the van to him.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
SirRogerFartingtonFortesqueSmyth said:
Oh Dear.
Collected my van yesterday from a dealer near Daventry
yesterday after its first service at a cost of £294 so against the quote above for £248 Im the one thats been had over.
Thankfully nothing found of any importance to the warrenty was found so I was quite a happy bunny in one way .
Sir Roger
I think Sir Roger when you turned up in the family Rolls and SWMBO was sporting her mink and fox furs and you showed them your brown cavalry twill trouser family tartan and proffered your Coutts cheque book they had one over on you.
smiley-cool.gif

Daventry is hardly Chelsea so their charges do seem excessive. Do you want me to send the dogs in to sort them out?
smiley-laughing.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts