Servicing stickers.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Every year , when our van is serviced we get a sticker attached to the van.recently had the A frame cover replaced under Warranty, and lost all the servicing bumf. Has anyone ever been asked to produce evidence that their van has been serviced when arriving on site.,
Hutch.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I've never seen an internet comment from a touring caravan owner who mentioned being asked for evidence of servicing by a site operative. (I've known static caravan owners who had to upgrade to stay on site)
Touring caravan servicing may be desirable but it's not compulsory.

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
If someone asked me to show evidence of my caravan being serviced I would ask on what grounds are they asking for evidence and then it would be a two word reply like, go away :)

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Every year , when our van is serviced we get a sticker attached to the van.recently had the A frame cover replaced under Warranty, and lost all the servicing bumf. Has anyone ever been asked to produce evidence that their van has been serviced when arriving on site.,
Hutch.
I forgot to add earlier Hutch, the proof of servicing is important if you part exchange or sell your caravan at some stage.
The real proof consists of stamps in the service book though, A frame stickers are irrelevant. :)

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
EH52ARH said:
Has anyone ever been asked to produce evidence that their van has been serviced when arriving on site.,.

I've not heard that one before neither can I see any reason why it would be. I did read a couple of years ago that Spanish sites were in future only going to admit caravans that had an up-to-date gas inspection certificate but since I've never been asked for one, presumably it was just another piece from the internet rumour mill.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The servicing stickers are no more than the same kind of sticker your child gets when visiting the doctor and getting their inoculations done ! They have no legal significance whatsoever.

The only record you are advised to keep up to date with is the stamps in your service book and the receipts from the workshop doing the servicing.

The only people who take some, but not a lot, of notice are the Police and VOSA when they stop you as the sticker gives a first glance idea that the van is at least roadworthy and the owner does take pride in their outfit.

As for the rumours about sites demanding various certificates for gas and electric that is simply not true, it was mooted by the AWS and was seen as a money making ploy, even the main clubs distanced themselves from that rumour.
As engineers we were forced to go on expensive courses for 230vand 12v system testing and certification, then promote the myth of sites needing said certificates.
I will not go over it all again as it was a disgusting ruse and I firmly believe that for someone not already familiar with electrics, a two day "course", most of which had NOTHING to do with caravans, was enough to "qualify" the engineer.

Myself, and some other engineers I know, even though being 17th Edition certified was not enough for the AWS, we still had to go on these stupid "courses" at over £600 each.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Thanks to all, I just thought that I had read somewhere about some sites asking for proof of servicing. Gòod point Damian about if your stopped by the Police they can see, My van has been serviced. Maybe if I put my sticker which I recieved this morning From the C&MHC for being a member for 10 years, the Police will lock me up for Being a member. :p

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Thanks to all, I just thought that I had read somewhere about some sites asking for proof of servicing. Gòod point Damian about if your stopped by the Police they can see, My van has been serviced. Maybe if I put my sticker which I recieved this morning From the C&MHC for being a member for 10 years, the Police will lock me up for Being a member. :p

If I were you, I'd also cover up any reference to being a member of the woosies, as that will be like a red rag to a bull if they suspect you are one! :silly: :S :whistle:

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
I find it strange for the Police to stop a car towing a caravan and be more concerned about checking if the caravan is up to date with it's service history rather than the car,

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
A service is not like an mot? If you have bald tyres it will still get serviced but you will be advised to get them replaced, up to you if you do?

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
camel said:
I find it strange for the Police to stop a car towing a caravan and be more concerned about checking if the caravan is up to date with it's service history rather than the car,

Who even suggested that???????????????

What I said was if the Police and VOSA do their roadside checks on cars towing trailers, including caravans, the sticker is a quick easy reference for the two agencies to be aware that the van is roadworthy, unlike many trailers, and they do not have to be quite so vigilant as far as that aspect goes.

Nowhere did anyone say they would be "more concerned" about checking the van.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the rest of the service as all they are concerned about is roadworthiness, not if the heating works or the toilet flushes !!!!!!

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Damian-Moderator said:
The servicing stickers are no more than the same kind of sticker your child gets when visiting the doctor and getting their inoculations done ! They have no legal significance whatsoever.

Damien you have broken my heart!!! :(
I have collected mine with real pride :)

Guess how long I have had my van

IMG_20170516_201754871_zpss3ikpwdx.jpg

May 7, 2012
Visit site
As servicing is not a legal requirement I cannot see police asking for evidence in normal circumstances. If you are stopped and the caravan is faulty and you mention it was serviced then they might look at that.
I did get the sticker this year stu k on the drawbar cover but hva not had one for a few years before that.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Gagakev said:
Damian-Moderator said:

Damien you have broken my heart!!! :(
I have collected mine with real pride :)

Guess how long I have had my van

IMG_20170516_201754871_zpss3ikpwdx.jpg
Thats the same amount of stickers i have, but my last 4 are water damaged to indicate damp lol

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Presumably tour caravan dealer will have records of servicing and could provide you with copies if you have not retained the originals. As you have had a fairing replaced under warranty you must have abided by the required service schedules. Handy to be able to demonstrate your diligence (and outlay) when you come to sell the van. And of course some insurance companies also insist on routine servicing and therefore would presumably ask for evidence if you ever needed to make a claim. Don't expect that dealerships keep any back years stickers, but might be worth an ask?

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I am not bothered about previous year stickers, as I have all the relevemt servicing documents. Menquirey was Just a thought.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Come on Dusty, try again, or is it an Early G andT because of the rain. . Called the dogs to go out they just curled up tighter.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Come on Dusty, try again, or is it an Early G andT because of the rain. . Called the dogs to go out they just curled up tighter.
Eureka! Cracked it.

Go back one page.
Still on the greasy downward slope 1 1/2 :cheer:

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Well done, let you know Friday. 2 SP days this week.
Sill trying to find where I read about servicing and the stickers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts