Should I Keep Her

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
ok folks, got wee bit of a dilemma on my hands and lookin for some advice. as some of ye will know i am the new kid on the block and only recently bought my box, this was bought for me and the wee yin to have the chance of gettin away from our usual environment and have the opportunity to chill and relax. for years i have been a biker and have enjoyed my weekend blasts away all over the country, sort of bike therapy. however this was only giving me the opportunity to enjoy this, so thats why i asked her if she would fancy caravanning. at first she thought i was joking until i told her i would gladly sell my bike to help buy one if she really wanted to do it. fair play to her, she said no way would she let me sell my bike and that we would be able to buy a caravan if i really thought that we would use it. well now that we have had it for the last wee while and have had our maiden voyage in it i know we have made the right decision and we are both so enthusiastic about the future. the two of us work in a really stressful environment and to look forward to weekends away and longer periods during summer months has been so uplifting for us. anyway, since having the caravan i have hardly even looked at my bike, something i cherished and tended to on a daily basis, so, crunchtime. i know i would get app 5 grand for it, so do i sell it on to someone who will use it for its purpose and surprise her with the windfall, or, keep it and hardly use it throughout the year due to being too busy caravanning ?.

long post, i know, but couldnt condense it.

cheers.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Now here is the sensible advice. You have only just started caravanning and you haven't yet settled into a regular pattern of van use. Therefore it is much too soon to make the decision. Give it 3-6 months, see how using the van/using the bike pans out then decide. Unless you really really need the cash give yourself time, don't knee jerk. I know it is boring advice but someone on here has to keep some sort of grip on reality.

mel

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
dean, it was my motorbike that won her wee heart over all those years ago (and my charm obviously), so bikes have always been part of us. what im saying about selling it is something i never thought i would hear myself saying, but now we have the caravan i realise this will give us the opportunity for the two of us to enjoy some well earned breaks. i take on board what mel advised, however, we have thought really hard about it and it is a totally joint decision that we have taken the caravan route, never once has she hinted to me to get rid of the bike, quite the opposite. but the way i look at it is that it will be sitting in the garage every time we are away, therefore becoming a wee bit surplus to requirements. make no mistake, we are as enthusiastic as anyone now that we have (oor van ).

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Highlander I always knew you were a wee sweetie. Do you have to make a decision right now? My son has a Fireblade and on more than one occasion he has thought about being sensible and selling it. He is away in his truck a lot heart and has just had our old van off us. But when the sun comes out he wants to get on the blade with his 13 year old daughter and go for a spin.My old head says "sell" but a bikers heart beats to a different drummer.

TC

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
i hear ye thursday, an i know about a bikers heart. just feel that the new enthusiasm we now have between us will probably outwiegh the drive i had for the bike. i haven't looked at it since we got the caravan, an that aint like me. btw, mine is also a fireblade :)

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
I know you say you havent looked at it since youve had your van,but you would miss it when its gone,its the winter and its cold not biking weather.The nicer weather will be here and you will miss the bike.

My sits in the garage over this period and i think what a waste of money, but when i get back on it i haved missed it and it still gives me that grin factor which no car ever has.

If you had a 2 year absence on biking and wanted to get back into it again with a big sportbike you would find it difficult to get insurance as they like you to have at at least a 600.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Sold mine back in 1989 when it became a recreational indulgence.

So regret it even now as had been a biker from my teens.

So if I replayed my life I would take it off road 6 months of the year.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Dear highlander, don't take the problem to your head and worry about it so much. This problem manifests itself on to most males at varying stages of their lives. At some time they give up alcohol or cut down, another time they may well give up fishing for another pasttime usually something involving their partner. There are lots of examples which I could give where males sacrifice some kind of pleasure for the sake of their wee wifey. It's an affliction called 'getting older'.

Regards, Uncle Windy.

May 21, 2007
Visit site
Sell -------- Sell -------- Sell

Enjoy the money. You will be able to buy the deluxe version of the vacuum cleaner you were on about before Xmas. Long term investment in the wee lass.

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
Keep--Keep--Keep

Sold my bike about 3 years ago lasted just short of

7 months before i had to get another.

Once its in your blood you can`t escape.

lindsay

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Keep it, you'll regret it otherwise. About 3 years ago my 1200 Bandit was stolen out of my garage(somebody knew it was there?)we were in bed. So I said to hwmbo that's it then, a good time (I was 63/64)to hang my leathers up.(Police weren't interested had to remind them to take the registration!!) Insurance settled up, no problems there, a grand or two in the bank!! But oh!! did those withdrawal symptons set in, lasted about 2 months, that's when I bought the Honda, brilliant couldn't live without it. Just conflicts with my other 2 wheeler hobby. But worth the compromise. KEEP IT

ctj

Feb 16, 2008
Visit site
get one like they had on on the buses side car combination ye mrs can tow van and ye could follow.or would you be like mr toad.
As already said keep it and see whan happens in the better weather i had a speedboat (was my pride and joy ) the weather had been bad and i hadnt been able to use it so i sold it i regreted it as it pulled off the drive but i had convinsed myself it was what i wanted to do same as yourself my wife told me to keep it!

ctj

Feb 16, 2008
Visit site
As already said keep it and see whan happens in the better weather i had a speedboat (was my pride and joy ) the weather had been bad and i hadnt been able to use it so i sold it i regreted it as it pulled off the drive but i had convinsed myself it was what i wanted to do same as yourself my wife told me to keep it!

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
highlander, we had a similar dilema 5 years ago, used the VFR most w/e and 2/3 evenings in the summer, then we went and got a dog (I know its not a caravan bear with me..........)

We wanted to spend time as a unit including the dog so the bike got used less and less until 3 years ago only used it once, sold it and never missed it. As we caravan we tended to use that w/e instead of the bike as we could take the dog with us.

Id keep it for until after the summer to see if its the caravan or the bike for you, if caravanning isnt and you sold your pride and joy you would regret it.

Kevin

Feb 15, 2009
Visit site
HI! Highlander i had the same problem as you but was lucky enough to afford to keep the Triumph trophy 900 and buy a new Swift charisma 550 so KEEP the bike if possible and think it will be an investment in the long run if you keep it clean with very low miles on the clock ( which i think you will by the sound of your posts if you know what i mean ) good luck with whatever you do

Cheers Duggie (in the Scottish Highlands)

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
douggie, cheers buddy. but ye never read my post right, i stated quite clearly i dont need to sell the bike, financially it aint a problem. but i dont want to see it sitting in the garage all year due to us being away in the caravan when someone else could be making good use of her.

hope yev got the thermals on mate, disny look promising for you guys tonite, - 24 expected, brrr.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts