Should my stabiliser creak? (leaf type S.A.S. products)

Aug 1, 2005
Visit site
The title of this post says it all. Just fitted a sas stabiliser, it looks exactly like the Bulldog, going round corners it creaks. The van didnt creak before. Is it too tight or what?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
we use the bull dog stabilizer,and until lately are's creaked we tryed cleaning the disc's off but until we replaced the disc's it continued to creak, now it is fine.

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
A creaking / squeeling Stabiliser is driving us insane! We bought the 'van with an Alko 2700 stabiliser and it was silent on the way home from Preston. However we then heard that it should eb run DRY. So we have dried it with alcohol + the 50mm (alko tow ball - shiny metal no paint!) and now the creaking and sqeeling is SO LOUD as we degotiate any bend.

A dealer told me yesterday that this noise was inevitable and that the only way to stop it is to use grease which then prevents the stabiliser from working ....

Do we really have to put up with this???

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
Al-Ko state that and AL-Ko hitch stabalizer will only creak if the discs are contaminated. I have a AKS1300, which is fine. If you have any firther concerns you should contact Al-Ko direct. They are based in Warwickshire, and other people have mentioned that they are very helpful.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I spoke to AlKo yesterday and they confirmed that either contamination or glazing of the pads are possible causes of creaks. The first thing to try is to rub them down with emery paper. If that doesn't work try a degreasing agent. If contamination is so bad that that doesn't work, either, you would have to change the pads.

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
Hi Lutz, I think I've mentioned this before on these forums but by cleaning a tow ball with emery you are in fact covering it with oil as emery is oil based, much better to use wet and dry paper.

Hi

I've got an al-ko 2700 and use to have a squealing hitch and after receiving plenty of good feed back from the good people on this forum, my problem has now gone away. firstly every time i take the van out sight seeing i give the tow ball a very light rub with wet and dry (dry). Then i degreese the hitch with brake disc cleaner (spray) and give the inside of the hitch a rub with an old cloth.

Ps i bet your squeal is worse when its been raining!!!!!!!!!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts