should they be white?

Jul 26, 2007
Visit site
While I love our white van (especially when someone else has just cleaned and polished it), I think white vans can be a blot on an otherwise beautiful landscape. Wouldn't caravans and caravaners earn themselves a better name if they were coloured to blens in better with their surroundings? I don't relish having our white van changed to green/ grey/ brown etc but I do think it would make our country side look better. However, I don't expect anyone will agree with me.

Feb 11, 2007
Visit site
I remember a farmer in the lake distict saying that the NT were going to close a site because it spoilt the landscape, i could see what he meant as amongst this lovey view a large patch of white stood out, and this was in the sixties.

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
Why stop with vans?

How about green asphalt on motorways, and blue and white on the underside of planes?

If we all wore camoflage we would all blend in and there would be no need for designer labels.

Maybe we could ban red brick farm houses in the middle of green fields.

I don`t think it`s something we should raise, let the `anti` brigade think of their own campaigns.

May 29, 2007
Visit site
I detest the colour green with so much vengence you would not believe. Second only to that is the colour brown! Personally i think that caravans should come in a range of colours starting with ultra pink down to moroccan Red! Well it works for me!:0}

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Angus what a brilliant idea - if we were all to dress in camoflage then there would be no problem with illegal immigrants as we would not be able to recognise one. You have solved the Government's problem in one easy statement WELL DONE SIR.

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
Topaz

To answer the original question,the main reason for the choice of white is because light colours reflect heat, whereas dark ones absorb heat. So an environmently friendly dark green van would probably be fitted with an unfriendly air con system to stop the occupants frying in summer! Also dark colours, especially shiny ones show absolutely every surface imperfection, which is why black cars used to cost more

Jul 18, 2006
Visit site
I detest the colour green with so much vengence you would not believe. Second only to that is the colour brown! Personally i think that caravans should come in a range of colours starting with ultra pink down to moroccan Red! Well it works for me!:0}
So Diane, I take it you don't like gardening (unless you have red soil, and pink grass) ? :)

May 27, 2006
Visit site
The 'trade' excuse for 'white only' used to be that if all 'vans were white they could nearly guarantee having any panel for thier past and present models in stock at all times.

If `vans came in a variaty of colours then missmatch of shades etc. would always be a risk.

Whether that still holds true or not I can`t say but it does seem reasonable to me.

BTW I quite like some of the grey/blue shades that are now becoming popular

Apr 15, 2006
Visit site
Thats what I did

S4020308.jpg

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Topaz,

The ignorant people who are not caravanners call our caravans tin boxes on wheels do you want people to call our caravans gypsy wagons with all the different colours?No lets stick to white.We have had this debate on here before approm.18months ago.Jim

May 29, 2007
Visit site
Lovin the Red!Rubix I don't have a garden i have a field and a pation.(With 20 Patio heaters). Brown and green are puke! Go bright and show your fun side. And Jim, Who you calling a pikey?

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
hi all

there is a woodland site near callander in scotland where you can perminantly site a van tourer or static near the loch the only previso is that it is painted green to blend in with the trees?

May 21, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

Just a thought.If we were going with this colour scheme would it mean that my caravan would be white in winter to blend with the snow,brown in spring cos the trees are bare and only the trunks are showing,or to be more daring brown stripes,and if I go somewhere where there is a lot of sand would the van be painted yellow.

Pat

Feb 11, 2007
Visit site
The 'trade' excuse for 'white only' used to be that if all 'vans were white they could nearly guarantee having any panel for thier past and present models in stock at all times.

If `vans came in a variaty of colours then missmatch of shades etc. would always be a risk.

Whether that still holds true or not I can`t say but it does seem reasonable to me.

BTW I quite like some of the grey/blue shades that are now becoming popular
When i had a Transit in white i found out there were eleven whites to choose from.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Diane,

Put your reading glasses on a re-read what I said ! I didn't say anything about pikeys,but there is a difference beetween pikeys and gypsies,a big difference,obviously you don't know so that shows some ignorance on your part.Jim

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Back in the 1960's when I started caravanning, some makers did offer other than white vans. Sprite were grey and pale green and others had some brown tones. But it seems the non-white vans didn't sell very well - so the makers bowed to "customer preference" - at least, that's what they said.

We now have dozens of shades of white which actually does not make the problem of panel matching any easier, particularly when manufacturers change the shade so frequently.

Look round next time on site and see how many "whites" you can distinguish.

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
The new Conqueror is available in a silver colour according to the CC mag.

Not sure about it myself, I think I would rather see a field of white vans then a mixture but not really that bothered.

May 29, 2007
Visit site
JIM. Thats what you know is it, Mate? Well perhaps you would like to come visists with some pikey friends of mine who claim to be gypsies. AND as for being Ignorant, Well look at your own door step first, you rude little man!

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
Diane,

Put your reading glasses on a re-read what I said ! I didn't say anything about pikeys,but there is a difference beetween pikeys and gypsies,a big difference,obviously you don't know so that shows some ignorance on your part.Jim
Jim - I too encountered this person. The moment you say something she doesn't like, she resorts to abuse!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts