Shower Extract Fan

Mar 8, 2017
wandering.me.uk
The shower cubicle in our Lunar Clubman has a 100mm grill through the roof; as a ventilator this is ineffective and I want to replace it with some sort of electic extract fan and I wonder if anyone has made a similar conversion?

There is a 12 volt light adjacent from where I can pick up a supply. I would prefer a flush fitting unit but suppose that I could use a surface fan if it doesn't project too far.

Apr 19, 2017
Visit site
I assume that this 100x100mm aperture has a fixed cover over it to exclude rain, and this probably limits natural ventilation?

I would use a standard 12v computer fan. It should be possible to fit a low-profile fan within the thickness of the roof insulation, but even standard size would only protrude slightly inside or out. I have used these fans effectively for both showers and cooker hoods at home.

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
WE used the blown air system to ventilate wash room after using shower and found this most adequate.The shower cubicle was dried out in no time and the washroom ventilated.
Having said that, this was only to test the shower when we had just received the van.We never shower in the van and find site showers usually give a superior shower.Only when site facilities are not up to scratch do we shower in the van.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
If you have a look at 'ventilation' on 'cak tanks' website several rooflight fans by different makers and in different sizes are listed. Is that what you were considering as a permanent solution?

Mar 8, 2017
wandering.me.uk
Thank you all for your helpful replies.

I have identified a potential candidate in a Manrose BSF 112W fan which I shall be ordering shortly and I will let you know how I get on with it's fitting.

Mar 8, 2017
wandering.me.uk
Sparkysrule said:
Hi
I have just seen your post from last year as we have the same issue. Did you have any look with installing a fan that would do the job.
Thanks

No I haven't. The fan I referred to turned out to be a 12v AC fan and not 12v DC that I need. :(

Aug 29, 2018
Visit site
Just looked online at the fan. It states it is DC as you require/ required. I am going to buy one of these and see if it's successful. Only issue I can foresee is switching. I will have to connect the fan the the switched side if the light adjacent or else it will be running constantly.
Cheers.

Mar 8, 2017
wandering.me.uk
Sparkysrule said:
Just looked online at the fan. It states it is DC as you require/ required. I am going to buy one of these and see if it's successful. Only issue I can foresee is switching. I will have to connect the fan the the switched side if the light adjacent or else it will be running constantly.
Cheers.

You are quite right, they seem to make two, one AC and one DC. Unfortunatly the DC version seems to be (a) dearer and (b) hard to come by. Please post the details of your supplier.

Aug 29, 2018
Visit site
I am an electrician by trade and have purchased one of the dc versions from edmunsons electrical wholesalers in Barnsley. They do have branches nationwide or another electrical wholesaler may be able to help. It cost about £90 + the dreaded vat but if it cuts the condensation in the van it's worth it. I will be installing it next week when we are away in the van. I have soldered addition wiring to neutral and switched side of the shower light so the fan will run when the shower light is on. Connectors can be used if you don't want to solder any of the wiring. I'll update next week to let you know how it goes.
Ian.

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
Sparkysrule said:
I have soldered addition wiring to neutral and switched side of the shower light so the fan will run when the shower light is on.

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

DO NOT connect anything across the switched side of the shower light and NEUTRAL !

Neutral forms part of the van’s 240VAC mains circuit. The lighting circuit is 12VDC. They are 2 completely different electrical systems.

I would strongly suggest you seek advice from somebody who knows what they’re doing.

Ic.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
bertieboy1 said:
WE used the blown air system to ventilate wash room after using shower and found this most adequate.The shower cubicle was dried out in no time and the washroom ventilated.
Having said that, this was only to test the shower when we had just received the van.We never shower in the van and find site showers usually give a superior shower.Only when site facilities are not up to scratch do we shower in the van.

Same here !
Our shower / bathroom has a decent roof vent on the top which is adequate for letting the steam out but I probably have only used the shower once or twice :blush: ;) and had no problem with steam and that was with a good 10 minute shower and hot but we normaly use on site facilities

Mar 8, 2017
wandering.me.uk
Sparkysrule said:
I am an electrician by trade and have purchased one of the dc versions from edmunsons electrical wholesalers in Barnsley. They do have branches nationwide or another electrical wholesaler may be able to help. It cost about £90 + the dreaded vat but if it cuts the condensation in the van it's worth it. I will be installing it next week when we are away in the van. I have soldered addition wiring to neutral and switched side of the shower light so the fan will run when the shower light is on. Connectors can be used if you don't want to solder any of the wiring. I'll update next week to let you know how it goes.
Ian.

That seems to be the way to supply the fan. I look forward to reading your report after installation.

Mar 8, 2017
wandering.me.uk
Craigyoung said:
bertieboy1 said:

Same here !
Our shower / bathroom has a decent roof vent on the top which is adequate for letting the steam out but I probably have only used the shower once or twice :blush: ;) and had no problem with steam and that was with a good 10 minute shower and hot but we normaly use on site facilities

What's the point of towing a shower around and not using it?

Our caravan doesn't have a blown air heating system fortunately hence the need for a ventilation system to remove moisture and water after using the shower.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Dodger524 said:
....What's the point of towing a shower around and not using it?

Our caravan doesn't have a blown air heating system fortunately hence the need for a ventilation system to remove moisture and water after using the shower.....

So put the heating on !
...and Ha ! Are you an LC'5 teaming up to give me grief about not showering in the van ! I was put off by my last shower in the Bailey orion as it was like a wet room curtain but in the van we have now like Lc & Custard Avenger has I don't mind having a shower - now & again ! :p wont stop using on-site facilities though !

Craig .

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sparkysrule said:
.... I have soldered addition wiring to neutral and switched side of the shower light so the fan will run when the shower light is on. Connectors can be used if you don't want to solder any of the wiring. I'll update next week to let you know how it goes.
Ian.

I presume you actually mean the 0V side of the wiring, and your reference to the neutral was just an error. Otherwise Icarrus's concern would be justified.

You may find some of us are quite pedantic about using the correct names for things rather than the misused adjectives that are so common in caravanning and general circles.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Dodger524 said:
Craigyoung said:
bertieboy1 said:

Same here !

Our caravan doesn't have a blown air heating system fortunately hence the need for a ventilation system to remove moisture and water after using the shower.

Sometimes other features persuade you to choose a particular caravan and the shower comes with it. So other than removing it you have little choice but to tow it around. But isn’t it all down to personal choice whether one showers in the van or uses the site facilities. After all we don’t debate whether the toilet should be towed around.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
On a previous caravan where the shower was completely separate from the toilet I fitted a removable rail across it towards the top and it was perfect for an extra wardrobe, then when the grandkids started coming with us I fitted another one lower down so with their much shorter clothes we could have 2 rails of their clothes hanging up, both rails were removable as the bracket it slotted into was a u shaped bracket the rail just dropped into, we only used the shower on very rare occasions preferring as do others to use the on site facilities but it was easy to change back to a shower on these occasions, we got much more use out of it as a wardrobe.

BP

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Beehpee said:
On a previous caravan where the shower was completely separate from the toilet I fitted a removable rail across it towards the top and it was perfect for an extra wardrobe, then when the grandkids started coming with us I fitted another one lower down so with their much shorter clothes we could have 2 rails of their clothes hanging up, both rails were removable as the bracket it slotted into was a u shaped bracket the rail just dropped into, we only used the shower on very rare occasions preferring as do others to use the on site facilities but it was easy to change back to a shower on these occasions, we got much more use out of it as a wardrobe.

BP

Similar to yourself we have used stand alone shower cubicle as a very useful spot to hang wet gear and the blown air vent will aid drying too in winter.

Mar 8, 2017
wandering.me.uk
otherclive said:
Dodger524 said:
Craigyoung said:
bertieboy1 said:

Same here !

Sometimes other features persuade you to choose a particular caravan and the shower comes with it. So other than removing it you have little choice but to tow it around. But isn’t it all down to personal choice whether one showers in the van or uses the site facilities. After all we don’t debate whether the toilet should be towed around.

I didn't think it appropriate to raise the question of non-use of the toilet, but now that you have :lol: why do people tow one around and (apparently) not use it?

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I’d be very surprised if there were many people who didn’t use the loo but then again there’s nowt as queer as folk eh, as well as the damp, condensation and minimal quantity of hot water there is also the issue of some caravans having showers and toilets in small joint spaces which end up with everything in the room soaked and even with separate showers the cubicles are more often suitable for people who are skinny to the point of being anorexic rather than Billy Bunter types, I’m 6 feet weighing in at 13stone and I’ve not fancied squeezing into any tourers showers I’ve been in, other than when it’s strictly necessary, each to there own though.

BP

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
Sparkysrule said:
.... I have soldered addition wiring to neutral and switched side of the shower light so the fan will run when the shower light is on. Connectors can be used if you don't want to solder any of the wiring. I'll update next week to let you know how it goes.
Ian.

I presume you actually mean the 0V side of the wiring, and your reference to the neutral was just an error. Otherwise Icarrus's concern would be justified.

You may find some of us are quite pedantic about using the correct names for things rather than the misused adjectives that are so common in caravanning and general circles.

Prof,

Based on many years of experience through regular dealings with electricians up and down the country, my concern is fully justified, and wasn’t posted in anticipation of your validation based on one of your presumptions.

@Sparky - If you’re unsure, please seek professional advice, and stay safe.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Beehpee said:
I’d be very surprised if there were many people who didn’t use the loo but then again there’s nowt as queer as folk eh, as well as the damp, condensation and minimal quantity of hot water there is also the issue of some caravans having showers and toilets in small joint spaces which end up with everything in the room soaked and even with separate showers the cubicles are more often suitable for people who are skinny to the point of being anorexic rather than Billy Bunter types, I’m 6 feet weighing in at 13stone and I’ve not fancied squeezing into any tourers showers I’ve been in, other than when it’s strictly necessary, each to there own though.

BP
I use CLs, and very occasionally off grid, so shower in van (and Toilet) is a must.
I'm 5' 10" and 15st so not so skinny,( although not a Billy Bunter type) and find the shower in my Challenger big enough.
I can bend down and pick up soap with ease.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts