Single Axle v Twin Axle

Aug 26, 2008
Visit site
Hi to all of you. This question may well have been asked before but I would be grateful for any advice. At the moment we have a single axle fixed island bed caravan. Today on our home from a weekend away we stopped at a caravan dealer and shop to pick up some bits and pieces. Other half went off for a wander and got all excited about a twin axle 2008 island bed model. Yes it was lovely and spacious but I have heard so many stories about TA's finding it hard to get pitches on sites, commercial and otherwise. We also intend going to spain next year for a couple of weeks and I am not sure how TA's fare there either. I would appreciate your honest opinions and experiences if only to stop hubby saying I am putting obstacles in the way !!!.

Yours gratefully

Nov 12, 2007
Visit site
We have a large twin (Sterling Searcher) and it is great, so spacious. Fixed side bed with full rear bathroom. We plan to tour extensively in Europe, Spain next spring, and do not anticipate any problems as a UK van towed by a UK car.

Now, if we had a white Ford Transit it might be different, but.........

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Julie

Always had singles until we bought the Wyoming TA this year. Never looked back. A mover is a must, they are heavy but tow like a dream. Never had a problem getting on a pitch. There are plenty of singles and weight the same as a TA.The last single we had was a Bailey S5 Pageant Vendee and that wasn't that easy moving by hand. Your choice I guess.

Cheers

Alan

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Julie

We have an island bed twin axle, which is also our first twin axle. Now we have got used to the extra space and the surefooted feeling you get towing a twin wheeler I wouldnot move back to a single.

Never had an issue getting a pitch and one of the other benefits of a twin because they react slower to the cars steering are far easier to reverse.

Because we have plenty of room in our storage compound and drive we did not have a mover fitted, but if your storage space is tight a mover would be invaluable, as alan says they are impossible to move by hand. The mover would also be useful abroad where pitch accesS can sometimes be tighter than in the UK.

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
We bought a twin axle last May and sold it in December. It was such a pantomime getting it in and out of storage and trying to move it (it had a mover), that in the end we found we weren't going out so much because it was more trouble than it was worth. Solid it and went back to a single axle, never again.

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
You do need to be able to reverse well or have a motor mover fitted.

TA are only about 75 cms longer than some single axles but do have their weight spread across 4 wheels.

They do seem to ride better not so bouncy as single axles,this may have something to do with tyre pressures as singles are higher.

Some sites in Spain are very tight but the same is said in France with some sites not allowing TA at certain times of the year.

Downside is you do tend to need a hefty car to tow them.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Julie, We've got the same van as Jennifer (Sterling Elite Searcher) brilliant van with plenty of room and well equipped.

Absolute dream to tow & as Richard S stated they react slower when reversing making it easier to reverse than a single axle.

You do need a big enough tow car but I think the pro's far outway any con's. Good luck whatever you decide.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ann

No problem with insurance, infact because the van had a Phantom tracker fitted my insurance premium actually costs slightly less than my previous Senator Oklahoma.

Jun 1, 2008
Visit site
Wouldn't touch a TA.....You need a mover and definately a 4x4 and they are poo poo on some sites abroad plus they are an absolute ****** to move, we have a single axle Swift which tows beautifully at 65mph and is definately NOT TWITCHY can be shifted by hand and is accepted anywere,,Twin axles?? thanks but NO THANKS. Absolutely no advantages to lugging a 1850kg monster anywere.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Tom

If it suits you. No problem. But people do sometimes need more room and go for a TA or European single. I've had both and enjoyed them equally. I can say the TA is far more stable but take your point you need a powerful tug for the job. No problem for me ; we don't do 60k a year anymore since hanging up our boots.

Cheers

Alan

spj

Apr 5, 2006
Visit site
I have had 2 single axles and 2 twins, I would not go back to a single, if you can drive and reverse there is no need for a mover, mine is parked behind our house down the side of our garage with very little room to move it, but it goes in with the car.

Insurance can be more expensive but with the right security can also be cheaper.

There is no need for 2 axles on a caravan but when fitted with 2 axles they have softer suspension and more compliant car tyres rather than harder sidewalled commercial tyres fitted to heavier single axles so they do not bounce about as much.

Softer tyres will normally grip better than a harder tyre, they run at lower pressures and the wieght is spread over 4 tyres and with 4 brakes fitted they will stop quicker, in the event of a blowout the tyre carcass is lighter than a commercial tyre so could do less damage to the caravan and one blowout on a single axle will have far more effect on the stability of the outfit than one tyre on a twin axle.

Single axles are fine but a twin tows better which I believe is down to the softer tyres and suspension rather than the number of wheels, although 4 wheels are needed to allow the suspension and tyres to be softer.

Some people seem to have a need to defend single axles and are totally against twins but people who have had both nearly always prefer the twins.

spj.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi SPJ,

Fully agree but just one point.

Places like Polmanter , St Ives , Ardmair Point Ullapool and others require you to go in forwards to gain the best views. Trust me, you need a mover to achieve this. That's the main reason we have one on our TA, not because I can't reverse!!

Cheers

Alan

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Few caravan topics are as controversial or raise so much passion as the eternal discussion regarding the relative merits of single and twin axles. As far as I'm concerned, it really isn't an issue. If the caravan can make do with one axle, why have two? It's more weight and must cost more to produce. Conversely, if the caravan is so heavy that it needs a second axle, then a twin is what is needed.

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
not all T/A are heavy ,our Lunar Lexon 640 is 1600 KG if you load it to maximum , which is only 100 KG heavier than our last single axle Indiana , i am a devotee of the T/A

Jun 14, 2008
Visit site
Thanks to all of you for your responses, we are still "discussing" the pros and cons. All replies have bee gratefully received and any more will still help. we will be going to the NEC in October so I expect "discusssions" to continue!! For those of you who have travelled abroad with a TA were the ferry costs substantially more? We are looking at going to Spain and Portugal next year via Bilbao, maybe I should put that last question on the Overseas forum.

Thanks Again.

Julie

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
went to spain last christmas for a month , and i just got back from the Dordogne in France ,my cousin followed us with his single axle , and both prices were the same

spj

Apr 5, 2006
Visit site
Lutz,

I agree that caravans can 'make do' with one axle but with 4 tyres and 4 brakes saftey has to be better. The same argument could be used for cars, why have ABS, airbags, seatbelt pre-tensioners, side impact bars or laminated windscreens? non of which are needed until something goes wrong and they are all extra wieght to carry around.

spj.

Mar 2, 2006
Visit site
Who says an 1800kg caravan has to be a twin axle? There are several single axles of that size on the market.
Hi Lutz,

Can you tell me of an 1800Kgs thats available in UK on a single axle,I know a few years ago I was looking at a Burstner on a singe axle and that was 1600kgs,that was a terrific spec van but was out of stock.

Dec 27, 2006
Visit site
For years we stuck with s/a vans , listening to many scare stories about twins. Well last year we opted for a t/a Lunar delta and I wish we had changed years ago.

The twin is a lot more stable on the road, fuel consumption is no different and the internal space is very noticeable and appreciated.

Reversing is simple although I would agree that a mover is essential , whilst we rarely use the mover it is there for the few instances when the van cant be moved by the car.

Mar 2, 2006
Visit site
Hi Julie,

At this moment in time we have a Rallye Compass 644 it has an Island bed,the wifes choice I might add,it weighes in at 1900kgs and I tow it with a KIA Sedona 05,you do not need a 4x4 unless you prefer one,I have toured over most of europe and have never had a problem getting my T/A on any site.The best van as far as Im concerned was a single axled bailey 510/4 Ranger 1999 our first new van it was great and had it two years without any problems.Since then I have had six vans two were german which were top quality and had no problems with them either,The only vans I had problems with were Lunar one was a lexon ew.the other was a delta 640 and they were CR-P build quality was well below standard on both of them the roofs used to crease and buckle,the list of faults is to long for this post

One of the nicest was the Crusader Storm it had a great interior,The Bailey Senator California was good value,

Good Luck with your choice

Allen

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Spj, if you have access to accident data confirming that twin axle caravans are actually safer than single axled ones, I would be very grateful for reference to this information. Until then, I will reserve judgement.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Lutz

I do prefer the TA but mainly because it's bigger. That's why I bought it, not because it was a TA.

The large singles just don't look right to my eye. I noticed one yesterday at our storage where the tyres are pumped up to 52psi. Not a problem and within the design. I think such a large single is taking the bounds of design and strength to the limits. I'm no engineer but I know I'd rather cross the Atlantic in a 4 engined jet rather than 2.

Cheers

Alan

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts