Site Deposits

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I've just been asked to pay £70.00 non-refundable deposit for a seven night stay at a caravan site in April - off peak between Easter and the May Day BH. The total cost for the week was approx. £130.00.

Am I right to think this is a bit lumpy? After all, I've only had to pay £100.00 deposit for my fortnight in France which includes ferries, sites and insurance.

I suspect that the site operator concerned has been let down a lot in the past and for that I have a great deal of sympathy. So now do they charge this size of deposit to ensure that only genuine people turn up? It equates to £10.00 per night so does that mean that on a 14 night holiday, you are required to pay a £140.00 deposit?

I'm not being snide or snotty but this is the biggest deposit by a country mile that I have ever been asked to pay to a UK caravan site.

I'd be interested to hear other peoples' opinions.

Cheers,

Vic

Jan 3, 2007
Visit site
Vic....I agree it is a bit steep but it is very difficult for the site owners who seem to be let down so much these days. If the deposit was'nt so steep then many would just not turn up.

However, I don't support entirely what the sites are doing and this sort of charging does'nt help when many people just want to go away at the drop of a hat or they have a problem with their van that stops the trip.

Can you get the site owner to provide some cancellation insurance then he will get his pitch fees and the caravanner will get a proportion of their deposit returned?

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
In the past I've had to pay more deposit and then the balance for a three + week stay at French sites about six weeks before the holiday.

Can't see that its really a problem.

We stick with the caravan club, & this is one of the reasons. They don't take a deposit making the planning for a tour much easier. All they ask is that you let them know if you are not arriving.

I think the prices some of these private sites charge is well over the top.

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Margaret, The reason that private sites take a deposit is that they usually only have 1 site and if people did to them what they do to the caravan club then they would be out of business.

Vic

Deposits are a good way of ensuring that the sites keep going. If you got holiday insurance and you cant turn up for a valid reason then the insurance will pay up. If its not a valid reason then tuff

If the caravan club took deposits then you would find that the popular sites wouldnt be booked up every w/e by the same people who might go away!! but alot of the time got a few pitches spare.

Kevin H

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts