Site near Dover Ferry port?

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

This July, I will be travelling with my family from Glasgow to Dover and need to find a site to overnight stop. My check-in is 1000am so needs to be close, with young kids in tow. Is it possible to stay in the port itself overnight?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated,

Many thanks,

james e

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Try this Site we have stayed there a few times nice and quiet 5 mins from port and a good low cost site.

Rosemount

Mrs M Keyser

Rosemount

Church Whitfield

Dover

CT16 3HZ

England

Telephone - 01304 821588

WebSite - www.rosemountcl.co.uk

Kevin

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you are a member of the Caravan Club, Blackhorse Farm is handy for Dover. Just to warn you that there will be a lot of disruption in the Port of Dover in the first half of the year. So it might be better to approach from the A2 rather than the M20.

David

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
I would also recommend Black Horse Farm - we always travel down late the night before as you miss the traffic on the M25. The

area at Black Horse Farm for one night ferry stops is floodlit so even if you get there very late you can clearly see what you are doing and everyone using that area is in the same boat (pardon the pun). I would suggest it is then only 15 - 20 mins from Dover.

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
I would also recommend Black Horse Farm - we always travel down late the night before as you miss the traffic on the M25. The

area at Black Horse Farm for one night ferry stops is floodlit so even if you get there very late you can clearly see what you are doing and everyone using that area is in the same boat (pardon the pun). I would suggest it is then only 15 - 20 mins from Dover.
Thanks for the reply's,

I'll make some enquiries and get myself sorted. Lots to plan when going abroad!

Thanks again.

Sep 23, 2006
Visit site
James,

A good possibility for you would be Hawthorne Farm at Martin Mill, which is only about 10 minutes from the port.

We have used it several times, not only for an early getaway to the Ferry, but also for weekend stays.

Good choice of pitches, there is a railway line behind the site, but I don't think the trains run too late into the night.

Sep 23, 2006
Visit site
James,

A good possibility for you would be Hawthorne Farm at Martin Mill, which is only about 10 minutes from the port.

We have used it several times, not only for an early getaway to the Ferry, but also for weekend stays.

Good choice of pitches, there is a railway line behind the site, but I don't think the trains run too late into the night.
ps I don't think that you can pitch overnight in the port itself.

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi James

I think you can stop overnight on the docks. A phone call to the Port itself will probably give you the answer. 0871 222 8642. Otherwise Blackhorse Farm is handy and takes about 15 mins if I remember properly.

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
James

If you are a member of the Caravan Club there is a brilliant CL about 3 miles out of Dover on the A2 at Whitfield. This is Singledge Farm on Singledge Lane, immediately before Whitfield roundabout and owned by a Miss Broadley.

The site is very flat and spacious, I guess, about 1 acre in size. There is electric but no showers etc. There is a 24 hour Tesco supermarket less than 5 minutes away for all the last minute things and a good pub for meals just down the road towards Dover. The Duke of York I think.

It is a very popular CL so you should book well in advance, (we booked early January for June). Because most who use it are going to or coming from the ferry there is movement sometimes all through the night but because of the size of the site it is not much of a disturbance.

Having stayed on various docks I don't recommend it if you want a good nights sleep.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you are a member of the Caravan Club, Blackhorse Farm is handy for Dover. Just to warn you that there will be a lot of disruption in the Port of Dover in the first half of the year. So it might be better to approach from the A2 rather than the M20.

David
Hi David

We are departing from Dover during Easter and wonder what the disruption that you refer to is all about.

Thanks

Al

MAM

Aug 16, 2006
Visit site
We've stayed in Marine Parade over night a few times. We just park up along with 40 or so other vans and campers, drop the rear steadies and get our heads down. We usually arrive around 11pm and go for an early boat.

We stayed at Black House Farm once. What a pain - we had to unhitch and then re-hitch in the morning. Arrived at midnight, left at 06:00 -

Sep 23, 2006
Visit site
Big Al,

The Highways Agency is carrying out a major resurfacing of all of the A20 through Dover, starting next week and lasting about 3 months.

From what I understand of it (and I live in North Kent) I believe that if you approach Dover from the M2/A2 and NOT the M20/A20 you should miss the roadworks but may be worth checking with the Ministry website first.

While the last few miles of the A2 is not dualled, it does run straight down into the docks without having to worry about going through the suburbs of Dover itself.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Big Al,

The Highways Agency is carrying out a major resurfacing of all of the A20 through Dover, starting next week and lasting about 3 months.

From what I understand of it (and I live in North Kent) I believe that if you approach Dover from the M2/A2 and NOT the M20/A20 you should miss the roadworks but may be worth checking with the Ministry website first.

While the last few miles of the A2 is not dualled, it does run straight down into the docks without having to worry about going through the suburbs of Dover itself.
Thanks John.

Al

Feb 2, 2007
Visit site
hI james

I went last year but my ferry was 2 am and there's nowhere in the port you can stop - just the esplanade along the shore. Are you going to France, cos I'm looking for recommendations? I did Normandy last year, and was very nice despite atrocious weather.

MAM

Aug 16, 2006
Visit site
Hi Charles,

Marine Parade runs parallel to the main road through Dover, between the main road and the sea. There's a roundabout of the main road that takes you over a small bridge and then a quick left. Last time I was there I parked up along with about 30 other caravans along the side of the road. It takes less than 5 minutes to get from thee to the port

And I'll be there this Friday on my way to Disneyland!

MAM

Aug 16, 2006
Visit site
Hi Charles,

Marine Parade runs parallel to the main road through Dover, between the main road and the sea. There's a roundabout of the main road that takes you over a small bridge and then a quick left. Last time I was there I parked up along with about 30 other caravans along the side of the road. It takes less than 5 minutes to get from thee to the port

And I'll be there this Friday on my way to Disneyland!
Try this...

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=632250&y=141250&z=1&sv=632250,141250&st=4&ar=N&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf&dn=782&ax=631500&ay=141500

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi James

We travel to Dover from Merseyside so have quite a long journey too, although not as long as yours. The CC announced in their current club mag that people will no longer be able to arrive at Blackhorse Farm after 8.00pm - even for the late arrivals/early departures area.

We tend to aim travel around the M25 anti-clockwise, we go south on M40 as that is quieter than than the M6/M1. We use the M6 toll around B'ham as that is always quiet. We try to get to the M25 outside the rush hours. In both 2006 and 2007 we were delayed on the M25 and so we stopped at Maidstone Services overnight. They have seperate caravan parking spaces for c

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi, again, James

I should have mentioned we are both teachers and so we travel at peak times in July and August as you are. Little Satmar did have a play area and plenty of place for your kids to run around safely.

Tim

Jan 23, 2008
Visit site
Black Horse Farm Caravan Site. Phone: 01303 892665. This is a Caravan Club Site and only 15 minutes from the Port. Excellent site and very friendly manager

Oct 9, 2006
Visit site
Have you thought about catching the ferry as soon as you hit dover then spending the night in calais port, a lot of people do and we have never had any problems.

MAM

Aug 16, 2006
Visit site
I used Marine Parade again a few weeks ago. Plenty of other caravans there but also enough space. As I carried one of the sleeping children from the car to the caravan, a police car went past me - and gave me a freindly wave before driving off. In the morning, it took less than 5 minutes to get to the port so it's much easier than any nearby site. I'll be doing the same at the docks in Harwich in a few weeks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts