Site water fed into Water Barrel or directly into Caravan?

Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
Hi folks,

What is the general view of taking the sites water tap and feeding it either directly into the caravan or into a water barrel with a float valve?

I must admit, we tried the float valve for the first time when last on site, and the water flowed through our van taps very consistently.

Also using the float valve technique, I presume this is safer if there’s sudden high water pressure surge.

If you have a leak in the caravan, either way it’s not going to stop the water, which will keep feeding in on both of the above.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
You will find divided opinion on this. We used a direct feed for years with no problem. However, we did have a small leak into the van on one occasion ( probably NOT caused by the direct feed-the van was a lemon). Couldn’t repair when we were away so had to keep turning on and off at the site tap whenever we wanted water. ( various puppy pads soaking up the leak). If we had a float we could have just turned the pump off in the van. This and the reduced flow you get wit direct flow sent us back to the float. We use a Colapz fresh mini instead f an aquaroll.
You pays your money and takes your choice. Direct feed means not having to take an aquaroll and it is plug and play; but there are some drawbacks.
Mel

Apr 19, 2023
Visit site
We use the float in the aquarol. My main reason is occasionally we use sites that are not fully serviced so we need an aquarol for these. As others have said it's just what works for you. I'm generally cautious and would be concerned about a leak in the van if I went for the direct feed. Whatever I'm using I normally turn the water off at the external tap, and the pump, overnight and when we go out.

Reactions: Saxo Appeal
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There are a number of different makes of direct to caravan hose systems.

It's important to understand that like the strength of a chain is only as good as its weakest link, the max water pressure a caravan can manage is limited by the maximum pressure of its weakest item. That is usually 1.5 Bar for the cold water entering the water heater. This allows for the increase in water pressure caused by heating water.

Mains water pressure can easily reach 6Bar. occasionally you can get extra high pressure pulses of pressure due to some types of valves closing on the feed. For that reason all direct hose solutions must include a water pressure regulator. This is not a simple valve it is a clever real pressure regulator.

There will be thousands of caravanners who have used these without problems, but there are a few where the pressure regulator has failed in use, and the caravan has been fed with normal mains pressure, and significant damage has occured.

The use of afloat valve and external tank (e.g. Aquaroll) eliminates any possibility of mains water pressure reaching the caravan.

However there are two other issues which using an float valve and tank can eliminate. There have been many comments over the years that the volume of water you can get through some of the pressure regulators is not as good as using the caravans pump. This can affect showers. Again using the float valve and tank means your going to get the performance of caravan pump, and your not affected by the Pressure Regulators through put limits.

And the last point, is if the caravan sites supply is over stretched at peak times with so many caravans taking water at the same time, you may find the reduced flow rate affects you. Again the use of a tank and float valve eliminates this limitation.

In favour of the direct hose, you have less water standing around which might be a problem in hot weather.

Just to be clear I used to work in the industry, and having seen a number of caravans where there has been a major problem, I personally do not recommend the use of a direct hose simply to eliminate any possibility of the negative issues above.

But its up to you.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I have used both. must admit felt uneasy when using direct connection. Use float valve now. Or as it used to be call " Ballcock"

Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
Thanks all

We are heading out for our 2nd last trip this week before storage.

Looking forward to getting away again, and will continue using the float valve solution

Reactions: DaveA1
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
When we had our caravan we always use the float in the Aquarol like what some else i did not feel at ease with the direct connection but its what you prefer that matters .

Apr 13, 2021
Visit site
We use the float in the aquarol. My main reason is occasionally we use sites that are not fully serviced so we need an aquarol for these. As others have said it's just what works for you. I'm generally cautious and would be concerned about a leak in the van if I went for the direct feed. Whatever I'm using I normally turn the water off at the external tap, and the pump, overnight and when we go out.
Exactly my reasoning also!
We take the aquarol and wastemaster and the hose and float valve are in a bag in the corner of the front locker.
I think that this covers us pretty much for most situations

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I've used both - the direct connection has a pressure limiter which reduces the flow at the taps, compared to using the barrel with a submersible pump - so now I never use the direct connection but use the hose to top-up the barrel each morning, hardly a chore.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
That's a handy bit of kit if you normally use serviced pitches.
It is useful, especially if space is at a premium. It is a bit of a fiddly so and so though. The lid doesn’t clip on, so easy to dislodge and the weight of the hose makes it unstable when setting up. However, once it is set up, it works very well. Would almost certainly freeze up very quickly during very cold spells.
Have to say that we are a sucker for gadgets. They probably saw us coming 😀
Mel

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I fully endorse the Profs last post.

I have both but haven’t used the direct system for years.

Taking Prof’s post a step further my system uses an onboard pump which operates no matter which method of water feed is used.

Frankly my old girl is getting on and her joints are aching. Why overload her ? Aquaroll mains fed via the ballcock system sits very comfortably with me.

Reactions: Saxo Appeal

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts