sites Barmouth - Blaenau Ffestiniog area

Jun 25, 2005
Visit site
Hi

Thinking about sites for next year for long weekends/ week in school hols which are reasonable to drive from Shropshire. The driving distance from home to the area is ok. I caravanned many years ago as a child in the area and would like to show my own family that lovely part of Wales, easier now we live in Shropshire

Cc site near Blaenau Ffestiniog sounds interesting, have read somewhere about narrow access road, we have a 6 berth single axil caravan. Any comments appreciated.

Hendre Mynach near Barmouth, have driven past. My sister camped with her family earlier this year, says the enterance/exit is at the top of a steep hill, not an issue going in but what about exit as I know the coast road can get busy. We have stopped at cc Freshwater East in the past with the steep hill but it doesn't join a busy coast road. Any comments appreciated.

Any other comments about other sites in the area appreciated. Experienced in Cc sites but are open to others, needs a toilet block and electric hook up.

Thanks in advance

Annette

Mar 15, 2006
Visit site
Hi Annette

We have stayed in Hendre Mynach very nice site and toilet block very good, closest site to Barmouth. Yes it does have a steep entrance but if I remember right it levels up more at the top before you get on the road .

Came down through Blaenau from Llandudno on Wednesday nice new road into Blaenau, roads around the town can be very narrow with cars parked on the main road outside their houses making perhaps the route a little difficult.

I agree with you views in this Part of Wales is fabulous, I was up there working first weekend in October, on a Charity walk which takes place same time each year.

The worse bend I think is the road going over the mountain heading back down to South Wales the A489 is a steep hill and an air pin bend at the top, this road is running parrel with Dolgellau I don't think you being using this road though unless you go site seeing.

Dec 23, 2006
Visit site
Annette,

I live next to Portmeirion/Porthmadog and often visit the Caravan Club site, Coed-y-LLwyn, in the book under Ffestiniog.

In fact i stayed on the site for 3 weeks while i had a new kitchen and bathroom fitted.

It is an excellent site with modern C.C. toilet block, large level hard standings and some grass pitches. Good position for visiting Snowdonia and the North or West coasts.

I tow our twin axle on a regular basis into England and back.

I always use the same route with no problems whatsoever.

From Shropshire M54,A5 to Corwen,then to Bala, then A4212 to Trawsfynydd, then about 3 miles to site.

Good roads to tow on and easy access to site which is about 400 yards from main road.

Hamer

Jun 25, 2005
Visit site
Annette,

I live next to Portmeirion/Porthmadog and often visit the Caravan Club site, Coed-y-LLwyn, in the book under Ffestiniog.

In fact i stayed on the site for 3 weeks while i had a new kitchen and bathroom fitted.

It is an excellent site with modern C.C. toilet block, large level hard standings and some grass pitches. Good position for visiting Snowdonia and the North or West coasts.

I tow our twin axle on a regular basis into England and back.

I always use the same route with no problems whatsoever.

From Shropshire M54,A5 to Corwen,then to Bala, then A4212 to Trawsfynydd, then about 3 miles to site.

Good roads to tow on and easy access to site which is about 400 yards from main road.

Hamer
Thanks. guess what I'll be doing on 3 Dec when the cc advanced booking opens!!

Jul 10, 2007
Visit site
Hello Annette,We stayed at Riverside Camping at Betws y Coed last July, it has new owners and they have spent 4 million upgrading the Site.It is in a stunning location and within walking distance of the village with lovely shops and the Royal Oak serves excellent food.The approach road/lane is quite narrow.The train from Llandudno to Blaenau Ffestiniog passes by the site hourly and the noise is a little startling at first but you get used to it.

Nov 23, 2008
Visit site
hi annette we went to hendre mynach when our 2 eldest were small and did get stuck on half way up the hill on leaving due to heavy rain but the owners towed the car and the caravan out phone and check that they can still do this as my eldest loved it son doesn't remember and from what I gather its not changed much still a great site had a look 4 years ago when we were in the area only a 10 minute walk into Barmouth as well and just over the railway tracks to the beach

Mar 15, 2006
Visit site
Hi Jo

The same happened to us on the hill, we put it down to the wanting new tyres, they also pull us off the hill, this was also in the rain.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts