Sites Feeling the pinch !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I think this year the caravan site will see the affect of the recession more than ever. With the cost of fuel spiralling out of control and general houshold weekly costs doing simlar, people will have less and less to spend on the few luxuries they endulge in.

My summer site is very noticeably bleak this year. Normally there would be a procession of about 6-8 vans on the 1st and a good dozen more at the first weekend all taking up seasonal pitches, followed by a steady flow over the month giving about 24 vans on seasonal pitches. But to date there are just 8 of us. The site did increase the seasonal fee by 8% but that was to be expected given that the fee had stayed stable for the last two years. The prime spot of the first row has 80% of pitches vacant. That doesn't bode too well for the wardens as there has been a steadily increasing departure rate since they took over. To cap it all, three regular seasonals who all go together have pulled out causing a near 5K drop in income in one hit. They had been here since the year dot and had the same pitches reserved for them. They even asked for three specific pitches to be allocated to them for this year but now they have pulled out.

I was told by one of our friends that up in the north west one popular site of statics and tourers had already halved their site fees to try to attract custom.

When I was at the NEC, I thought that was a poor show for sales and a poor level of show stands. Which to me seemed to indicate the future this year.

With VAT, Fuel and a lack of wage increases there seems to be a little black rain cloud looming over the holiday plans this year.

Sorry to sound so negative, but it's just the way I see the outlook from where I am.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Steve
I think you may be right.
I'm taking my old mum away for a two week break in May. The site has a special offer 7 for the price of 5 nights. £120 for the two weeks. Two years ago we paid nearly double that. So they too are introducing loss leaders. It's down in Cornwall but I'm keeping it to myself for now.It even has an indoor swimming pool!
We've no problem booking anywhere else so far although we have nothing planned for august. I noticed a lot of seasonals at Carnon Downs this Christmas so maybe it might be a location thing??
Conversley you will know poor old Phil Spadders can't get onto Chatsworth!
smiley-laughing.gif

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
steveinleo said:
Doh. Spot the typo!!! Should read Sites Feeling the pinch

Sorted!
I have a feeling that our C&CC local district association rallies are about to become more popular, over 60 units attended or agm meet a couple of weeks back.
Certified sites and CC certified locations could also benefit if they keep their price structure at sensible levels.
A friend of mine who still uses our old seasonal site told me that although their pitch fees have stayed the same this year in spite of site improvements, their electricity is going to be metered and charged as an extra.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Last week we had a mid week break at the CC site in Moreton in Marsh and I would say the the site was more than half full all the time we were there which I thought was quite good for the first week in March. Perhaps the problem with seasonal pitches is that people have to pay a large fee up front and in these uncertain times more people are reluctant to do that. If campsite want to attract custom they need to invest in all weather pitches of a good size an improve other facilities. If they do that the customers will follow. I appreciate that Caravan Club sites might not be everyones cup of tea but part of their popularity is the standard they achieve so it would follow that if commercial sites match or go beyond that quality they will be successful, especially if they keep fees reasonable.
David

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Dustydog said:
I'm taking my old mum away for a two week break in May. The site has a special offer 7 for the price of 5 nights. £120 for the two weeks. It's down in Cornwall but I'm keeping it to myself for now.It even has an indoor swimming pool!

smiley-laughing.gif

Probably the same place as we're going
smiley-smile.gif

We are going for two weeks in May. We told some friends about this place and they have booked the week before we arrive. By coincidence they were given the same pitch as we chose.
Because we know the site, having called there last year for a brochure and like the area, we have booked another two weeks in late September
smiley-smile.gif

Regarding poor old Spadders I'm determined to get him a pitch at Chatsworth even if it means we have to go and squat there
smiley-laughing.gif

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Lord Braykewynde said:
Dustydog said:
I'm taking my old mum away for a two week break in May. The site has a special offer 7 for the price of 5 nights. £120 for the two weeks. It's down in Cornwall but I'm keeping it to myself for now.It even has an indoor swimming pool!

smiley-laughing.gif

Probably the same place as we're going
smiley-smile.gif

We are going for two weeks in May. We told some friends about this place and they have booked the week before we arrive. By coincidence they were given the same pitch as we chose.
Because we know the site, having called there last year for a brochure and like the area, we have booked another two weeks in late September
smiley-smile.gif

Regarding poor old Spadders I'm determined to get him a pitch at Chatsworth even if it means we have to go and squat there
smiley-laughing.gif
I booked this for her last October jus to give her something to look forward to . Too good to miss and after last years tour with mum I thought I'd have a rest! One site for a whole two weeks! SWMBO has the last laugh because I've volunteered to take the two dogs as well. They know the site well and all the dog walks and hostelries.
If it is the same site just look out for an old dog with loads of poo bags. That's me.
smiley-laughing.gif
.The other two look like perfectly beautiful well groomed intelligent Springers.They never mess on their own doorstep
smiley-cool.gif

Time for Jo-Anne to get Spadders his Chatsworth pitch

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Mixed feelings on this one, I am up in the East midlands and the site we use has seen brisk trade so far this year, we were there last w/e and the site must have been 75% full, but I would agree with S in L if fuel prices continue to rise as they are doing at present, then we could be looking at a very gloomy season ahead

But looking back over the years when I first started with my old sprite, Easter was the take of point, with winter caravaning almost unheard of, but then again with glass windows, very little insulation if any, and you can understand why!

So Phil just might get his slot at Chats worth, but it could turn out a tad expensive if we see fuel pass £2 ltr, Horse n cart any one.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
We are considering going seasonal and are looking at Townsend in Pembridge as they have fully serviced pitches. Slimbridge woudl also be nice but they have a long waiting list. The main problem is paying the fee up front. Would not be so bad if it as split into three payments but I don't suppose any of them do this.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Townsend is in the next village to me. It is a very nice site and probably a suitable price list to match. Where I am, my fee equates to £42-50 p/wk plus metered electric currently 10p per unit. I have a gravel hard standing for the van,awning and car. The toilet block is just over 2 years old so is in good order. This year for the first time, they have done a monthly breakdown of the seasonal fee's. They normally accept two equal payments. Obviously for all the right reasons I can't advertise the park as such.

I do think that if the current gov carries on stripping every public service the way they are, there won't be anything left for us to enjoy. But of coarse they'll still be bleeting "Blame the other party"!

I once was a supervisor in a triple shift factory where blame culture was rampant. I hated every minuit. We had weekly supervisors meetings and everytime there was trouble the supervisors always proclaimed it was "the other shift"! I caught them falsefying quality reports. You see, they changed the computer time to suit and used my teams print outs thus saving over an hour per shift of inspection time lost. That in turn drove up the Overall Equipment Effectiveness rating to 95%. Having the proof in hand for the next meeting, I invited the MD to attend. I then proceeded to explain that no two chassis frames would measure the same at 10pm as they do at 2pm as there are atmospheric differences out on the shop floor. I also had the endorsement of the chief quality engineer.
So guess who got some added paperwork in the form of two final written warnings. You see the chassis frames were Lotus car frames.

Funny how blame culture stopped that say and people became responsable for their own actions.
You can only blame the other team for so long.

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Current fuel costs have to impact on many caravanners, I'm sure that sites will lose business.
Some site owners may see sense and reduce site fees to attract customers
smiley-smile.gif

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
its a good job i have a sense of humour but if you continue to make posts regarding my wish to go to chatsworth when i choose thenmy sense of humour and my general goodwill towards others will very quickly dissipate so its time to stop.
I have genuuine desite to attend Chatsworth as its one of my closest CC sites but simply can not get on , probably due to all the pensioners booking the pitches months in advance on one day of and then booking ONE night only.
Any smart and clever comments and i will expect the moderators to step in an censure any poster who continually pokes fun at someone else, all the while feeling safe and secure sat in front of their pc monitors.... you never know , we may meet one day.....
smiley-wink.gif

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Philspadders said:
its a good job i have a sense of humour but if you continue to make posts regarding my wish to go to chatsworth when i choose thenmy sense of humour and my general goodwill towards others will very quickly dissipate so its time to stop.
I have genuuine desite to attend Chatsworth as its one of my closest CC sites but simply can not get on , probably due to all the pensioners booking the pitches months in advance on one day of and then booking ONE night only.
Any smart and clever comments and i will expect the moderators to step in an censure any poster who continually pokes fun at someone else, all the while feeling safe and secure sat in front of their pc monitors.... you never know , we may meet one day.....
smiley-wink.gif

Now now Spadders old bean, that's not the way to treat fellow vanners trying to help you out or even go as far as breaking the law by squatting. And making veiled threats
smiley-surprised.gif
smiley-cry.gif

Now where was I? Oh yes, who is it that keeps resurrecting Chatsworth
smiley-laughing.gif

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
Spadders........" probably due to all the pensioners booking the pitches months in advance on one day of and then booking ONE night only."
Its seems you should practice what you preach regarding people making comments you dont like................stop whinging and get on with life. Chatsworth IS nice but there are better sites......by the way we are there in July and I will think of you Hee Hee

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
there are still some bargains to be had , Dolbryn near Newcastle Emlyn in west Wales are only charging £8 per night including electric for the whole of March , and from the 4th April till the 8th for the over 55s you can have 4 nights with electric for £13,50 thats a real bargain at £3.37 per night plus free fishing , go to www.dolbryn.co.uk

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site
we had our van on a swasonal pitch we were there 2yrs but the fees went up £400 in the last yr so we have moved site, in the time we were there there were a good 25-30 seasonals and from what im being told there are around 3 left so i expect the site to be very quiet this yr, we noticed a big difference this summer compared to the previous summer in the amount of people staying there, the site catered for seasonal tourers and tents.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
We are pensioners and can't get on either fo the three CC sites on a weekend and these sites are all within an hour's drive of our residence. Due to former rassociations with the name Chatsworth, the name Chatsworth alone is enough to put us off the site!

May 21, 2008
Visit site
On our site three quarters of last years seasonals are missing. The site looks bleak. We've only had one new seasonal visitor. I can see that many more will be using cc and c&cc 5 van sites this year thus making it difficult for others to enjoy them. Of coarse there's mid week for retiree's but that may not suit all.
Hopefully we will see more seasonals in April. They could be shaving a month off the price increase to offset it. If that's not the case "there could be trouble ahead" for the site if it can't attract more visitors. Last year saw it go adults only and with that a significant drop in families. Also european tourists were not prevelent either. Now this year seasonals are depleted. That's a very black rain cloud over the horizon.
To cap it all petrol prices are going higher and higher. When fuel hit £1 a litre, motorists protested and held the government to account. But this time there's no solidarity in the ranks and all people seem to want to do is save fuel and ****** the cost.

Ok to some extent I've done that too, by changing from petrol to diesel but on a fixed national income, I have to watch the pennies. But it hasn't stopped me protesting on fair fuel tax and displaying my own fuel protest and driving at no more than 55Mph to make a point. but as 1 in millions, I've no chance of making a stand and getting change.

I hope that next week the chancellor see's sence and lowers Vat and general fuel tax on fuel. If not, we could all be on shanks's pony soon.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I hope that next week the chancellor see's sence and lowers Vat and general fuel tax on fuel. If not, we could all be on shanks's pony soon.
Ever the optimist Steve
smiley-wink.gif

Tax on fuel fags and alcohol will never be reduced by whichever government is in power.
I fully agree driving more slowly does save some money but as you know" dawdlers" upset others on here who prefer 80mph
smiley-laughing.gif

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I'd have thought that with the rising cost of fuel seasonal pitches would have been at a premium now.
I had a seasonal pitch for a few years when I was not very well and we'd just cruise down with nothing to tow and nothing to set up when we arrived. It was like having a static caravan but without the expense involved.
I prefer touring of course and now that my health has improved we venture out as often as possible. The horrendous price of diesel just means that we don't go so far away. If the price of fuel reaches a level which would prevent us from touring then we'd go back to a seasonal pitch to allow us to continue to enjoy our caravan.

Blockading fuel depots and motorway go- slows only hurt fellow motorists and essential services and the only thing that affects expenses cushioned politicians will be something that threatens to throw them from the gravy train.

http://www.fairfueluk.com/documents/fueltax.html
If enough of us join the campaign and make our elected representatives aware of the strength of feeling it might just send a cold shudder amongst the cosseted free-loading expense junkie MP's

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts