Sites for dogs

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
At Practical Caravan, we recently had the following letter from a reader asking for more information about sites with dog walks. What does anyone else think? The reader wrote the following: "We would be interested to know how dog owners locate sites with dog walks for their pets. We are soon to purchase our first tourer and, in due course, we'll offer some very lucky 'rescue' greyhound

a peaceful home and some luxurious and happy holidays with us.

We were excited when we realised that some sites offered dedicated dog walks. Since then, we have eagerly scoured the sites guides to find out which ones have this facility. We were surprised and disappointed, therefore, to find that none of the guides we've seen have an organised approach to providing this information; in fact, most offer no information at all.

Assuming that caravanners with dogs would prefer sites with dog walks, it seems odd to us that information on this subject is presented so vaguely. What

a wasted opportunity.

It would be useful if the familiar dog symbol were adopted more widely, and developed to incorporated a 'W' within it to denote an on-site or nearby dog walk. Such a symbol might help ensure that campsite owners do

not overlook the value of including dog walks in their lists of facilities, as they so often do.

Furthermore, it would allow those who are not dog lovers to make an informed choice; they might well prefer to avoid those sites that are more geared up towards dog owners.

Andrea Burdett and Tina Rowles

North Walsham, Norfolk

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We are in exactly the same position, new van and no experience of sites. We are having our first trip in mid March and have settled on Clumber CC site due to its good walks,recommended on the forum,and being Dog friendly. Articles on this kind of site would be most welcome in the future.

Regards Brian

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi Alex. We have been caravinning for over twenty years and as you have noticed trying to find a site that openly advertises that it is dog friendly or has local walks near by to excersise dogs is a real problem. We experince even more frustration as we often caravan as a family group with upto five caravans in our party. We need to find sites that are Disabled/Wheel chair friendly, good play facilities for yougsters, sites that will book us all on pitches next to/near each other,and finally dog friendly. We have two labradors who act as befrienders to my wifes disabled parents who always come with us. The rest of the family troop all muck in to set up and run Ron & Ann's van as they can do the only the lightest of tasks. Last year we found a park in Scotland that covered all our needs (Linwater, just outside Edinburgh), it was like an oasis in the desert to us after 1100 miles of touring sites that were booked months in advance with all the needs and wants supposedly catered for. It was just a pitty it is 500 miles from home. The site owner was most helpful, if a little bemused to see how we go about setting up five vans at the same time. you see we start with mum& dad, who then can do their bit by plying us with tea and cakes while one by one all of us (8 adults & 6 kids)swarm round each van putting it together in about 15 mins for each van , awnings and all. It's a bit like "chipperfield's circus", but we all have fun, and I'm sure the rest of the site enjoy watching. I scan literally hundreds of web sites evrey year looking for caravan sites to cater for all our needs and it is very rare to find any that will make it obvious that they cater/allow dogs at all. This then result's in me having to make neumerous phone calls to ask the simple question (I'm the planner in our group). Maybe the site owners could instigate a star rating for dog friendlyness. One star for we allow dogs on site, to say four star's for, we cater for all your dogs needs (dog run/walk, vet nearby, dog friendly beaches, etc). As you can tell we are dedicated dog lovers and also caravanners, who are also quite ready to help others to enjoy a wonderful pastime of caravanning and enjoying the countryside.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
The problem with emailing is that in a lot of cases you do not receive a prompt reply and that is if you receive a reply at all. I heartily agre that in addition to the dog symbol there should be a symbol for a dog walk. We have been on sites that allow dogs but no dog walk so you have to walk around the campsite waiting for the pooper drooper to do something before you can pick it up. Invariably this is right outside someones window and probbaly while they are having breakfast. Other sites change you up to

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Since our last dog died a year ago, we have been dogless, but we never resented paying extra for a dog, for the reasons stated - dog walks, disposal facilities etc cost money and we were happy to meet those costs.

Doggy showers are not such a fanciful idea - last year we stayed in France at 'Le Paradis' in the Dordogne, and they provided exactly that. It was located on the outside of the main sanitary block and seemed much appreciated! There was no extra charge for this, but I believe dogs were charged for at a rate of 1 Euro per night, which doesn't sound excessive to me.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Alex - Have found The Caravan Club to be very good for dogs - most have a dog walk or at least state if the dog walk is nearby. They do have rules i.e. dogs must be under control or tied up if outside caravan on grass which applies to all visiting members and the rule works well. Happy hols.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Yes, it is a problem. Both the Caravan Club and Camping and Caravanning Club do state if they have a dog walk. However, this might just be a path with hedges either side. At other sites there is a large area of grass enclosed with a fence to let the dog run. Perhaps looking at an OS map might help when choosing a site - you will be able to see where the site is and if there are any open spaces nearby and, if you are lucky there will also be the dog walk as well. Both Chertsey (CCC) and Worthing (CC) have the path type walk and in the case of Chertsey, a walk along the River Thames to Shepperton Lock just over the bridge from the site and in the case of Worthing a public footpath near the site up to the top of the hills. Brighton (CC) has a large area of grass just outside the site gates. Stopped off at Weston Supermare (CC/CCC?) site on the way to the PC rally and this has a fenced area of grass. Graffham (CCC) site in Sussex is situated in a forest and is excellent for dogs. I am aware that there are those who do and those who do not like dogs on site. However, this needs to be taken into context - there are those people who have children who run riot. My experience is that the large majority of dog owners are responsible and do not allow their dogs to foul the site, and on the odd occassion when dogs do have a mishap clear up after them. Dogs also enjoy the experience of 'going away'. Our current dog does not get as excited as our previous one, who would get very excited when, the day before leaving, we started to load up the van - and we normally go away every other weekend. On the day of leaving he would be such a nuisance that we would put him in the car so that he knew he was going. On the return he would refuse to get out of the car and when eventually coaxed / pulled out would leap into the caravan if it was still open.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We always have a dog with us on our travels - and to be honest I'm a little bemused at what people are expecting the sites to be able to do for them? Effectively any site offering a 'dog walk' is really just providing a facility for the necessary 'comfort breaks', and its not very realistic to think that this could ever be much more than that. Providing sites make it clear that dogs are allowed, with the usual provisos on control etc, I regard it as the owners responsibility to choose an area where the opportunities for dog-friendly walking will be plentiful - outside the sites boundaries. I don't expect to do my sightseeing & shopping etc all within the confines of the site either...! It is true though that we dog-owners are a significant proportion of site-users, and the site operators DO need to be aware that being 'dog friendly', and providing some basic facilities at least, does matter. Richard.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi alex we no wat u mean weve got two boxers but yes mate happness at last found a lovly site take a look at www.stowford.co.uk what a lovly site dogs can have a pint to lol lol

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We checked on the www the facilities available in Sidari Corfu when my son and his girlfriend booked a holiday there last year. The info from other travellers/holiday makers on best beaches, resturants, night clubs etc. was proved accurate and most usfull.

If forums such as these are available for the package holidays, surely we can organise something similar for campsites in the UK.

I have read on this forum about ordinary people having problems with officious wardens/site owners, poor facilities not as advertised and even one guy who was refused entry onto one site because he and his family were in a Land Rover 90. apparently the fact that the warden did not like Land Rovers was grounds for refusal! No refund of deposit just a flat refusal.

Believe me there is nothing more powerful than the informed consumer. With caravaning becoming ever more popular are we to accept poor service or be more selective?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Locating sites with good dog walks is a trial and error process. We use the Web to view sites and we try to identify how much of a priority dog-acceptance and dog-walks feature on their website as this gives at least some some indication of what we might find when we arrive on site. If we plan to visit a new site who levy a charge for dogs, I always email the site and ask them to explain exactly what I will get for my money. In almost all cases, the simple answer is, nothing! Charges vary from 75p to

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Alex,

We have 2 rescue greyhounds and find the Caravan Club Site Handbook very useful for locating sites with dog walks. The walks do vary with some being an exercise field and others being paths. The best site we have been to so far for dogs is Bo Peep Farm near Banbury. They have several different walks around fields, along the river and through woods. Our two loved it! Hope your readers enjoy their greyhound.

Rose

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It's only a very few sites these days that don't have a website so its easy to contact the site by e-mail and ask them.

Vic
There are plenty of sites that take dogs and most sites cater for them at some level or another. I'm surprised that sites have'nt installed Dog Loos so that dogs can spend a penny every time they want to go, instead of using mine and other caravvaners outfits as they see fit. What amazes me is that most dog owners train their dogs not to mess in their own homes why not train them to do the same on other peoples property.

I have seen people on sites who take the dog to the dog walk and have a plastic bag over their hand to pick up the mess but return a while later with the same bag empty

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts