Sites not far from Calais

Mar 13, 2006
Visit site
Hello all , I am looking at going over to France for next years holiday,i live in the northeast of England and would probably travel down to Dover and catch the ferry across to Calais.Once in France I dont want to be travelling to far because we have children aged 4 and 7.I wondered whether any of you could recommend any suitable sites for us within 2 hours of Calais ,preferably near to a nice beach . We usually use c.c sites so sites with similar standards would be appreciated.Is the weather in the Calais region generally good ?I look forward to your replys cheers Mike

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Just bringing this back to the top for you! Can recommend Chateau du Gandspette, which is near to Calais, but not near a beach - good on site facilities, nice (inexpensive restaurant), new shower block is great (in newer part of site), two pools, supermarket within 500 metres, but unfortunately not near to a beach.

Aug 30, 2006
Visit site
Hello Michael.

My comment takes a step back from 'sites not far from Calais' to ask the question - why not consider Poole as your port of embarkation?

It is much easier to get to than Dover, it is much more civilised than Dover and there are some lovely sites in the vicinity should you wish to do an overnight stop prior to sailing.

'Though the ferry prices are obviously higher than Dover, what you need to take into account is the fact that, within minutes of leaving Cherbourg or St Malo, you are immediately in a lovely area of France which would cost a fair amount to reach from Calais and you haven't had an initial journey of several hours.

Hope this helps,

Olly.

Aug 29, 2007
Visit site
Hi Michael, I have read some good reports about Camping St. Louis at Ardres. It's about 20km south of Calais just off the N43, or is it the D943 now? Anyway, I am heading that way this weekend, and we intend to stay overnight on Saturday. I will keep you posted when we gat back on 24/09/07. Hope this helps, Peter.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Michael, I have read some good reports about Camping St. Louis at Ardres. It's about 20km south of Calais just off the N43, or is it the D943 now? Anyway, I am heading that way this weekend, and we intend to stay overnight on Saturday. I will keep you posted when we gat back on 24/09/07. Hope this helps, Peter.
St. Louis is great but small - at the height of the season book in advance.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
And its east-ish of Calais!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts