Skoda coolant cold

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Happened to look at thermostat after a fast run and was surprised it was showing zero. No warning light on either. Done visual check and could see nothing amiss. Went on Briskoda web site and it was mentioned the DSG box thermostat had problems ,plus airlocks ,pumps and all sorts of things. So went to my Skoda dealer and after three hours waiting they said its ready to pick up . I was dreading to think how much it was going to be. The fitter put it on the diagnostic m/c and found nothing wrong so bled the system and gave it a road test and it was back to normal temperature. So it came to the usual price of £60 for using said m/c.

Jul 8, 2020
Visit site
Happened to look at thermostat after a fast run and was surprised it was showing zero. No warning light on either. Done visual check and could see nothing amiss. Went on Briskoda web site and it was mentioned the DSG box thermostat had problems ,plus airlocks ,pumps and all sorts of things. So went to my Skoda dealer and after three hours waiting they said its ready to pick up . I was dreading to think how much it was going to be. The fitter put it on the diagnostic m/c and found nothing wrong so bled the system and gave it a road test and it was back to normal temperature. So it came to the usual price of £60 for using said m/c.
I always find this charge for Diagnostics laughable , yes the dealer diagnostics cost thousands upon thousands i understand but after all said and done its a tool required for the techs job just like a 10mm spanner . It's just another way to get money from us punters that have no choice at times . Moan over lol.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Sadly it’s the license + (I guess) a set minimum of X time, don’t forget a lot of main garages are over £100 + vat per hour
However by the same token I would think that the same software is applied to thousands of cars so the cost per car should be a lot lower. Probably well under £100 depending on the number of units sold.

Jun 6, 2006
Visit site
However by the same token I would think that the same software is applied to thousands of cars so the cost per car should be a lot lower. Probably well under £100 depending on the number of units sold.
An auto electrician friend (independent) I think charges £50 or £60 to plug in , I know he has just bought a new package that cost an awful lot of money

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
An auto electrician friend (independent) I think charges £50 or £60 to plug in , I know he has just bought a new package that cost an awful lot of money
By the same token if the cost is spread across a hundred or more cars, then the cost seems relevant.

Jun 6, 2006
Visit site
I still feel its a tool for his job and like many techs who spend crazy cash on mac tools , snap on etc its just a tool to them at the end if the day lol
Other than if you purchase a spanner, air tool, battery tool etc its a one off payment, unlike software that can be an annual subscription

May 10, 2020
Visit site
A zero reading temperature gauge is either
1) faulty sender
2) faulty gauge
3) the sender is sitting in an air pocket.

If it was an air lock around the sender then I would want to know why that situation arose. Cooling systems should vent off via the rad cap into the expansion bottle thus keeping the system full. I think I would do a little more investigating before I’d be happy.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
A zero reading temperature gauge is either
1) faulty sender
2) faulty gauge
3) the sender is sitting in an air pocket.

If it was an air lock around the sender then I would want to know why that situation arose. Cooling systems should vent off via the rad cap into the expansion bottle thus keeping the system full. I think I would do a little more investigating before I’d be happy.
Thought that in my post #4.

May 10, 2020
Visit site
Intresting replies to my thread,My car has now done 115k and never had that happen since new,are you getting me worried?.
No not trying to get you worried at all BUT a dicky cooling system can be a short cut to a blown head gasket. An air lock can and more likely to originate from the heater matrix. If your coolant level is consistent when cold then I wouldn’t worry too much. A tow car needs a properly functioning cooling system.
My best regards

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts