Skoda Octavia Estate 1.9tdi 4x4

Jun 13, 2005
Visit site
Hi Martyn,

I've got a touran with the same 105bhp engine as the Octavia. I haven't towed the van with it yet and have posted on a couple of forums to get some feedback regarding performance. I received the following post from another touran driver.I think the octavia will have similar performance to the touran with the 4 wheel drive being very useful when things get slippery.

Hi Andy.

We've got the VW Touran like you I think, and tow a magnificent Hobby 495 with it.

The hobby weighs 1350 when full, and 1150 when empty.

If you want to cruise at 70 mph, then change the car, but we can make it up to 60 quite easily, and have (where legal of course) tested the car on the way back to Calais last summer.

On my own, I get about 50 mpg, but add the wife and 2 kids, and we get about 45 mpg. (They are not that heavy, but I think I go to work slowly on my own)

With the hobby on the back, we get 30 if we are hurrying, and 35 if we are cruising. I'm not complaining!

The worst thing we found was the hill out of Dover on the A2 towards Canterbury.

It was a standing start at the bottom, and we only used first and second gears for ages

So, in summary, I think you'll be ok.

Regards,

Andy

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Martyn

My sources suggest that the 2005 4x4 Octavia has a maximum permitted tow load of 1400Kg. Your suggested caravan is rather close at 1350Kg! Technically it is less than 85% (1373) and on that basis should be satisfactory.

However, I don't have the figures for the max permitted Gross train weight for the car, I would be suspicious that you would easily exceed that legal figure with all the kit you end up putting in the car.

I strongly suggest you check very carefully all the figures for the car and make sure you can remain legal with a fully load caravan and the loaded car.

Oct 3, 2005
Visit site
we bought the new 4x4 for towing our new van (avondale dart 510) and I've just checked the towsafe figures that the dealer did for us.

Kerb weight 1615kg

Max Tow 1600kg

85 % 1372kg

Nose weight 60kg

Were new to caravanning and swapped a rav4 for the octavia which is proving to be some car for the money. Only towed a couple of times and it was great pulling in 6th at 50mph and having now problems on any of the hills we encountered. I'm using it currently for work and getting 48-50mpg and I'm also finding it quite brisk if you use the gears correctly. We went to clumber between Christmas and the New Year when it had snowed and the four wheel drive system dealt with all the ice and a bit of (minor) off roading with ease. If your worried about the power there is a company at Chesterfield that can squeeze an extra 40bhp out of the engine which I'm going to have done before we set off on our travels this summer. If you need to know anymore try the chaps on www.briskoda.net who are more than helpfull

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Joanne,

My source of information only lists one Octavia model with a 1600Kg towing cpacity - the 2005 2.0 TDi 140bhp DSG. The max tow weight for any of the 4x4 varieties is 1500Kg for the 2005 2.0 FSi 4x4, The figure for the diesel 4x4's is 1400Kg.

My source could be wrong, but I suggest you contact your Skoda dealer to confirm the specification of your model. It could be the difference between being legal and not!

Remember if you over-load a car your insurance is invalid.and you could be prosecuted for an unsafe vehicle.

Oct 3, 2005
Visit site
Hello Joanne,

My source of information only lists one Octavia model with a 1600Kg towing cpacity - the 2005 2.0 TDi 140bhp DSG. The max tow weight for any of the 4x4 varieties is 1500Kg for the 2005 2.0 FSi 4x4, The figure for the diesel 4x4's is 1400Kg.

My source could be wrong, but I suggest you contact your Skoda dealer to confirm the specification of your model. It could be the difference between being legal and not!

Remember if you over-load a car your insurance is invalid.and you could be prosecuted for an unsafe vehicle.
Just double checked on the techinal information in the handbook and the v5 both state maximum towing capicity is 1600kg. A lot of the information available is based on the old shape 4x4 as the new one only came out about 7 months ago.

Trust this helps

Oct 3, 2005
Visit site
06:33 PM Just double checked on the techinal information in the handbook and the v5 both state maximum towing capicity is 1600kg. A lot of the information available is based on the old shape 4x4 as the new one only came out about 7 months ago.

Trust this helps

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just double checked on the techinal information in the handbook and the v5 both state maximum towing capicity is 1600kg. A lot of the information available is based on the old shape 4x4 as the new one only came out about 7 months ago.

Trust this helps
Well done Joanne,

I have some suspicions about my source hence my guarded comment.

At 1600Kg ther is a good loading margin, and it should do quite well. As always it is important to load correctly to achieve the a well balance outfit.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts