skoda octavia estate

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
Anybody on here using a skodia octavia 4x4 estate to tow with ?.

I am looking at the new "scout" version which has favourable conditions weight and power wise for towing my coachman vip 530/4. the engine is the 2.0 tdi 140 with the 6 speed manual box.

Allso looking at the elegance estate as an alternative but i have not seen the cars weights yet so not sure if this one is suitable.

The skoda octavia is this years winner in the auto express driver power survey beating many rivals that cost substantially more so it appears to be a good bet, any reviews welcome.

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
I had a really good look at the Octavia Estate last year but wanted a VRS diesel, and they weren`t available in time, but looked a really good piece of kit and a handy size.

Eventually got a Passat TDI 140 Sport Estate which is great, but I would`t recomment because of the hateful electronic handbrake for which someone at VW should be shot.

Given my time again I would go for the Octavia and pay less tax. Oh,and have a lever to pull on when I wanted to remain stationary and then actually released smoothly when I wanted it to! Bliss.

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
thanks Angus, i know what you mean about the electronic hand brake i had a test drive in a new galaxy yesterday and that had an electronic hand brake, i found it to horrible and not very re assuring, supposed to have been testing an espace today that allso has a electronic handbrake but i have cancelled the test as the espace has once again come last in the driver power survey.

I am going down to skoda in manchester instead to have a look at the octavia.

Nov 9, 2006
Visit site
thanks Angus, i know what you mean about the electronic hand brake i had a test drive in a new galaxy yesterday and that had an electronic hand brake, i found it to horrible and not very re assuring, supposed to have been testing an espace today that allso has a electronic handbrake but i have cancelled the test as the espace has once again come last in the driver power survey.

Why not consider a newer version of what you already have?

You have sung the prasies of the Alhambra for a while now.

Dec 23, 2005
Visit site
Icemaker,

I used to have a 2005 Octavia 2.0FSi Elegance Estate and found it be a good stable towcar. The clutch and flywheel did burn out within 6 months of havng it but they were replaced under warranty.

I now have an Octavia 2.0 TDi Sport hatchback and tow a Bailey Ranger 470/4. Again, a good stable towcar with plenty of pulling power. I've had problems with this one - windscreen replaced due to delamination (common Octavia fault) and a new traction control unit fitted - but don't let this put you off! I use Robert Eardley's in Crewe for any problems and they provide a good service.

The Briskoda forum is very good for information - http://www.briskoda.net/

Hope this is of some use to you.

Martin.

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
Why not consider a newer version of what you already have?

You have sung the prasies of the Alhambra for a while now.
purely down to having had a galaxy and then the alhambra, i just fancied something different for a change. not made my mind up yet but to be honest having seen the skoda today im not sure i could cope with being in a normal car again after having such a comanding driving position for so long.

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site

purely down to having had a galaxy and then the alhambra, i just fancied something different for a change. not made my mind up yet but to be honest having seen the skoda today im not sure i could cope with being in a normal car again after having such a comanding driving position for so long.

Feb 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi I tow with the octavia II 4x4 tdi Its the first car we have towed with so cant compare with anything else. It feels fine towing our bailey senator vermont, we hardly notice its there.

It was chipped to 130bhp from new so pulls well.

The kerb weight is 1615kg nose weiight 75kg and maximum braked trailer weight is 1500kg.

It gets 45mpg combined. up to 60 mpg on a long (50mph)run and 33 mpg towing the caravan.

The 4 wheel drive system works well. I work shifts and live in scotland and have had to transport people home from work in the snow after a night shift

Just ask if you want to know anything else

Dec 23, 2005
Visit site
Hi I tow with the octavia II 4x4 tdi Its the first car we have towed with so cant compare with anything else. It feels fine towing our bailey senator vermont, we hardly notice its there.

It was chipped to 130bhp from new so pulls well.

The kerb weight is 1615kg nose weiight 75kg and maximum braked trailer weight is 1500kg.

It gets 45mpg combined. up to 60 mpg on a long (50mph)run and 33 mpg towing the caravan.

The 4 wheel drive system works well. I work shifts and live in scotland and have had to transport people home from work in the snow after a night shift

Just ask if you want to know anything else
Colin, the kerbweight you quote seems a little high. Are you sure it's not 1460kg? That would give you a 95% match on your van.

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
Hi colin thanks for that, it would appear that the 4x4 is the only model i can have at the moment as the new scout model has been put on hold indefinately for some reason.

the brochure i have for the 2007 model shows all the estates except the 4x4 at 1400 kgs max tow but the 4x4 is 1600 so thats fine also the kerbeight is as you say round about the 1600 kg mark depending on options.

the only problem i have is when i went to see the cars my dealer in manchester on bury new road was most ignorant and did not seem interested, very strange could not care less attitude.

got to admit though i have allso looked at the new galaxy ghia diesel and it absolutely fantastic so i am tempted to wait and save for a few more months.

Feb 4, 2007
Visit site
Colin, the kerbweight you quote seems a little high. Are you sure it's not 1460kg? That would give you a 95% match on your van.
No it is definateely 1615kg. most sites seem to mix up the figures for this car. Check out skoda.co.uk if you like.

TRENDING THREADS