SLIM FIT TYRES

Mar 7, 2008
Visit site
Where do we stand leagliy with a Slim Fit tyre as the law as far as i am aware has not changed on what type of tyre can be placed on a single axcel E.G. PROFILE WEIGHT RATIO TRYE PRESSURE AND PATTERN TO A CERTAIN EXTENT.But car manufactures are increasingly supppying these as standard .i do not feel it neither safe nor sensible to tow with one and i wonder what other peoples vaiws are.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Space-saver spare wheels are intended for emergency use, to allow you to get to a repairer at reduced speed. They aren't intended to allow you to continue your journey or holiday. They aren't technically legal in the UK as it's illegal to have different size tyres on the same axle but they are legal in the rest of Europe and you won't be prosecuted here for using them as intended.

If you're towing and have to fix a car puncture by fitting a space-saver then the speed needs to be kept right down while you travel to a repairer - don't try to finish your journey on the space-saver. Most space-savers are restricted to 50mph solo so I think 30-40 is reasonable towing.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Strictly speaking they are illegal on the Continent, too. You can be prosecuted for travelling more than a reasonable distance to the nearest tyre dealer. They are not intended to enable you to continue a long journey.

Jan 28, 2008
Visit site
The manufacturers supplying cars with space saver spares will have tested them at the extremes of allowable vehicle loading conditions including the vehicle at its maximum axle weights.

That will also cover the vehicle when towing, because we still have to abide by the vehicle limits don't we?

However, space saver tyres will not deliver the same grip or lateral stiffness of a full size tyre and this may well have a detrimental impact on vehicle stability whilst towing.

If my car had a space saver spare, I would be tempted to get a full size spare for use when towing, especially long distances.

Yes it is a hassle and extra expense, but better safe than sorry when it comes to safety.

David

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Trouble is, some cars only have space in the spare wheel well in the boot for the standard tyre and not for a low profile tyre on a larger wheel, even though the latter may have been fitted as an ex-works option. In a case like that, you've got nowhere to store a spare wheel of the same size as the other four.

Jan 28, 2008
Visit site
I agree, however it is always possible to put the full size spare in the car boot (or even in caravan), and load up around it. Yes it is a pain to do that, but at the end of the day, is it better to be inconvenienced, or risk having an "incident" while towing with a space saver tyre?

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
When we go away the back of the car is so full you can't see out of the rear window so there certainly is no space for another wheel and I can't see it going into the caravan either. Ah well, no risk, no fun. In 45 years of motoring I've had maybe 3 flat tyres so that's a risk I've learnt to live with. I've had a breakdown probably as many times and was unable to continue my journey unaided then, too, so I put a puncture in the same category as a breakdown.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Another problem associated with space-saver spare wheels is that the full-size punctured wheel may not fit the slim wheel well if you have to fit the spare - but at least it's all better than no spare, just a can of tyre weld, which won't fix a big puncture or a blowout.

Mar 7, 2008
Visit site
The manufacturers supplying cars with space saver spares will have tested them at the extremes of allowable vehicle loading conditions including the vehicle at its maximum axle weights.

That will also cover the vehicle when towing, because we still have to abide by the vehicle limits don't we?

However, space saver tyres will not deliver the same grip or lateral stiffness of a full size tyre and this may well have a detrimental impact on vehicle stability whilst towing.

If my car had a space saver spare, I would be tempted to get a full size spare for use when towing, especially long distances.

Yes it is a hassle and extra expense, but better safe than sorry when it comes to safety.

David
Hi Dave i raised the origonal question about slime fit tyres

but there are no manufactures test figures published anywhere

and no matter which salesman you ask there are no answers out there. So begs the question how can anyone blindly tow anywhere

with something not fit for use.This is the legally operative

word.DEFINE FIT FOR USE.

Jan 2, 2007
Visit site
Hi all

some skinny tyres are restricted to 50 mph/50 miles only, and thats just solo ! I would never run a car without a full sized spare. Our car came with a skinny, but we ordered it with a full size. When we collected it, no full size (as the dealer said it'll reduce the size of boot/I ignored what you wanted) - dealer supplied at a later date inc foam moulding to suit bigger wheel. So it can be done. Better safe than sorry.

Ann & John

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts