Slowest Drivers?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
What's the worst car to get stuck behind when towing - you know you're driving along quite happily with the van in tow at about 50mph on an A road, when some numpty pulls out about 10 yards in front of you and then crawls along at 35-40mph, only speeding up when you have the occasional opportunity to try to overtake. In my experience they're usually small Far Eastern motorized wardrobes, such as the Suziki Wagon R. S'funny all cars can comfortably cruise at 50,60 or 70+ where appropriate, but so few do, and then we vanners get the blame??!!

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Personally I dont mind Mike as long as the traffic behind me realises I'm not the cause because people are quick to blame caravans. On right hand bends I do my best to hug the nearside so the traffic behind can see who is causing the hold up. What you described happened to me not so long ago. I was coming down a straight and 2 little old biddies were waiting to pull out of a Pick Your Own Farm. I was close enough to read their faces "oooo a caravan must get out before they hold me up". They caused me to brake then proceeded to do 35mph for the next 12 miles until they turned off.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I don't think you can generalise really. It's across the board - the standard (or lack of it) of driving has declined certainly during the past 20 years in my opinion. I was on a dual carriage way the other week doing 70 ish and had to get into the outside lane and sadly got behind a woman who was driving at the incredible speed of 38mph. Despite my flashing my headlights etc she wouldn't speed up or move over. She was totally oblivious to the chaos casued behind. She was in a tiny car Matiz, gripping the steering wheel and had her eyes fixed firmly ahead. I have to say, on the other hand, the other night I got behind a sabaru and the driver refused to go above 40 on a single carriage road where the national speed limit applied. (Honest that's true). They say speed kills, yes it does, but does that mean too fast or too slow in all cases?

Lisa

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sorry forgot to mention - I wasn't towing on those occasions, I don't like to be stuck behind idiots when towing as we get the blame don't we. Apart from slow vehicles, I hate it when you're stuck behind someone who keeps braking unnecessarily all the time, been stuck behind loads of those.

Lisa.

Mar 27, 2005
Visit site
Its got to be farmers in old landrovers with obligatory collie dog and bale of straw. I live in a tiny village in the middle of know where and I recon every farm around here must have a dozen landrovers that lie in wait till I decide to leave the village. They then pull out in front of me and I have to follow them, towing or not, for miles till the main road. I think then they must wait to get me on the return trip. Yep definitely old landrovers driven by farmers

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Martyn - well said

I think they like to wait until a bank holiday too. That seems to be their favourite time to come out.

Lisa

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Try living in a rural/agricultural area like Herefordshire - it is tractors, followed by the said Land Rovers. I'm sure the farmers around here use them for going to town shopping just because they get cheap agricultural deisel. I followed a tractor and trailer followed by a Land Rover for 10 miles recently. I couldnt overtake because there was at least 25 cars in front of me. After 10 miles the queue behind must have gone back at least 1/2 mile. Anyone who knows Herefordshire roads will know that passing places are few and far between.

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Try living in a rural/agricultural area like Herefordshire - it is tractors, followed by the said Land Rovers. I'm sure the farmers around here use them for going to town shopping just because they get cheap agricultural deisel. I followed a tractor and trailer followed by a Land Rover for 10 miles recently. I couldnt overtake because there was at least 25 cars in front of me. After 10 miles the queue behind must have gone back at least 1/2 mile. Anyone who knows Herefordshire roads will know that passing places are few and far between.
It's exactly the same here in Norfolk. My "alarm clock" is a tractor coming past at 6.55 a.m. every morning!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I don't think you can generalise really. It's across the board - the standard (or lack of it) of driving has declined certainly during the past 20 years in my opinion. I was on a dual carriage way the other week doing 70 ish and had to get into the outside lane and sadly got behind a woman who was driving at the incredible speed of 38mph. Despite my flashing my headlights etc she wouldn't speed up or move over. She was totally oblivious to the chaos casued behind. She was in a tiny car Matiz, gripping the steering wheel and had her eyes fixed firmly ahead. I have to say, on the other hand, the other night I got behind a sabaru and the driver refused to go above 40 on a single carriage road where the national speed limit applied. (Honest that's true). They say speed kills, yes it does, but does that mean too fast or too slow in all cases?

Lisa
No Lisa you have to grit your teeth, and say to yourself that these drivers have every right to be travel at the speeds mentioned and also say to yourself that that might be me in a few years time. everyone is in the queue of life.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Then you get the other idiot that overtakes you only to cut you up when they suddenly take the exit that they nearly passed. Hoever I agree that the annoying one is the one that pulls out in front of you causing you to brake and then they proceed to travel at 20 mph.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I was always given to believe that it is not the first vehicle which causes the queue but the second vehicle as one vehicle on its own is not a queue. Also Lord B. as a gentleman of the manor if you are using agricultural or pink deisel on the Queen's highway in your Landrovers or tractors for shopping purposes you are breaking the law. The only time you can use this fuel is whilst crossing a public highway from one field to another or in your case estate.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

Lisa
Hi Shiraz

Sorry but will have to agree to disagree on that apart from the age bit.

Regards.

Lisa.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Shiraz

Sorry but will have to agree to disagree on that apart from the age bit.

Regards.

Lisa.
Hi Lisa - sorry you disagree about the slow drivers. and I can only hope that you are not true to your word as I can visulise an elderly person flying down the fast lane in his/her 4x4 pulling a great big van well in excess of the speed limit.

God protect us all for you Lisa know not what you do. IMHO

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Never mind slow tractors we once got stuck behind a pig on a quiet lane in the New Forest. Nobody with it but it seemed to know where it was going and eventually turned off in to a farmyard (without indicating!). (Sorry, cant think of any suitably humorous "pig" comments but I am sure there are some!)

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I was always given to believe that it is not the first vehicle which causes the queue but the second vehicle as one vehicle on its own is not a queue. Also Lord B. as a gentleman of the manor if you are using agricultural or pink deisel on the Queen's highway in your Landrovers or tractors for shopping purposes you are breaking the law. The only time you can use this fuel is whilst crossing a public highway from one field to another or in your case estate.
Yes I'm aware of that Colin ;O)

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Jim and Pauline you must have been totally boared, what a sorry tail you tell. I hope you are telling us the truth and not a load of pork pies. If I find you are telling porkies I will squeal on you both.I ham used to poking my snout into these matters and making even more rasher decisions than that.

Yours gruntingly, Lord B.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As a New Forest Resident - I know how frustrating these Pigs can be! No road sense whatsoever.

However - they are released to run free each year to eat the acorns - which they love - but which are poisonous to the New Forest Ponies.

As such they are an important part of the "Life Cycle" of the Forest.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
As a New Forest Resident - I know how frustrating these Pigs can be! No road sense whatsoever.

However - they are released to run free each year to eat the acorns - which they love - but which are poisonous to the New Forest Ponies.

As such they are an important part of the "Life Cycle" of the Forest.
Don't forget the wild boar that used to roam there too Clive until hunted to extinction ;O)

Feb 4, 2006
Visit site
Same here in Sussex. One road in and out of the village ten miles long, a large number of elderly drivers, Tractors, Articulated lorries, a bus every 15 mins, not to mention caravans :)

Almost impossible to pass, I've seen as many as 32 cars following a tractor. Ten miles can take 3/4 of an hour. I must like living here.........

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts