Smart Electricity Meters

Dec 27, 2022
Visit site
So nothing really to do with smart meters, just the old economy 7 RTS meters that are due to be replaced. True the households will have to get a smart meter to replace the RTS meter but where is the hardship in that, it's all GBnews propaganda.
I do feel unclean having looked at GBnews time to go and have a shower.

Reactions: ProfJohnL

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
The problem will be if you can't get a Smart Meter installed or if you can will it actually work.

The number of RTS meters installed is low compared to other types.

Following on from this the early SMETS1 meters relied on the 3G mobile signal which is being switched off.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
So nothing really to do with smart meters, just the old economy 7 RTS meters that are due to be replaced. True the households will have to get a smart meter to replace the RTS meter but where is the hardship in that, it's all GBnews propaganda.
I do feel unclean having looked at GBnews time to go and have a shower.
Attention grabbing headlines to up reader numbers.

I would argue the electricity sales companies should be liable for any inconvenience of customer costs if they fail to fit an appropriate meter before the RTS system is turned off. Customer should not have bigger bills if the supply company has failed to install the correct meter.
The problem will be if you can't get a Smart Meter installed or if you can will it actually work.

The number of RTS meters installed is low compared to other types.

Following on from this the early SMETS1 meters relied on the 3G mobile signal which is being switched off.
There have been some problems - (Show me any brand new technology that hasn't had a hiccup or two) with the first meters, I was asked to have a smart meter fitted several years ago, but as soon as the fitter viewed my situation he said he couldn't fit one becasue there was no signal he turned round and left.

Just a month ago I have now got a smart meter and its is working, so things have improved. Perhaps not perfect, but its those challenges that drive innovation.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Attention grabbing headlines to up reader numbers.

I would argue the electricity sales companies should be liable for any inconvenience of customer costs if they fail to fit an appropriate meter before the RTS system is turned off. Customer should not have bigger bills if the supply company has failed to install the correct meter.

There have been some problems - (Show me any brand new technology that hasn't had a hiccup or two) with the first meters, I was asked to have a smart meter fitted several years ago, but as soon as the fitter viewed my situation he said he couldn't fit one becasue there was no signal he turned round and left.

Just a month ago I have now got a smart meter and its is working, so things have improved. Perhaps not perfect, but its those challenges that drive innovation.
Is it fake news?
We don’t have a smart meter and these headlines made me wonder if there really are problems?
Seems a bit of a minefield to me😉

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts