Smart Electricity Meters

Dec 27, 2022
Visit site
So nothing really to do with smart meters, just the old economy 7 RTS meters that are due to be replaced. True the households will have to get a smart meter to replace the RTS meter but where is the hardship in that, it's all GBnews propaganda.
I do feel unclean having looked at GBnews time to go and have a shower.

Reactions: Tobes and ProfJohnL

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
The problem will be if you can't get a Smart Meter installed or if you can will it actually work.

The number of RTS meters installed is low compared to other types.

Following on from this the early SMETS1 meters relied on the 3G mobile signal which is being switched off.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
So nothing really to do with smart meters, just the old economy 7 RTS meters that are due to be replaced. True the households will have to get a smart meter to replace the RTS meter but where is the hardship in that, it's all GBnews propaganda.
I do feel unclean having looked at GBnews time to go and have a shower.
Attention grabbing headlines to up reader numbers.

I would argue the electricity sales companies should be liable for any inconvenience of customer costs if they fail to fit an appropriate meter before the RTS system is turned off. Customer should not have bigger bills if the supply company has failed to install the correct meter.
The problem will be if you can't get a Smart Meter installed or if you can will it actually work.

The number of RTS meters installed is low compared to other types.

Following on from this the early SMETS1 meters relied on the 3G mobile signal which is being switched off.
There have been some problems - (Show me any brand new technology that hasn't had a hiccup or two) with the first meters, I was asked to have a smart meter fitted several years ago, but as soon as the fitter viewed my situation he said he couldn't fit one becasue there was no signal he turned round and left.

Just a month ago I have now got a smart meter and its is working, so things have improved. Perhaps not perfect, but its those challenges that drive innovation.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Attention grabbing headlines to up reader numbers.

I would argue the electricity sales companies should be liable for any inconvenience of customer costs if they fail to fit an appropriate meter before the RTS system is turned off. Customer should not have bigger bills if the supply company has failed to install the correct meter.

There have been some problems - (Show me any brand new technology that hasn't had a hiccup or two) with the first meters, I was asked to have a smart meter fitted several years ago, but as soon as the fitter viewed my situation he said he couldn't fit one becasue there was no signal he turned round and left.

Just a month ago I have now got a smart meter and its is working, so things have improved. Perhaps not perfect, but its those challenges that drive innovation.
Is it fake news?
We don’t have a smart meter and these headlines made me wonder if there really are problems?
Seems a bit of a minefield to me😉

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
This may have relevance to some of you , especially those charging their EVs at home on the “best” tariff. Hope it helps.
https://www.gbnews.com/money/smart-meter-warning-radio-teleswitch-service
As has been said, really only affects old Economy 7 meters. There is a a small irony which is that any EV user with a dedicated EV focused tariff will already be on a smart meter, not a radio switch meter.

I really don't understand the reluctance of some of the public (not suggesting any here is in that category) to use smart meters (where they are available - which is still not everywhere and as such a travesty). They offer so many benefits to home owners with few drawbacks. The only real drawback is if you are using a smart tariff, and some of your data is lost and unretrievable, you may be charged at a higher rate - the exact rate you would have been on on a "dumb" meter.

I have several neighbours who I have suggested (persuaded would be way too strong) would benefit from a smart meter, and when shown the savings available, they have leapt to get them and are saving literally hundreds of pounds a year.

Does anyone have insight on the reluctance ? I am genuinely curious.

Reactions: Dustydog
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
As has been said, really only affects old Economy 7 meters. There is a a small irony which is that any EV user with a dedicated EV focused tariff will already be on a smart meter, not a radio switch meter.

I really don't understand the reluctance of some of the public (not suggesting any here is in that category) to use smart meters (where they are available - which is still not everywhere and as such a travesty). They offer so many benefits to home owners with few drawbacks. The only real drawback is if you are using a smart tariff, and some of your data is lost and unretrievable, you may be charged at a higher rate - the exact rate you would have been on on a "dumb" meter.

I have several neighbours who I have suggested (persuaded would be way too strong) would benefit from a smart meter, and when shown the savings available, they have leapt to get them and are saving literally hundreds of pounds a year.

We have had the smart meter for a couple of years with zero problems. It is a mystery to me why the original ones were issued before being tested as fit for purpose and not updatable.

John

Reactions: Tobes
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

How did they manage to "save" hundreds of pounds by having a Smart meter fitted as after all whether a standard or a Smart meter the charges are still the same? Curious.
:unsure:

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
How did they manage to "save" hundreds of pounds by having a Smart meter fitted as after all whether a standard or a Smart meter the charges are still the same? Curious.
:unsure:
The tariffs are _not_ the same. They can be much cheaper especially if you pick one tailored to your particular usage pattern. Smart meters record your usage in 30 min windows, allowing your provider to charge you in a very granular fashion. If the meter fails to upload the reading data to the cloud, or the cloud fails to pass it on to the supplier, and it cant be retrieved (which is very rare), the supplier will charge you at the non-smart tariff that you were originally sign up with for the days (or sometimes hours) where data is not available.

My neighbours were on the standard Octopus or E-On tariff and moved to the Octopus tracker tariff. It changes price every day based on the prevailing wholesale price of electricity. Much cheaper (in general) than that standard variable tariff. Same for gas.

My latest bill looks like this. Note the average rate per kWh charged...

1728479661003.png

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts