Smartphone vs indicators.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
People are excited about their new Smartphone, but no one has yet caught up with the awesome technology of using the indicators when driving. Is this because there is no app how to use the indicators?

Talking about indicators is it my imagination or are they getting smaller and fainter? If the sun is shining onto the front or rear of the car on a normal day, the indicators can be very difficult to see. On a cloudy day when they should be large and bright they seem to be a microscopic dot on the rear of the car.

Reactions: JezzerB

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
IMO it is best simply to ignor other peoples indicators, assuming the vehicle will do what it will do irrespective of the message the indicators are supposed to be conveying. One of the pluses gained from a near lifelong experience of riding motorcycles , "trust no one".

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
People are excited about their new Smartphone, but no one has yet caught up with the awesome technology of using the indicators when driving. Is this because there is no app how to use the indicators?

Talking about indicators is it my imagination or are they getting smaller and fainter? If the sun is shining onto the front or rear of the car on a normal day, the indicators can be very difficult to see. On a cloudy day when they should be large and bright they seem to be a microscopic dot on the rear of the car.

Absolutely no one! Do you include yourself? :)

I would agree that not enough do use them displaying a disregard for those around them. Assuming they are aware of those around them that is.

John

Reactions: JezzerB
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Absolutely no one! Do you include yourself? :)

I would agree that not enough do use them displaying a disregard for those around them. Assuming they are aware of those around them that is.

John
I probably used my indicators too much. BTW did you get my text on Tuesday? :)

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
IMO it is best simply to ignor other peoples indicators, assuming the vehicle will do what it will do irrespective of the message the indicators are supposed to be conveying. One of the pluses gained from a near lifelong experience of riding motorcycles , "trust no one".
Especially if they are signalling left into a junction and you are waiting to pull out of that junction Yep "trust no one"

Where I heard or read, I can't remember, there was a comment that struck me "If I'd have paid that much for that car I'd have made sure that the indicators work"

Reactions: JTQ and JezzerB
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
A habit that seems to be developing esp in the fastest vehicle on the road category ie White van man is to pull out of a side road when left turning as fast as possible knowing there is no traffic approaching even though yes are firmly fixed well, elsewhere!

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

I don’t think indicators are getting fainter but within the rear cluster some cars do have quite small clusters and when the brake lights come on the indicators can be difficult to see especially in sunlight. Some years ago Passats had circular indicators around the rear/ brake light. They were not LED and were not at all distinctive. But of course there shouldn’t be a problem especially for following cars as all drivers are taught to MSM so indicators have to come on before brake lights 😂

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
But of course there shouldn’t be a problem especially for following cars as all drivers are taught to MSM so indicators have to come on before brake lights 😂
Coming back from Brean yesterday a car in the middle lane put on their indicator at the same time that they moved into the "fast" lane. If I had not braked hard, I am sure that I would have hit him. What was more annoying is that at 70mph I was leaving a "safe" gap between the car in front and our car and he went into the gap at a lower speed! :mad:

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Coming back from Brean yesterday a car in the middle lane put on their indicator at the same time that they moved into the "fast" lane. If I had not braked hard, I am sure that I would have hit him. What was more annoying is that at 70mph I was leaving a "safe" gap between the car in front and our car and he went into the gap at a lower speed! :mad:
Some HGVs have the ability to spontaneously move sideways to the right as the indicator makes its first flash, occasionally even before it flashes 🤭

• Haha
Reactions: Buckman
Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Push bike and motorcycling really focuses the mind. Driving is getting worse out there.
Sorry JB I disagree and agree with your post. Driving is getting worse, I like many others, have to put up with it on a daily, consider myself an average driver but, that's really for others to decide.
I'm sure you are as good a cyclist as you are a car driver., you imply that each cyclist has his own little halo. But most of the cyclist on the road are car drivers and what little road sense they had, seems to have vanished down the road, when they put thire lycra on .
I'll give you an experience of mine, as a pedestrian. On holiday In Cornwell there was an event called "Ride for life" which went through Looe. The drive into Looe was frightening, cyclist all over the road, anyway I parked up in West Looe and walked across the bridge to a light controlled pedestrian crossing, many of you may know it. Pressed the button and waited for the green man, cars stopped and we started to cross, only to be met by cyclist ignoring the red light riding around the stopped cars, this continued until the the light turned to green with us still stranded in the middle of the crossing .
I sent an e-mail off to the organisers, did I get a reply, not. What I did notice the next time it was held, there was a camera against the rock face over the bridge.

Sorry JB but I think it's more of six of this and half a dozen of the other.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Dave,

Your analysis of the situation relies on the hypotheses that all drivers are also cyclists - which is not true and that cyclists change their road habits when they drive a car. Of course there are a vast range of different behaviours displayed by both drivers and cyclists, some good some bad.

On balance I do think the standard of driving has changed vastly from when I started. But that is partly due to the big increase in the numbers of drivers, so our roads especially in urban areas are far more congested. But all area's have in my view seen a general deterioration, and many illegal activities, Speeding probably the most common, failing to signal intentions, parking half on pavements, poorly adjusted headlights, .................... etc. etc etc.

One aspect which must be a contributory factor is how the performance of vehicles has increased model on model, family saloons to-day can often have top speeds of well over 100mph, where as cars in teh 1960's often could barely reach 80 mph. We are now faster accelerating and braking harder than older cars. We may have more and better safety features, but has that become a reason to drive more aggressively?

Some cyclists are also pushing the boundaries, as has already been pointed out some don't respect traffic lights, or even one way systems. They also weave in and out of slow moving or stationary traffic with little regard for others, But before the motor cycle brigade start to tell us they are trained to weave, the one aspect they fail to include in their rebuttals is the consideration of when it is safe to do so, and when it will not impede or adversely affect other road users.

We are all road users and must consider all the others involved, it some who think they are above sharing, and decide to ignore the safety of others who are the ones that need to consider their actions.

Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
...cars stopped and we started to cross, only to be met by cyclist ignoring the red light riding around the stopped cars, this continued until the the light turned to green with us still stranded in the middle of the crossing .

I'm not going to argue, we all know it happens. I can tell you that as a cyclist myself, seeing that kind of behaviour winds me up, and I know many other cyclists feel the same. Unfortunately that particular genie has been out of the bottle so long, the only thing that'll put it back is major Police enforcement, and they just don't have the manpower. To get an idea of what would be needed, think about motorised transport and speeding - huge amounts of enforcement resources are directed at catching speeders, yet it barely scratches the surface of the problem.

To stop red light jumping, and pavement cycling, would take at least the same level of resource that's currently being directed at speeding - except that control of illegal cycling can't be automated the way speed management is, so would require "boots on the ground".

Sorry I've got a bit off topic but it's something I feel strongly about!

Reactions: DaveA1 and JezzerB
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Actually Dave I totally agree with you and Gozza is spot on too: there is bad practice out there from all walks. Generally bikes are a bit less destructive unless you are on a horse or foot but races and 'clumps' are getting more prevalent. The ignoring lights galls me.our local toll bridge is free to motorbikes but it says stop before proceeding but of course some filter past the queue of car; lethal there as some car drivers turn or open doors to pay. Shame we're not all perfect. I try my best but we're all guilty of errors of course. The passion for loud pipes needs sorting by confiscation maybe.

Reactions: Buckman and DaveA1

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts