Snobbery on site

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
Angus,

you are right, but the snobs do not see the people, they just choose who to talk to based on the rig. I am lucky, good job with a choice of new car and van when I want. But I would rather spend a week in a field in an old van with good people, than any amount of time in a state of the art van with people who are too shallow to see me and not the van.

Roll on the next forum users rally, no one took the slightest notice of how old or new the vans where

Steve

Note to self... sort out the rally!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Never really noticed any snobbery within the caravan ranks. Motorhomers though, now there's another story. Always seem to look down on us that tow, I wouldn't be surprised if Lord B wasn't a closet motorhomer, just so he can look down on us from a great height!

I'll get me coat.........

May 15, 2005
Visit site
This is my 1st real year at caravanning, we have a 1990 Elddis Cyclone GTX 5 berth, which yes is starting to show it's age, body work starting to fade in places, few scuffs and dents here and there from the previous owners miss use. However for a 1st caravan at a cost of

Dec 23, 2006
Visit site
Hi,

We had an amusing situation on site a couple of years ago. We arrived on site with our single axle 2 year old Bessacar and Volvo 850 estate. Next to us were two twin axle Swift Conqerors towed by Isusu Troopers, obviously friends. We said hello to both couples but got NO reply. However about one hour later our friends arrived and reversed onto the pitch next to us. Our friends are ordinary people who love chatting to other caravanners. However their outfit was a new Vanmaster Twin Axle towed by a new Shogun! You should have seen the sick look on the Conqerer couples faces. We hope the Conqerer people were taught a lesson! If they had spoken to ourselves and our friends they would have realised we do not give a dam what outfit a person has. We are all caravanners who love our hobby.

Hamer

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I totally agree with everything that has been said so far. But before we start getting too self-congratulatory about what a wonderfully welcoming and inclusive bunch we are, I think we should not forget some of the remarks that have been made on this very forum about tent-campers! There have been some very derogatory statements about those who spend their time on site under fabric, rather than solid sides and roofs.

I have camped over the years in tents, trailer tents, folding campers, caravans old and new and have arrived on site in anything from a brand new BMW 7 series to a clapped out Volvo 240. I cannot say I have been aware of hostility, whatever our outfit (although we did use to tell the kids to spread the rumour that we were actually eccentric millionaires). I really do not care what the monetary value of my neighbour's equipment might be - if they are enjoying themselves in a similar way to me, and are not keeping me awake at night with excessive noise, that is all I ask. Children, dogs, a caravan that is not the ubiquitous Bailey 200? (no, honestly, I have nothing against Baileys, it just gets a bit boring - but you can pitch alongside me anytime and I will still pass the time of day!), tent from Argos, ancient trailer tent, split-screen VW camper, the more the merrier! If I say 'We used to have one of those', it will be because I am experiencing real nostalgia and remembering the good times we had with that particular unit, not because I am saying 'But now we are much better people than you, because we have moved on to a caravan with blown-air heating'.

So, good! As I said, I agree with all that has been said so far. Let us all remember this the next time someone starts a rant about children, dogs, tent-campers, Transit-vans, Tabbert caravans, young people, old people or any of the groups so many on this forum seem to love to hate. We are all in this together, most of us as we go through life become more or less affluent from time to time. But we remain the same people, with the same priorities and the same fundamental values - and for most of us, those values are not expressed in

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Looks like I've got a breakfast every day of the month!!??

Remember the comment.

You can call me what you like but never call me late for breakfast.

I've had the 1/2 millionaire life and still have the private number plate to show. 10 years ago it all went pearshaped when a company went bust on me and I had to start over again.

When I went for a job as a CNC machine programmer the biggest question was how did I feel about going down from MD to programmer? I replied that 22 years before I started on the shop floor as a machine operator and going back to my roots was like going home.

Now I'm 3rd in line of command in a company with a 30 million turnover and go to number 1 on night shift.

Yes the ladder is hard to climb a second time but you do learn more about family, their support and life in general.

I also learnt a lot about me. I am a regular guy just like anyone else. Oh by the way I do have a real hate for those with their noses in the air and will let then know it.

Funny though a good friend through our local school and the antics we get upto lugging a boat over the gate next to his house to go to the parish common to play in the river is none other than Monty Don. A very down to earth man like me.

Did ask if we knew who he was though, we said of coarse we do, come on lets go for a dip in the river. Being classless is great fun. Even Monty agree's.

Steve L.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
40 years ago as a brash young new caravanner(sleeping in A35 van) I remember us envying a superb outfit owned by an elderly couple and remarking in a rare moment of insight that they would swap that outfit for 20 years off their age.

Well believe me its really true 40 years later with a disabled wife and 06 reg car and new van.No complaints just telling it how it is.

My point being that all the Vanmasters/Mercs etc are enviable but perhaps the overall lifestyle package that goes with them has a price tag that is not so enviable.

We have experienced the reverse snobbery --only last week we were told that our range of van was a waste of money as a lesser range by the same manufacturer was a lot cheaper.

Its people who matter not possessions.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
strange topic this , i've found the complete opposite, 2005 bought new car( first new car ever ) only had it for 4 weeks went to france for 3 weeks on same site , for the first time in 17 years of caravanning totally blanked by fellow english caravanners we tried & tried but every time blanked , owe fellow caravanners all had older cars & caravans (owe caravan then was just under 3 years old).this year we bought owe very first new caravan , on site this year in france & england i've had about 10 fellow caravanners make run down remarks about thier old caravans saying how nice by caravan is & that they were going to buy a newer caravan ,all with no prompt from me.... in all walks of life you get snobbery , when i go fishing you get fishing tackle snobs, when i go to watch my son play football you get football team snobs....if my hobby was standing in a dark room picking my nose i'am sure you would get some snobs at that too , but you should hear my friends laugh when i tell them about the caravan snobs.....pete

May 12, 2006
Visit site
A couple of years ago whilst working in the US, I was driving home from work and all of a sudden along came this almighty headache. My wife had the tea almost ready when I walked in, don't want that just yet said I, I've got a headache. So I went to lie down, after a few minutes I called my wife and said this ain't right so off we went to a small town hospital. Luckily they had a scaner,after the scan in walked two nurses and proceeded to put drips in my arms, whooa said I you have the wrong guy. In walked the doctor who said " it's serious you need to go to Jackson" 120 miles away. Well if you have ever been in an ambulance for 3 hours knowing you have had a brain haemorrhage, you start to get things in perspective. My wife was waiting for me as I was admitted, the next three days were difficult for all of my family. My eldest son flew out to Memphis to support my wife,our friends phoned from all over the world. But it all turned out OK in the end. The reason I have wrote this is to say Snnobery, what's that ?? You never really know the people in the next van, or who your friends are until you need them. I have only been caravanning for a short time but, I do know if we get in to difficulties the people in the next van may pass us by, but the peole in the van next in line won't. Of that I'm sure so don't worry about Snobs, they may be next door, but not next door again.

Val & Frank.

New Van, New Car Because I don't know what's around the corner

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Well put mike.

People are too busy surrounding themselves with bling and are forgetting family values.

I know only too well how much a simple helping hand can be worth. My father-in-law offered me his life savings when I was dragged under by a corporate firm who deliberately crashed a subsiuary to flush it's debts. I declined nicely as i could not see at the time that 60K would solve the problem and I also could not see me paying it back in the near future.

Some folk today would of snatched his hand off and then said "stuff ya" when pay back was required.

You try holding a door open today for a granny. They think your out to mugg them!!

Stop to help a motorist in distress, not likely you get a mouthfull of abuse for holding up traffic.

Rubber necking ---- they only want to see if it's worth

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Frank you are like us making the best of things.

We have been doing it for 20 years wondering if it will be the last year caravanning etc.

My wife(Parkinsons) had a very bad shake and lack of mobility and we thought that was it and kept getting on with things and enjoying the time we had as best we could.

Then 6 years ago she was given a brain implant (Deep Brain Stimulation) .This stimulates the production of dopamine electrically and has removed the shake totally and improved mobility.Its not a cure and the degenerative effects of the complaint and old age continue but its a new lease of life.

Just to be able to cut up your own food and dress yourself is wonderfull when someone else has had to do it for you.

It puts one upmanship and snobbery into its place when as you have you live through real problems.

Mike my first father in law was just such a self made farmer who knew the price of everything and value of nothing.

Famous quote "I'm religious I give a pound a week to church"

And snobbish --thankfully he never owned a caravan ---waste of money !!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Frank you are like us making the best of things.

We have been doing it for 20 years wondering if it will be the last year caravanning etc.

My wife(Parkinsons) had a very bad shake and lack of mobility and we thought that was it and kept getting on with things and enjoying the time we had as best we could.

Then 6 years ago she was given a brain implant (Deep Brain Stimulation) .This stimulates the production of dopamine electrically and has removed the shake totally and improved mobility.Its not a cure and the degenerative effects of the complaint and old age continue but its a new lease of life.

Just to be able to cut up your own food and dress yourself is wonderfull when someone else has had to do it for you.

It puts one upmanship and snobbery into its place when as you have you live through real problems.

Mike my first father in law was just such a self made farmer who knew the price of everything and value of nothing.

Famous quote "I'm religious I give a pound a week to church"

And snobbish --thankfully he never owned a caravan ---waste of money !!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Well put mike.

People are too busy surrounding themselves with bling and are forgetting family values.

I know only too well how much a simple helping hand can be worth. My father-in-law offered me his life savings when I was dragged under by a corporate firm who deliberately crashed a subsiuary to flush it's debts. I declined nicely as i could not see at the time that 60K would solve the problem and I also could not see me paying it back in the near future.

Some folk today would of snatched his hand off and then said "stuff ya" when pay back was required.

You try holding a door open today for a granny. They think your out to mugg them!!

Stop to help a motorist in distress, not likely you get a mouthfull of abuse for holding up traffic.

Rubber necking ---- they only want to see if it's worth

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
Reference has been made to the "We are considerably richer than yow" sketch, but I think the Hyacinth Bucket sketch where they get the boat for a holiday is nearer the truth.

Snobbery and caravanning do not really mix.

Aug 9, 2005
Visit site
Reference has been made to the "We are considerably richer than yow" sketch, but I think the Hyacinth Bucket sketch where they get the boat for a holiday is nearer the truth.

Snobbery and caravanning do not really mix.

we always go out of our way to speak to what I call the first steppers, as your posts say some feel that because their van is not top of the range, they won't fit in, most of us have been there or have we forgotten this??I must be going backwards we sold an 8 month old Coachman Van to buy a 3 year old Fleetwood Van, this was because of the Fantastic layout, so the age of my van or others is not of consequence to me,it is their owners that make a friendship.

Jul 4, 2005
Visit site
Turning this the other way around.

Last year we bought our first ever van, a Brand New Abbey, I also always drive a Brand new car worth around the

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Whilst waiting at junction 24 services to meet Lol and his wife at easter, I was parked up with my van on the back. My daughter was in the passenger seat. A 4x4 pulled alongside with a Bailey behind it. Lol told me the make of his vehicle and caravan but I had no idea what he and his wife looked like. I had told him what I was driving and towing.

I assumed the couple (elderly, sorry Lol) were Lol and his wife, so I waved and got out of my car and went to the drivers side of the outfit alongside waving and smiling, expecting it to be Lol and Gaye. I was met by frowns and daggers. They didn't even wind down their window to say 'go away strange woman'.

My daughter and I did laugh about it afterwards but I did think at the time, I wouldn't like to be pitched next to them, the miserable S***.

Lisa

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
I posted this as a reply to Litespeed, but reading it again I think I should put it on the thread.

We may be lucky withour local CC centre but I have always found the people friendly and helpful and the rallies always have loads to keep the kids (4 and 5 YO girls) occupied.

We only joined it last year but feel like it is our extended family already and the kids have friends that they know they will meet again.

I remember as a kid being heartbroken when you had to leave new friends at the end of a holiday knowing that you would probably never meet them again!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Can someone tell me what makes a vanning snob?. If a couple are quiet by nature then they will hardly be life and soul of any camping party. If they have also recently purchased a new or newer van, does that make them seem a class above others?.If they are in the category of any of the above mentioned, and also own a new car does this mean they are not accepted as having the criteria to call themselves normal vanners. Never judge a book by its cover.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Steve, happily, I don't share your view of the world at large. I'm a granny, and if you hold the door open for me I shall just say 'Thank you'. If you stop to help me when my car breaks down, I may well say 'Thank you, but the RAC are on their way'. At no point will I suspect you of being out to mug me - I promise.
I'll be only too glad to help you then. The last one I held a door open for let rip with a personal attack alarm. My ears are still ringing three days later.

I know not of the older generation are the same, but I think sometimes they get the wrong impression of the young. My son for instance is 23 and sports a 6 inch high mo-hawk hair cut and don's a long black leather coat. But his manners are better than most hoteliers, due to the way we have educated our children with our family values.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I can certainly empathise with John G's comments.

I at thr ripe old age!! of 47 have got a whole host of ailments.

Adult sleep apnea, which at first they thought was angina. Sleeping with a nebuliser all night belting out air at 20psi to keep me going.

Diverticulitus and Irratable boul syndrome. (won't go into that one!!??)

Both elbows and one shoulder operated on for excess bone growth trapping the tendons.

Full knee replacement at 21 following a motor cycle crash.

High tryglicerides in my blood, so I have to watch what I eat.

My other half is currently close to having a cartlidge replacement inher knee at 42.

With all this it certainly puts anyones snobbery or embelished pertrail way down my list of priorities.

As I've said before I have been there and got the shirt etc, and had to start over again from litterally the bottom rung of the ladder of life.

We are just happy to see tomorrow and be able to enjoy caravanning for as long as we can raise the steadies and hitch up.

I use a long handled paint roller minus the flock roller as a hand extension to tighten our awning pole clamps for instance. (you see with a bit imagination anything is possible).

By the way even with all this I still do triple shift working and have regular arguments with my gaffer when he suggest's that I go home (30 miles) at 3am andthen come back at 2PM for a supervisors meeting and then stop over to midnight to start my shift off. As you can imagine my answer has got **** off in it!!

Oh what a life no wonder I try to caravan all year round.

Steve.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts