Snobbery on site

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
Having been a member of the CC for about 15 years, I feel that unfortunately as our activity becomes more popular, so we are seeing a new breed of `vanners that regard size and age as status symbols.

I have a new car(company) and an old van, which is pristine inside and out, is equipped with everything we require, and whose interior is cosier and built with far higher quality materials than is the norm for most `new` vans. I keep this van out of choice, not because I can`t afford a new (or newer) van.

Similarly I would have no problem using my wifes older car to pull the van (only then I would have to buy the fuel).

My gripe is with some of the comments made by other site users, not particularly about our outfit but other even older units, who regard people with less than new equipment as second-class citizens.

I realise this is unfortunately indicative of society in general, but still not something necessary or desirable in our activity.

Remember when there was respect for each other? Perhaps the level to which this has diminished can be illustrated by the conversation overheard by my wife in the showers at the CC site ay Trewethett Farm. A little girl having showered with her mum was heard to ask her mum if she was going to mop the shower cubicle as requested on the sign."No dear" came the reply, "that the job of the slaves, thats what they`re paid to do"!!!

If this is the direction we are going in, I may end up going in a different one.

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
I can honestly say that I have not come across the attitudes you describe, although I can believe they are there in a very small minority.

My over riding impression of the caravanning fraternity is that they play on a far more level playing field than society in general.

We put our toes in the water a couple of years ago with a 12 year old van that was well past its best and bought a brand new TA early this year, I have noticed no change in peoples attitudes at all - and that is going from one extreme to the other!

May 12, 2005
Visit site
ANGUS,

Don`t upset your self on account of a few ignorant people,

I think the majority of folk caravanning are great, I like nothing better than a good chin wag, as I`ve said before everyone to their own, If your happy with what you`ve got good luck to you. I wish I had over heard the conversation, she would still be mopping now. Slaves Eh I wouldn`t have a wardens job for a gold clock, they never seem to stop work, they certainley don`t need ignorant so&so`s leaving the place like a pig stye.

(calm down tony) see you`ve set me off now.

TONY A.

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
Garry, my observations are based on CC sites (only used 2 non-CC sites in recent years). The age profile of vans on C&CC sites seems generally older,and there seems to be a more friendly atmosphere on their sites.

I stick with CC because of where they are, the facilities and the space.

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
I was referring to all caravanning holidaymakers really, but as most of our trips are with CC local area rallies I suppose it would be biassed to those groups.

I find enough to do with our local area CC so I have not joined the C&CC yet, although we might to enable us to go on some rallies with wider family who have tents.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I once spoke to a man who had a brand new Range Rover and Eccles Elite, as we waited to empty our toilets. I remarked on his outfit, and he said he had been admiring mine.(12 year old Range Rover and 27 year old Royale).I said that one the things I liked best about our hobby was it's classlessness. His remark? "when we're doing this job,mate, we're all exactly the same" !

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

'"when we're doing this job,mate, we're all exactly the same"!'

Well, you can't argue with that!!

I think there is a bit of snobbery sometimes. However, I think you find that in all walks of life and you have to take the 'broad shoulders' stance. I do prefer to talk to my neighbours but if they blank me, then it's their problem, not mine.

Lisa

nor

Dec 21, 2003
Visit site
try the c&cc they are not at all like that we have been members for years and have only used their sites for many years now. we did join the cc last year and yes i have to agree they are no where near as friendly. we stayed at one of their sites for 2 nights this year and i said to my husband that the toilets were not very clean, every time i went in them they were not as they should be. i know this is not the site managers but the people that use them.

we also stayed on one of their site when we first joined last summer and i was constantly complaining about the way people had left the toilets. he said the mens were in good order, i have never noticed this in the c&cc. we are due to go away in two weeks time to a cc site so i will let you know what its like.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Angus, I wouldn't bother your backside about these sort of people.

Usually they are of the "Mutton dressed as Lamb" variety, and full of their own portable toilet fluid, and as such, not worth bothering about.

You enjoy your caravanning, and take no notice of them. such people are ignorant, and miss out on so much of life by having to continually look behind them to keep up with the Jones's!!

Message to those sort of people. "Find someone who cares" !

Us, we like our caravan, we like meeting people, and I really couldn't care less WHAT caravan, or car anyone else on the site has. Really doesn't interest me two hoots.

There was a comment passed to us by some friends who went to Australia last year which I'll repeat.

Over there, if you go to a barbeque, they will ask you if you want prawns and an iced beer.

Over here they'll ask you where you live, what you do for a living, and what car you drive!!

Summed it up beautifully to us!!

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Well don't get me started on that one.

My 9 year old car and my 24 year old caravan are all bought and paid for!!

Also all I can say is " call me what you like, but NEVER call me late for breakfast".

I must say I find most caravan sites a classless regieme and that's the way I like it.

Anyone who want's to be "considerabley better than yow" can saddle up, hitch up and ride to hte midnight sun. Know what I mean.

99.9% of us caravanners do the hobby for one reason. Peace and tranquility.

Sep 27, 2006
Visit site
Because we are a big family, with old car and old van i find people are staring when we pull up. We normally have a van full of bikes and a car full of dogs. There is four kids, myself and Allan and two labradors. We are the most friendly down to earth people you could ever meet but I think people tend to think "oh no the hillbillies have arrived!" So my point is.....if you see us please dont give us a wide berth as we are just there to relax and enjoy some fun with our family. Pop in and say hello.

G

I don't think there is really any snobbery, apart from the fact that we all drool over the guy with the brand new top of the range Hymer motorhome, knowing it cost as much as a mortgage. Then of course we all make the comment to our better halves 'more money than sense'.

What I do find, especially in the UK is that people are tending to retreat into their own worlds a bit more. Possibly our society is discouraging chatter with each other but I also blame the TV, too many people think that sitting in the awning from 3 pm onwards watching the box is the way to go. Difficult to chat when that occurs. At least in Europe the TV don't work, unless you have sattelite, so conversations can be more fruitful.

As far as shower clean ups, as mentioned in the original post, I think the vast majority of site users try to keep things as clean as possible. There will always be the exceptions, and they probably do the same in their non-caravanning ordinary selfish lives.

Nov 9, 2005
Visit site
we have found that there are a few people who have that attitude

we have an 87 van and shes fantastic but have come across people whos catch phrase should be "i do believe my van is considerably better than yours "

ive gone past caring now weve had her 2 years and probably wont change her for ages yet we have considered getting a newer one but i m struggling to find one i like

we always travel with my parents who have a top of the range van and car and alltough their van is nice its not as comfortable as mine

once a bloke passed comment about my van in toilets in the toilets to my dad along the lines of oh pity you next to that old thing you can imagine my dads response

im all for old vans they are brilliant

May 27, 2006
Visit site
When we had the old 1980s Esterelle folding caravan we recieved several comments similar to "Good grief what on earth is that?"

Did we care?........nope it suited us.

1st trip out with the new Tigano 420 popup this year a well 'groomed' and dressed lady passed by and commented "Oh we used to have one of those but we`ve got a proper caravan now"

Again....did we care? ........NOPE... infact my reply to her was rather rude.

Other times tho we`ve had realy nice and friendly people just stop to chat and make us feel welcome and relaxed

Did we care?.............Well yes we did because it shows just how friendly people can be whoever you are and whatever you tow

May 25, 2005
Visit site
Hi Angus

Like other Forum members I find people attending the club sites to be rather friendly. Yes, there are the odd couple who wish not to be disturbed so we leave them to their own devices. However, by the end of their/our stay they tend to be very chatty!

I, for one, love to see older units arriving on site. It reminds me of past years when we had similar caravans which are now classics. I might add that they are also MUCH better built than the caravan we currently own.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I quite agree Ann. Our 24 year old Link 575 Is one of possibly only 20 ever built and built by craftsmen by hand litterally.

By father-in-law has a 1994 Bailey and I haven't the heart to tell him that I found over twice the percentage and areas of damp that I fopund in my van.

Everyone i meet on site, just can't believe that the van is so old and in such good condition. I have to show them the serial number before they are convinced.

But with the addition of a cassette loo and a carver 2 water heater to replace the old Mk1 I have a van that is every bit as enjoyable as any other.

Steve L

Aug 13, 2006
Visit site
On enie thing about people being snobby on site is you don't have to waste your time talking with them, you have more time for the real caravaners out there, we went with a really old unit our first caravan after a folding camper, and 89% of the people were really nice, some even envied us the fact we had an older unit, "they don't built them like they use to...." " wish we hadn't gotten a new one...what a pain" well we did go to a newer van but still in the mid 90's age, just wanted some luxuries, like running hot water and cassette toilet, my I am spoiled now. anyway, enjoy the people who are nice, they are the ones who make the holiday and stays in site much nicer.

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
I agree with everything that has been written on this thread.

Many years ago, when we first started caravanning, we had a very old unit. It didn't deter us from joining the CC, but didn't feel able to "expose" ourselves on the entrance areas to many sites, because of the, even then, snobbish element - the brand new cars and shiney caravans.

Over the years we have owned several different combinations, even towing with a Series 2 LandRover with a Perkins engine, which caused a stir in many places, but we gave up caring! We paid our dues, and were just as entitled to be on site as anybody else.

As things have progressed with children leaving etc. we have been able to buy our first new caravan this year which we tow with our eighteen month old car. We never look down on neighbours with older units, we all have to start or progress at what ever rate is afforable and practical for us. We've been there!!!

I have to agree with Scotch Lad, I personally think TV has killed off the more "social" side of our hobby, that's is why we never watch TV in our 'van, prefering to maybe pass the time of day with a neighbour, if allowed of course!

Jul 31, 2006
Visit site
For all the contributers so far

I would be privaledged and honoured if any one of you pitched up next to me at any time. Pop over for a cuppa, or something stronger!

I have only one thing to say to any one who thinks they are "a cut above" any one of us and who acts like a snob..............

F I O F O (Fit In Or F#*k Off!)

GeorgeB

May 13, 2006
Visit site
Hi Angus,

I only ever once bought a new car. Never again!

Once, at a show, I was picking up caravan brochures when a salesman approached and asked if we could do a deal. I told him "No", I was just gathering information on the caravan I might buy in three or four years time. (I did actually three years later but that was the youngest van I ever had). Now, as a pensioner who lost most of his pension (one of the biggest companies in the world) I buy what I really want like my present 1992 Elddis Hurricane 200EX which Molly and I find excellent. On site it looks quite presentable but, anyway, we really don't mind what anyone thinks. However, we have always found caravanners a great bunch whether on CC or commercial sites and welcome a chin wag.

Rob S.

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
I am probably seen as one of the snobs but I am not happy with that. When we started caravaning we got an older 5 birth fleetwood and started going to rallys with a popular club, No one spoke to us and if we pitched first we had gaps around us. After a year we upgraded to a Discovery and a new ACE twin axle, everyone was suddenly very nice and wanted us involved.

We moved rally centers and will never rally with anyone with that kind of snobbish attitude.

It does not matter what caravan you have, all that does matter is that you get out and use it! get involved if you want, or sit and do nothing. But no matter what you have, please dont look at all the people with new or top of the range vans as snobs. Some of us are just out to relax and have a break.

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
I know what you mean Rob Roy about new cars. I am in the fortunate position of periodically getting a new car with the job, and being asked what I fancy so I get a decent choice. There is no way I would shell out for a new one out of my own pocket even if I could afford one.

If I won a silly amount of money on the lottery I would consider a motorhome to supplement the `van, but cannot see myself losing thousands in depreciation on something which will rapidly be superceded anyway.

My `vans an `89 Award Transtar, had it for 6 years and new the gent who bought and cherished it from new. Shower never been used, neither had the oven till we got it, and it still has the original engraved `Award` tall stemmed glasses.

The beer and wine is always flowing for those who dare to approach the old bus.

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
Sparkes - what we`re getting at is the snobbery is in the individuals, not the inanimate objects themselves. By the that I mean the outfits and not me after too much ale...

TRENDING THREADS