So did YOU know that Mods were players too - and do you care??

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Oct 17, 2006
Visit site
I honestly can't see what VIP is getting so wound up about. All forums, whatever the subject, are normally moderated. If not then they normally have a link at the bottom of each post to complain to the site manager if a post offends.

I read His Moddyships remark as humour with a sprinkling of fact and it didn't offend me in the least. What does offend me are the one or two who like dishing out insults but cannot take it and are prepared to tell lies to try and prove their point. This brings me back to His Moddyships post, "with its wide range of personalities and temperaments" and this is where the problem lies but that goes for anywhere in life, whether it's this forum or in the workplace, you will always find at least one a$$hole. By the way VIP, I'm not referring to you by that remark, I mean life in general ;O)
Never mind this topic Lord B have a look on Welcome Back Lisa.

Caution needed. Liz

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
All I can say is, I have the utmost respect for the Mon this forum. For a bunch of caravaners, we need some controlling.

If it was up to me, I would have had my promotion to Mod 5 by now and would be cuddling up to the "Delete" button as we speak. You lot really don't know how lucky you are. (Except those that do).

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
All I can say is, I have the utmost respect for the Mon this forum. For a bunch of caravaners, we need some controlling.

If it was up to me, I would have had my promotion to Mod 5 by now and would be cuddling up to the "Delete" button as we speak. You lot really don't know how lucky you are. (Except those that do).
Mods, not "mons". That'll teach me, not to spull check.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Please I address this reply to Moderator 1 , Moderator 2 and Moderator 3 and also to the many puesdonyms they like to use in our ignorance.

The rules of debate IMO should like the debates conducted in a debating chamber. be conducted in a fair, sensible and non personal manner and without any judgments given by the moderators being biased in anyway. The following statement I have given is in no way meant to say that I am critising the decisions of the moderators whether they are employees of PC or members of the forum.

What I am saying is that moderators should become more transparent by using " moderator" as his name if he wants to join in on the topic being discussed.

Oct 17, 2006
Visit site
Please I address this reply to Moderator 1 , Moderator 2 and Moderator 3 and also to the many puesdonyms they like to use in our ignorance.

The rules of debate IMO should like the debates conducted in a debating chamber. be conducted in a fair, sensible and non personal manner and without any judgments given by the moderators being biased in anyway. The following statement I have given is in no way meant to say that I am critising the decisions of the moderators whether they are employees of PC or members of the forum.

What I am saying is that moderators should become more transparent by using " moderator" as his name if he wants to join in on the topic being discussed.
I agee 100% Liz

Nov 7, 2005
Visit site
This is getting silly now ⇦ shakes head :O(

So what are a few saying, that Steve or Moddy 2 shouldn't post?

If so, why not?

Colinn, if reading your comment ... "Mod 2 is His Worshipful (but that's not his real name either, very confusing m'lord, you're a man of so many titles)"... you mean me, no, I'm not a Moderator on this forum. If I was I would have had to email myself on many occasions warning myself and maybe even given myself a months ban (although I'm used to bans now, aint that right Your Moddyship) :O)
sorry liz, i haven't a clue, i'm a comparative newbie compared to most...certainly wasn't around when people say the issue was common knowledge.

But it has to be someone who is always on line...you know, those who come in with a very quick comment on many subjects. there's a few i can think of, but it would be only guessing...!!!

Nov 7, 2005
Visit site
This is getting silly now ⇦ shakes head :O(

So what are a few saying, that Steve or Moddy 2 shouldn't post?

If so, why not?

Colinn, if reading your comment ... "Mod 2 is His Worshipful (but that's not his real name either, very confusing m'lord, you're a man of so many titles)"... you mean me, no, I'm not a Moderator on this forum. If I was I would have had to email myself on many occasions warning myself and maybe even given myself a months ban (although I'm used to bans now, aint that right Your Moddyship) :O)
Come on m'lud, give us a clue...i won't tell...

Oct 19, 2005
Visit site
Having read through the postings, it is quite interesting to see the different viewpoints raised about Mods.

For those who have posted here for a long time, you will know that Haymarket asked for there to be more Mods, as the one person doing it was becoming overwhelmed, and could, obviously, not take any time off.

Several people applied and initially I was asked to become a Mod, which I agreed to.

As far as "the many pseudonyms they like to use in our ignorance", I have only the one regular identity, and the Mod2 one, so not many, however you look at it.

Moderating only really became necessary after a spate of troll postings, which were very offensive, and could not be allowed to stay on a site which is open to all ages, and world wide.

It then became even more necessary after certain postings about individual companies, and the threat of legal action against the publisher of the magazine and owner of the site, Haymarket.

They, Haymarket, decided that their revenue would be better spent publishing a magazine rather than lining the pockets of Lawyers to fight litigation, which is fair enough, and unless the people complaining about moderation have the money and are prepared to waste it in litigation, then the rules will be followed regarding complaints about companies etc, as a forum is not the place to resolve these problems.

With todays "Blame and Claim" culture, all postings have to be "Politically Correct", even if we dont like it, so again, postings about individual races, religions, colour etc cannot be allowed to remain on the site.

Much as I, personally, would love to "Name and Shame" when it is needed, under the current rules I have to toe the line.

WhenI post under my ordinary user name, those are my personal views, and if I post something out of order, then I accept that it may be removed.

When I Moderate, then that is adhering to Haymarket rules, and not necessarily my own personal point of view.

I actually agre with VIP2006 when he says"like the debates conducted in a debating chamber. be conducted in a fair, sensible and non personal manner and without any judgments"

In essence, that is all the rules require, and that no personal insults are used and moderate language is employed.

If every user stuck to those ideals, then modearting would be unnecessary, and I would no longer be required to look in now and again to see what is going on.

As far as posting in subjects using Moderator as the user name, this could lead tos tifled debate as some users may feel unable to put their view across knowing that a Mod is watching, and as I have stated previously, my Mod views are those of Haymarket, not necessarily my own personal views, which, if published on some topics, may see me banned for ever from every forum on earth.

I do not work for Haymarket, but I do have quite strong feeling about the content of the site, which is read by all ages, all sexes across the world, and try to use the logic of "what do I consider acceptable for my wife/daughter/son to read and not be offended"

I hope this gives some understanding of my position and that relating to being a Mod, and why I want to keep the Mod side separate to my "normal" self.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Having read through the postings, it is quite interesting to see the different viewpoints raised about Mods.

For those who have posted here for a long time, you will know that Haymarket asked for there to be more Mods, as the one person doing it was becoming overwhelmed, and could, obviously, not take any time off.

Several people applied and initially I was asked to become a Mod, which I agreed to.

As far as "the many pseudonyms they like to use in our ignorance", I have only the one regular identity, and the Mod2 one, so not many, however you look at it.

Moderating only really became necessary after a spate of troll postings, which were very offensive, and could not be allowed to stay on a site which is open to all ages, and world wide.

It then became even more necessary after certain postings about individual companies, and the threat of legal action against the publisher of the magazine and owner of the site, Haymarket.

They, Haymarket, decided that their revenue would be better spent publishing a magazine rather than lining the pockets of Lawyers to fight litigation, which is fair enough, and unless the people complaining about moderation have the money and are prepared to waste it in litigation, then the rules will be followed regarding complaints about companies etc, as a forum is not the place to resolve these problems.

With todays "Blame and Claim" culture, all postings have to be "Politically Correct", even if we dont like it, so again, postings about individual races, religions, colour etc cannot be allowed to remain on the site.

Much as I, personally, would love to "Name and Shame" when it is needed, under the current rules I have to toe the line.

WhenI post under my ordinary user name, those are my personal views, and if I post something out of order, then I accept that it may be removed.

When I Moderate, then that is adhering to Haymarket rules, and not necessarily my own personal point of view.

I actually agre with VIP2006 when he says"like the debates conducted in a debating chamber. be conducted in a fair, sensible and non personal manner and without any judgments"

In essence, that is all the rules require, and that no personal insults are used and moderate language is employed.

If every user stuck to those ideals, then modearting would be unnecessary, and I would no longer be required to look in now and again to see what is going on.

As far as posting in subjects using Moderator as the user name, this could lead tos tifled debate as some users may feel unable to put their view across knowing that a Mod is watching, and as I have stated previously, my Mod views are those of Haymarket, not necessarily my own personal views, which, if published on some topics, may see me banned for ever from every forum on earth.

I do not work for Haymarket, but I do have quite strong feeling about the content of the site, which is read by all ages, all sexes across the world, and try to use the logic of "what do I consider acceptable for my wife/daughter/son to read and not be offended"

I hope this gives some understanding of my position and that relating to being a Mod, and why I want to keep the Mod side separate to my "normal" self.

Hi mod: Your para " As far as "the many pseudonyms they like to use in our ignorance", I have only the one regular identity, and the Mod2 one, so not many, however you look at it."

Moderator3 has on this occasion used 3 !!

Your para "If every user stuck to those ideals, then modearting would be unnecessary, and I would no longer be required to look in now and again to see what is going on"

Members know that you are there most of the time without announcing your presence , but they may be much more stifled now that we know that you could be participating in the topic under other names.

I beleive that you know that being transparent with your members is the best way forward IMO.

Here I will rest my point of view. Thanks for your input.

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
Hi mod: Your para " As far as "the many pseudonyms they like to use in our ignorance", I have only the one regular identity, and the Mod2 one, so not many, however you look at it."

Moderator3 has on this occasion used 3 !!

Your para "If every user stuck to those ideals, then modearting would be unnecessary, and I would no longer be required to look in now and again to see what is going on"

Members know that you are there most of the time without announcing your presence , but they may be much more stifled now that we know that you could be participating in the topic under other names.

I beleive that you know that being transparent with your members is the best way forward IMO.

Here I will rest my point of view. Thanks for your input.
Sorry? But I changed my name to be Steve mod3 and then just steve. When you change your tag in a profile it updates all your previous posts. Or are you accusing me of using 3 seperate log ons.

I will be blatently honest now and post as a user. You know how the forum is run and you have your choice. We are not about to return the forum to the old ways so please consider what you want. Do you want to access the forum or not? moaning about it not being run the way you like will not change anything.

May 4, 2005
Visit site
As with those who have been on the Forum for a few years now I knew that the Mods posted under different names, they were recruited from the Forum after all. I have no problem with it and have never seen a comflict of interest.

Keep up the good work Mods and I think another troll clearing exercise is due.

Brian (",)

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site

"Please I address this reply to Moderator 1 , Moderator 2 and Moderator 3 and also to the many puesdonyms they like to use in our ignorance."

I repeat: I do not post as myself, only as Mod1.

Mod2 and Mod3 post as themselves and when necessary sometimes as moderators. Hardly "many pseudonyms".

"The rules of debate IMO should like the debates conducted in a debating chamber. be conducted in a fair, sensible and non personal manner and without any judgments given by the moderators being biased in anyway."

Why so suspicious? Why should a moderator's judgement be biased? We only intervene when posts become abusive to other users, or break forum etiquette.

"The following statement I have given is in no way meant to say that I am critising the decisions of the moderators...."

It would seem to me you have done little else in the last 24 hours.

"I will unreservedly apologise for my statement after you have conducted a poll on how many members know that moderators can and do use other user names on this forum."

Poll conducted.

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
I have been using this forum for several years and can remember postings asking for "volunteers" to become a moderator. I can also remember the time before this when you submitted your post one day but it was two or three days later before it actually appeared on site, not a great system and prompted a lot of criticism. The current system, although not perfect is a lot better.

Personally I have no problem with moderators posting as ordinary members,as Steve states in his earlier reply that is when he posts his personal views opposed to Haymarket views when he has his moderator hat on. If the moderators have been drawn from members that should mean that they have the same interests as other members which can't be bad.

I don't envy any of the moderators their job (unpaid as well! must be mad!) If they delete or edit they are going to be accused of being heavy handed, don't do it then they will be too tolerant and why is that being left on view. An example of this was a few weeks ago when a "joke" was posted that many felt was offensive. Several postings were made asking for its removal, then when it was removed there were other postings accusing moderators of sense of humour failure and being too strict.

I do find on occasions that the wording of some replies appears aggressive and potentially offensive or upsetting to other members. I wonder if it was meant in the manner in which it appeared, when talking face to face with someone it is fairly easy to judge by tone of voice, facial expression and body language whether a comment is made in jest or in serious manner but when same comment appears in print it can be taken in manner entirely different from that intended.

Robert

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
"when same comment appears in print it can be taken in manner entirely different from that intended"

Thats why some want emoticons Rob, it would save confusion but it would be faster to find the Holy Grail than getting them on this site.

The downside of emoticons is if people overuse them by flooding their posts with faces just like they do in UK Campsite. It makes reading the post difficult if not boring. Personally I don't think that would happen on here though because people seem to be more adult and responsible.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have been using this forum for several years and can remember postings asking for "volunteers" to become a moderator. I can also remember the time before this when you submitted your post one day but it was two or three days later before it actually appeared on site, not a great system and prompted a lot of criticism. The current system, although not perfect is a lot better.

Personally I have no problem with moderators posting as ordinary members,as Steve states in his earlier reply that is when he posts his personal views opposed to Haymarket views when he has his moderator hat on. If the moderators have been drawn from members that should mean that they have the same interests as other members which can't be bad.

I don't envy any of the moderators their job (unpaid as well! must be mad!) If they delete or edit they are going to be accused of being heavy handed, don't do it then they will be too tolerant and why is that being left on view. An example of this was a few weeks ago when a "joke" was posted that many felt was offensive. Several postings were made asking for its removal, then when it was removed there were other postings accusing moderators of sense of humour failure and being too strict.

I do find on occasions that the wording of some replies appears aggressive and potentially offensive or upsetting to other members. I wonder if it was meant in the manner in which it appeared, when talking face to face with someone it is fairly easy to judge by tone of voice, facial expression and body language whether a comment is made in jest or in serious manner but when same comment appears in print it can be taken in manner entirely different from that intended.

Robert
Thanks Rob-T

A well constructed reply with which I whole heartedly agree.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
"I don't think that would happen on here though because people seem to be more adult and responsible".

I wish to retract the above statement in the light of recent events to........

I don't think that would happen on here though because MOST people seem to be more adult and responsible. ;O) hehheh!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts