Soaring Prices of Secondhand

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
hi,

throughout the last 6 months we were looking to buy our way into caravanning and spent some time trailing around all the dealerships up here in Scotland to get an idea of all the different layouts and what would suit our needs.

we also bought the local rag to watch out for the private buy.

what i noticed within that time was that the price of second hand caravans were actually up on what they were a year ago, every dealer we went to complained that they hadn't the same compliment of used ones as in previous years and put it down to the fact that caravanning was now becoming one of the most popular holiday choices due to numerous issues.

apparently the so called recession and weak pound abroad has made folks realise that there are other options available to them and having a touring caravan was one. so, the second hand market boomed and owners who were selling had a great time, commanding prices that were way above the book guide because they knew the time was right, well done to them, but did any of you secure a deal that you thought was a bargain ?, i am only asking because i ended up getting a private buy for what i think was a very reasonable price, considering what i have said above. there are still bargains out there, but in the same hand there are loads of folk jumping on the bandwagon and asking way too much for their sale, thing is, they realise that with the current demand they will almost always get the asking price.

this could be a good thing for all of us in the future when we think of changing, just go the private route and ask for the highest price, knowing that some folks are desperate and will pay it.

personally, if and when i trade up i would like to think i would let it go to someone who is in the same predicament as me when trying to start, its a good feeling when you pick something up for a reasonable price.

anyone else recently joined the movement through buying private and think you had a good deal ?.

cheers.

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
HIGHLANDER.yes we also found the same problem when looking to change our van. We thought we would be spoiled for choice based on what we paid for our previous one.But no, the ones at the dealers in our price range did not compare to our own van.We were let down twice when sellers realised they could get more than they were asking.Just as we were about to call it a day I found one that had been reduced to enable the dealer to have cash and no trade in.I have to admit we were not very optimistic when we went to look and the dealership was less than "glitzy".However after a full inspection we did a deal and away we came. The next few days were nerve wracking as we were waiting to discover some horrendous fault.The CRIS check was ok and wonder of wonders the insurance company valued it

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
According to reports the caravan manufactures cut back production 20% last year and were surprised by the demand so got caught out,hence why the lack of secondhand models available so prices rise.

The reverse could happen this year they increase production and caravan sales drop(we were promised a good summer last year!) then used price tumble?

Apr 1, 2005
Visit site
Hi there,

I absolutely agree.

We had been looking for a decent 5 or so year old van through much of this year but in the end we bought a new one as it was only about 20% dearer than some comparable 5 yr old used models. I simply could not believe some of the prices being asked for eg in excess of

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Having just purchased our first van, Steve at Glossop Caravans told us that the Insurance Companies are buying up many caravans, due to the Cockermouth floods. Could it be that they are also taking some secondhand stock ? Even if they are only taking new vans, the delivery will be even longer, ours is not due until Mid May. If somone in the market for a new van does not want to wait, they will look at recent 2-3 years old vans as an alternative. The rule of supply and demand will cut in,this will exacerbate the problem and prices could go even higher.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
On another thread Martin has ordered his new Swift Charisma 540 which will not be delivered until May 2010, nearly six months start to finish.

Is that acceptable? Not for me as 50% of next year's touring has been lost.

That's why there are a shortage of 2nd hand caravans.

I recall Swift recently laid off a number of employees. Were they too Swift or is it "Self preservation"?

Cheers

Dustydog

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The problem is very few dealers or manufacturers in the recession are prepared to hold stock of new vans. We bought a Challenger 570 at the October NEC show and the delivery is going to be March. Virtually all the maanufacturers we spoke to at the show were quoting delivery into 2010 with Coachman even given mid summer delivery dates. The shortage of second hand vans will ease next year when these new vans start to be delivered. We also waited six months for delivery when we got the Senator in 2005.

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Richard, i don't get you here.

you say that some of the delivery times for new caravans are well into next summer, then you say that the second hand market will peter out. how come ?, surely if there is a time limit like you say for delivery of a new one, then the second hand market is going to go through the roof, therefore there will be less next year.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We ordered a new Coachman from the October NEC show. We were given a collection date of 'late-March 2010', but had a call from the dealers 2 weeks later. We collected the new 'van in November.

Not sure what happened there, but thanks a lot, Wandahome!

Sep 8, 2009
Visit site
We are still in the investigating phase but, it seems to me, that continental prices are lower. Ok so there are issues with buying from the continent but still ...

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Nothing has a real value until it is sold, and what it sold for is only what the purchaser is prepared to pay.

Supply and demand I'm afraid.

Jul 22, 2005
Visit site
Highlander, we use a site in the scottish borders on a regular basis, they also sell new and used vans. The owner told us that he cant keep trade in vans more than a couple of days and they are snapped up and believe me they are not being sold off cheaply. Even his new vans are a selling fast. Recession?? somebody has money or could it be it has just take some people longer to realise the fun in caravanning not to mention saving money?

Yvonne

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
I wonder how long this 'boom' will last.

How many of the purchasers last year really will stick to caravanning next year? Another rubbish summer , improving economy (well at least in europe) how many of those folks will end up reverting back to the costa's for better weather?

When they do and they try and sell their vans then prices will drop , I really think this boom is a blip , and the fact the makers got caught out sort of proves that.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts