Soggy Bottom

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!

Pon

Jun 15, 2020
Visit site
Hi Folks, just an update on where we have got to with everything. Ive been in touch with the seller and explained the situation, he has also seen the photograph. He was very nice and said he had no idea and apologised. He said that if the floor is as we have said it is then he will give us a full refund and asked if we still have the carpet for it. When I explained the carpet is now in pieces and can no longer be put back down and also that we have started to paint the interior he said that he wouldn't be able to accept it back as it is not in the same condition as when he sold it and that customers dont want a painted caravan and so it would be no good to him. I do understand his point, as I imagine he planned to fix the floor and put it straight back on the market again. I explained to him that I did understand, but we would never have started the work if we had known about the floor problem. He said to take it back to him and he will get the engineer to look at it to see the extent of the damage. We are returning it next week and in the meantime have got an approved technician coming out this week to give us a report to assess the problem, who is recommended, and so we will find out exactly what the damage is and hopefully where the leak is. If it's all not to bad I think we will insist it gets repaired properly, as to be honest we did really want it for this summer's holidays, and family are also borrowing it to take away. But if the report looks bad then we will have to insist on a refund and if not then start with the small claims proceedings. Thanks for all the info on this by the way and how to handle things with the seller. I will keep you updated with any future developments. The seller also sells caravans on e bay and has for a number of years so I have done a bit of research and he appears genuine and has 100% positive feedback with no complaints so I am hoping he didn't know and that it has just not been picked up by the company that did the survey and that they are responsible.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have edited the post I put here,1 minute ago becasue the OP just pipped me to posting.

I am very pleased you have spoken to the dealer, and he seems to have accepted there is a problem.

The CRA is still relevant, and if you accept his offer of a repair, the CRA says he has just one attempt to get it right. So be very clear and agree about the type and quality of the repair and especially noting key measures to define an acceptable repair. Perhaps the engineer you have asked to come can advise on that point.

Good luck

Last edited:

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Well done Pon, you're doing everything right so far.
I always think that a measured well considered approach to these issues is better than going to war immediately.
Good luck with the engineers inspection later this week.
With a bit of luck the water ingress will be from the door seal and the floor will be repairable at the vendors expense, and you'll be able to continue to spruce up your newly repaired caravan to your liking.
If the damage warrants a full refund you still have the weight of the CRA behind you and you'll win.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Going with Ray’s point regarding the painting and removal of carpet I agree. I suspect any action using CRA will succeed. However a counter claim is likely, as has been suggested by the dealer.
In this unusual situation I would be happy if the dealer pays for a professional repair to the floor and remedies the point of water ingress.

Reactions: edmarlowe
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Remember folps, Pon, said the dealer mentioned a floor problem at the toilet door. This is at the entrance door. The picture shows two plates with bolts /screws that are not standard. ( previous under floor repair) If the floor is soft you would feel it, if you were used to caravan floors, as a dealer would be. The dealer is trying it on.

Reactions: Beachball
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hi Folks, just an update on where we have got to with everything. Ive been in touch with the seller and explained the situation, he has also seen the photograph. He was very nice and said he had no idea and apologised. He said that if the floor is as we have said it is then he will give us a full refund and asked if we still have the carpet for it. When I explained the carpet is now in pieces and can no longer be put back down and also that we have started to paint the interior he said that he wouldn't be able to accept it back as it is not in the same condition as when he sold it and that customers dont want a painted caravan and so it would be no good to him. I do understand his point, as I imagine he planned to fix the floor and put it straight back on the market again. I explained to him that I did understand, but we would never have started the work if we had known about the floor problem. He said to take it back to him and he will get the engineer to look at it to see the extent of the damage. We are returning it next week and in the meantime have got an approved technician coming out this week to give us a report to assess the problem, who is recommended, and so we will find out exactly what the damage is and hopefully where the leak is. If it's all not to bad I think we will insist it gets repaired properly, as to be honest we did really want it for this summer's holidays, and family are also borrowing it to take away. But if the report looks bad then we will have to insist on a refund and if not then start with the small claims proceedings. Thanks for all the info on this by the way and how to handle things with the seller. I will keep you updated with any future developments. The seller also sells caravans on e bay and has for a number of years so I have done a bit of research and he appears genuine and has 100% positive feedback with no complaints so I am hoping he didn't know and that it has just not been picked up by the company that did the survey and that they are responsible.
Strange that he should ask about the carpet as seeing the pictures it would have been very obvious to the dealer that the carpets would be in pieces as that is the only way you can remove a carpet from an older caravan as the furniture is fixed over the carpet. There is no point to understand. As mentioned those metal plates are not standard so must have been there previously for the same repair.
When you say a recommended technician it needs to be an approved technician if you the case ever goes to court and not just any technician. Are they an AWS technician? Hopefully the dealer did not recommend the technician?

Pon

Jun 15, 2020
Visit site
Hi guys, so we managed to get an AWS technician to come out yesterday and he did a damp report which is attached below, (ive blanked out the company's details). It's not good, basically the walls are all fine but the entire floor has had it. It has high meter readings all over with 99% by the door. I am laughing as I type this as otherwise I think I would cry. We are taking it back Saturday now to show the dealer and I am really hoping that based on this report he will agree to take it back without the hassle of court. We are finishing the painting too so it looks presentable, but if he won't then it looks like we are at war as we can't possibly keep it now. Maybe like you have said Hutch it might have had a lot of work done to it previously that wasn't done properly. Thanks again.

Attachments

• IMG_1441.JPG
    IMG_1441.JPG
    948.2 KB · Views: 22
Reactions: Parksy and Hutch
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I agree with Hutch he said floor at the toilet this is the entrance door i think he trying it on
Well done Pon i would get a technician access the problem who is recommended then he will give you a detailed report Keep us updated on here of your outcome

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi guys, so we managed to get an AWS technician to come out yesterday and he did a damp report which is attached below, (ive blanked out the company's details). It's not good, basically the walls are all fine but the entire floor has had it. It has high meter readings all over with 99% by the door. I am laughing as I type this as otherwise I think I would cry. We are taking it back Saturday now to show the dealer and I am really hoping that based on this report he will agree to take it back without the hassle of court. We are finishing the painting too so it looks presentable, but if he won't then it looks like we are at war as we can't possibly keep it now. Maybe like you have said Hutch it might have had a lot of work done to it previously that wasn't done properly. Thanks again.
Good luck. If the dealer has a modicum of sense they will give the full refund. They wouldn't stand much chance of winning a Small Claims Court on line claim.

Reactions: Beachball
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi Pon Looking at the damp report the dealer must have known about the floor i would finish the painting, i cannot see why that a problem surely he can put some new carpet down i hope he does take it back (Good Luck on Saturday ) Keep us updated of your outcome on here

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I am now thinking that maybe this caravan was flooded at some point if the whole floor needs replacing and that is not an economical repair for any dealer workshop as will cost more than the value of the caravan. Sadly it is not good news and I think it is a write off.
Have you done a CRIS check on the caravan to see if it was perhaps an insurance write off, that is if it was ever CRIS registered. Costs about £10-£15 for the report. There may not be a charge if it is not on their database.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
First of all well done for getting this far.

As I said before I am pleased the dealer has acknowledged the problem even though he has raised concerns about the work you have started.

Hold your nerve, as I think you have a strong position to claim a full refund.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Reviewing the photo and the AWS report it will be a very stupid dealer not to return your money and take the caravan back.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
it is good that the dealer has agreed to look at it again and we can only wait and see what he says. You should be looking at your money back, although if the painting has reduced the value a small deduction for that might have to be accepted. At the end of the day though you need to do is get out of this with as little loss as possible.
I would be wary of a repair and if it is offered, ask who will do it, and enquire to be sure they are up to the job.

Pon

Jun 15, 2020
Visit site
Many thanks all of you for all of your help over the last week. I have just got back from the dealers and he has refunded us the full amount. We are very happy. I went armed with all of the info that you had all given me. It was a heated debate that lasted 45 minutes but in the end he agreed to the refund. Thanks again all of you I know that you spent a lot of time advising me. Caravan shopping again now ! Hope we get a good one next time xx

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
That a great result from the caravan dealer when you go caravan shopping make sure you take a Damp Meter with you and check everything from top to bottom :)

Reactions: Parksy
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Many thanks all of you for all of your help over the last week. I have just got back from the dealers and he has refunded us the full amount. We are very happy. I went armed with all of the info that you had all given me. It was a heated debate that lasted 45 minutes but in the end he agreed to the refund. Thanks again all of you I know that you spent a lot of time advising me. Caravan shopping again now ! Hope we get a good one next time xx
Congratulations a really good outcome. Good luck with your next one. You could ask your AWS technician to carry out a pre purchase damp check subject to dealer agreement.

Reactions: DaveA1 and Parksy
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Congratulations. You've turned your luck around.:)

It's really good to learn how our advice and suggestions may have helped resolve a difficult situation fairly. What you may have learnt about the CRA applies to every retail purchase you make, so do't be fobbed off by retailers who try to take you for a ride, use your rights to get what you are rightfully entitled to. - Power to the People

This time, take your time. Look around several caravans before choosing one, and when you think you have found the right one, don't commit to buy it until you have used your AWS guy to do a pre-purchase inspection. Be prepared to walk away your uncertain about anything or if there's anything fishy.

Whilst it looks like Covid-19 may drive secondhand prices up for a while, the market I am sure will come back for good value caravans, though it might take a few months.

In the short term there are companies that will hire touring caravans, so that might be another way of trying the experience without committing too much money and effort.

Good luck

Last edited:
Reactions: Dustydog
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Congratulations a really good outcome. Good luck with your next one. You could ask your AWS technician to carry out a pre purchase damp check subject to dealer agreement.

If a dealer has nothing to hide they should not object to you having an independent inspection. If they do object that is suspicious and in my book you should leave it.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Pon
I'm delighted that the dealer has done the right thing and refunded your money.
Knowledge is power and the sum total of caravan related knowledge availabke on this forum is unsurpassed!
I'm sure that you'll find the caravan that you want, but if you have any questions or need any advice about your purchase you know where we are
😊

Pon

Jun 15, 2020
Visit site
Thanks guys, yes you have all been such a big help. We will be much more vigilant next time, and I think a damp check (floor included this time), or a pre purchase inspection is a really good idea. Thanks again x

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Thanks guys, yes you have all been such a big help. We will be much more vigilant next time, and I think a damp check (floor included this time), or a pre purchase inspection is a really good idea. Thanks again x
Hi Pon Keep us updated what you get :)

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Thank you for keeping us updated during what must have been a stressful time for you and your family. When going to buy the next caravan I am sure that you will be able to get loads of advice off this forum.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Its advice I have offered to many, It can be really helpful to take a family member or friend who caravans with you when looking. Their experience may point out some of the issues that an inexperienced person might miss.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Well done in getting your money back. Hope you were helped by the various posts on here and will be better armed when you look again.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts