solar panel charging

May 9, 2015
Visit site
hi ,,is it possible to charge the caravan batt through the plug on the caravan ,,don't like leaving the battery hatch open when being charged ? just though might be able to connect to the socket and plug in ?

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Why do you need to leave the hatch open whilst battery is being charged by solar? You don't leave it open when travelling and being charged by car, or when on EHU.

May 9, 2015
Visit site
hi because i use it with croc clips at the moment and have to pull the batt out to get them on that's why i thought if i could charge it through the plug would be easier ?

Jul 6, 2015
Visit site
Where is the solar panel located?

Personally I would add a connection within the caravan and pop the panel in the window to charge all the time.

May 9, 2015
Visit site
don't think it would work well inside ? i just wanted to know if i can use the plug on the caravan to charge the battery in the caravan ,,i have to open the battery cover pull the battery out clip crocodile clips on then i struggle to push the battery back in as the clips hits the top ,,i could run wire from the battery to the front a frame and put some sort of connection there i suppose ?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Rob,

You don't seem to be getting the answer to your question do you, so let me try.

In principle yes you could use the the plug but in practice it may not very well or it may not work at all.

Principally it depend if your caravan has a habitation relay or not. If you have one, then the plug idea wont work, because the Habitation relay will disconnect the charging pin in the front plug.

If your caravan is 'olde' enough not to have the HR, then yes it would work, but because of the extra length of the wires, the solar charge rate will not be as effective. Most 12V solar panel installations try to keep wire lengths to a minimum.

Many battery boxes have either a cable entry point at the bottom or some drainage slots. As a suggestion, you can get water proof connectors with a short wire suitable for solar panels, which you could more or less permanently attach to the battery and leave inside the battery box. When you come to connect the panel, bring the connector outside the battery box lay it in one of the channels to the outside and then connect the panel.

Hope this helps

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts