SOLD UP ,TO LIVE PERMANENTLY IN 'VAN?

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Anyone out there who's taken the plunge & sold up to live permanently in your outfit? Have you put your story down anywhere, eg website, so others can learn from your experience? Any comments welcome, thanks Graham, from Wigan

G

There are quite afew who have done it but dare I say it... usually buy a motorhome or Rv as their preferred choice of mobile abode. If you look through the pages of MMM or equivalent there are often articles on this very subject, and many of the contributors are actually full timers themselves. The advantage of the motorhome is one can use basic site facilties such as aires, or even camp on the beach in winter, which is a lot more difficult to do with a caravan, although not impossible.

If one is indeed thinking of this, and bear in mind that staying within Europe will not now eliminate tax issues, nomads are no longer allowed. If you do not declare a residence somewhere in Europe, then G Brown will assume you are still a UK resident and tax accordingly. I would also suggest trying a halfway house experience by renting one's home for a year just to make sure you are not embarking on an expensive mistake. Living in the small confines of a caravan all the year round, can lead to divorce in extreme circumstances. I would also never advise anyone to sell the family home to raise the cash for this without really being absolutely sure, as again disaster can easily befall you. Look beyond the glossy pages of the magazines of smiling faces on the beach etc

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The questions I ask myself when quietly contemplating going "on the road" are

1 - What is the most appreciable asset we own?

2 - What will my address be,for keeping in contact with others.

3 - As I grow older, the probability of illness increases.

4 - What is the biggest depreciation we face?

considering all the above and other aspects bring me to the conclusion that I must stay as I am and have the luxury of a home to return to after my weeks away with the van.

Last year a couple who had "sold up" painted a wonderfull picture of their new life. I listened tentively to all the good points and when they finished I asked "now tell me about the negative aspects of their new life for there must be some - no reply received.

Good luck to all who take on this venture, but remember east west homes best. IMHO

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
What happens when you need a roof over your head again in old age.

You'll buy a van or RV that depreciates at the speed of light with a limited life compared to bricks and mortar. How will your invested money do compared to the property market ?

May be consider renting the property out or buying a smaller retirement pad to rent out and live off. You could of course use your kids or a relatives address as your base.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
This is something we have been contemplating for a while now.

On plus to a motor home is that because it is classed as a motor vehicle you are less likely to get bothered by the law when stopping overnight in a lay-by.

Do it for a couple of days in a caravan and you'll get reported as a pike'y. (I can say that as my better half's family have been part of the sceene).

Just outside our town at a CL there is a chap living in his tourer and fair play to him. But he's been on the same site since May last year. Now this raises another question, how on earth can one keep finding sites every 28 days?

Finding seasonal work on a touring park is one way of guaranteeing 9 months permanent pitch and usually if you've been a good worker your invited back next year. So that does only leave three months of pottering round.

Having spoken to folk doing this the word is. You won't make stacks of money at it, but you can afford to live.

Doing my math. On most sites as a couple you get about 4-500 pounds a week coming in for 9 months of rent, gas,electric,water and council tax free. So a loaf of bread, beans, milk, tea. coffee, a square meal at night for two ain't exactly going to break the bank! So a sensible kitty for winter camping should be left over. After all the chap I spoke to fires up his RV and buggers off to Spain for 10 weeks, and that can't be a cheap deal.

My last comment might raise a few eyebrows.

I say live for today and sod tomorrow, if we get too ill to carry on then let the council put us up or down as the case may be. After all I for one, and I'm not the only one, feel fed up with paying all the taxes and getting sod all in return.

Steve.

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Hi Colliepal.

You have asked a question that is impossible to answer!!!. Circumstances which are very personal to yourself come in to play when contemplating such a move. Like do you have children ?? would you have to pay IHT when you die. Is downsizing a possibility !! sell a house and buy a flat ??.Are you in good health now, have you an income other than state pension etc. Which brings it round to what's your age now, and how long do you intend to live in your van for?? Is your van newish will it last another 10/15 years??. These are just some basic questions you need to ask yourself. So the very

best of luck to you.

Val & Frank

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Thank you all for your really useful comments. I knew it was a complex issue before we started to consider it in earnest and you've all confirmed that. I'm now tending to agree with Shiraz's comments but can fully appreciate those made by Steve in Leo as well. Guess the old Northern saying of 'In doubt? then do nowt!' will be our guidance for now, but I know we'll continue to discuss it on our many trips with the van and on those long walks with the dogs, thanks again to you all.

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
Assuming you have little or no mortgage, why not remortgage for the RV and then rent your home through an agency for say 6 months at a time.

This should more than pay the new mortgage, possibly provide some extra income, you will be protected from house price inflation and should it not work out you can return.

My neighbour has done this to roam the world for a few years and it worked out very well.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
We have been living in caravan for the past year and enjoy every minute of it. Our caravan is a Lunar 640 with a rear bedroom and we have 4 dogs and a cat living with us. Rent including all utilities is

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
In several instances when talking to couples living in their caravan or MH the female party very often owns up to missing their permanent "nest"

Dec 28, 2005
Visit site
An intriguing topic and lots of interesting replies. We have now just reached the stage in life where we can go on extended European tours but to sell-up and go on the road.........hmmmm. If you sell-up and use some of the capital on an outfit, could you later get back onto the housing ladder? Doubtful. Downsize to a smaller property and rent it out is one potential solution but of course estate agent/solicitor fees etc will be an initial significant negative factor.

Friends of ours rented out their house via an agent to a large multinational company, who have put one of their employees in there. Works very well and the rental is certainly a big plus. Downside is that, whereas they only wanted to go for a year, the company insists on a three year let. Anyway, they bit the bullet and are now over half way through the period and enjoying their nomadic lifestyle very much.

We will see how we fare in our first extended (3 month) tour this year then probably try a winter in Spain before deciding if we too want to become even more nomadic. For sure, both partners have to be 110% in favour and have a very strong bond in addition to good health, common interests etc etc.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Some Universities will take on houses and maintain them and pay a good rent for use by visiting lecturers and mature students etc with families. Its a better deal than with a rental agent with a good contract.

If you are in a University town it may be worth speaking to their housing dept.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The questions I ask myself when quietly contemplating going "on the road" are

1 - What is the most appreciable asset we own?

2 - What will my address be,for keeping in contact with others.

3 - As I grow older, the probability of illness increases.

4 - What is the biggest depreciation we face?

considering all the above and other aspects bring me to the conclusion that I must stay as I am and have the luxury of a home to return to after my weeks away with the van.

Last year a couple who had "sold up" painted a wonderfull picture of their new life. I listened tentively to all the good points and when they finished I asked "now tell me about the negative aspects of their new life for there must be some - no reply received.

Good luck to all who take on this venture, but remember east west homes best. IMHO
I bumped into an old colleague of mine the other day and discussed this topic. he has bought an oldish tourer in the sth. of france for a

Dec 23, 2006
Visit site
Ian,

We are going to sell our bungalow and could end up living in our Swift Conqueror for a few months. How do you receive your post from the royal mail? Can you arrange a central collection point and if so what address do you give to people.

Hamer

May 21, 2008
Visit site
There are a couple of ways to deal with the post.

You could change your address to C/O "a relative or trusted friend".

Set up a PO box number with royal mail.

If you are in work, you could ask the company if they would mind you directing your mail via their addresss.

We use an internet bank so managing our account is easy with a PC. High street banks are a little warey of folk popping into non-home town branches to set up DD's etc.

The first option is obviously best as it keeps vital documents "in the family" and you can get important mail opened and read to you over the phone for instance.

Steve

Sep 21, 2006
Visit site
Many "travellers" have post sent to a local post office!
Go for it! Its a thought that crosses our minds on a daily basis as we work ever harder to pay more and more in taxes. And them kind recycling people keep coming and taking our precious 'van from our driveway whilst we are out at work to pay the taxes, to keep the ever greedy chancellor happy etc: - Wish we had the courage, but who knows -one day! You'd be better of having had the adventure and spent up, than saving hard and ending up worse off than those that never strike a bat. Remember you should try everything once except incest and Morris dancing!

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Jackies comments above are very appropriate.

I look at the deductions on my monthly pay slip and wonder just what the heck I get for over

G

Stevee's comments are I suspect familiar to all of us, however, he may be getting a couple of issues mixed together.

Paying income tax is something we all abhor, but trying to avoid that does not necessarily mean selling your house. Now if you are paying a mortgage then one assumes one needs work to pay the thing. However, you could consider rental and getting someone else to pay the mortgage and maybe give you a small leftover as a bonus. By all means then head off on your travels and maybe get some PT work along the way, and maybe even if you are lucky, casual enough to avoid any mention of tax. This allows you to test the waters so to, speak, and if you feel it is ideal then maybe consider selling the house. It also allows you to retreat if things go pear shaped.

I am also assuming that most people whoi are thinking along these lines have been working for a good number of years and hopefully have a portion of their mortgage paid off. If you are still at square 1 with this, then I suggest keep dreaming for quite a while longer.

Again check out he motorhome press as they have several contributors who are fulltiming and prepared to offer help.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
As I thought when I asked the question, it's a very complex & subjective topic. I think the points about getting back into the housing marketf it doesn't work out and the issues if one partner is left alone for whatever reason, have made us decide it's not for us, but it's made a good talking point.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts