Some businesses still operating in “covid mode”

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
Just got back from a nice four days in the South Hams. I must say it struck me as bizzare how some businesses and local council seem to still be in “peak covid” mode. Eg, Modbury, signs still up saying “welcome back” as if we’ve only just come out of lockdown. “Keep social distance”, “wash your hands”, “don’t do this”, “do that”. Local shop where I stayed still have the card machine on stool away from the the counter. Another beach cafe I went to, couldn’t just go up and buy a drink, had to go through the whole charade of finding a seat whilst someone followed me there to take the order.

Camping and Caravan Club still seem to be operating socially distanced checking with various reminders everywhere to wear masks, etc.

When we are supposed to now living with the virus and back to normal life, some seem to want to carry on as if it’s 2020 still. 🤔

The real cheek though was a certain pub… Plastic “glass” only if you want to sit outside, £2 deposit, oh and you can’t pay with cash! Oh and a mere £5.50 a pint. 😫

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just got back from a nice four days in the South Hams. I must say it struck me as bizzare how some businesses and local council seem to still be in “peak covid” mode. Eg, Modbury, signs still up saying “welcome back” as if we’ve only just come out of lockdown. “Keep social distance”, “wash your hands”, “don’t do this”, “do that”. Local shop where I stayed still have the card machine on stool away from the the counter. Another beach cafe I went to, couldn’t just go up and buy a drink, had to go through the whole charade of finding a seat whilst someone followed me there to take the order.

Camping and Caravan Club still seem to be operating socially distanced checking with various reminders everywhere to wear masks, etc.

When we are supposed to now living with the virus and back to normal life, some seem to want to carry on as if it’s 2020 still. 🤔

The real cheek though was a certain pub… Plastic “glass” only if you want to sit outside, £2 deposit, oh and you can’t pay with cash! Oh and a mere £5.50 a pint. 😫

Unfortunately Covid 19 or its variants hasn't gone away. It still represents a major challenge to the health, and social care systems. Businesses have a legal duty of care to keep both their employees and members of the public safe, and that is why some responsible organisations continue to practice sensible ways to reduce the risk of infection spreading.

Don't forget that whilst most UK residents have been vaccinated, the same is not necessarily true for foreign visitors, so in areas where tourism is popular it still makes sense to take reasonable simple precautions.

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
Unfortunately Covid 19 or its variants hasn't gone away. It still represents a major challenge to the health, and social care systems. Businesses have a legal duty of care to keep both their employees and members of the public safe, and that is why some responsible organisations continue to practice sensible ways to reduce the risk of infection spreading.

Don't forget that whilst most UK residents have been vaccinated, the same is not necessarily true for foreign visitors, so in areas where tourism is popular it still makes sense to take reasonable simple precautions.
Unfortunately we have learnt the hard way that no matter what interventions we take or what “control” we think we have, a virus does what a virus does. I have been living life as normal for two years as have most of society. All the shops and pubs I visit at home are back to “business as normal” and I can assure you I am safe as are the thousands of other people getting on with their lives.
I don’t think a card machine on a stool in a busy village shop is keeping anyone “safe”.
Interesting that I was wasn’t kept “safe” from the two months of bronchitis I’m finally getting over, which left me short of breath and in pain, but it’s not down to irresponsible businesses not continuing with “social distancing” nonsense etc. it’s what we once called “life”. Also exacerbated by lost immunity from enforced social distancing!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
In the last two weeks I have been into four care homes and none required visitors and residents to wear masks unless they wanted to. Some staff wore masks but not all. One took our temperature on arrival and all had sanitizer around the building. So I think the businesses in Devon are being overly cautious and their constraints aren’t really giving any advantage.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Only today on the BBC 'Morning Live' programme the ongoing risks of C19 were being discussed, and how its still very important for those who have not had their vaccine booster jabs to get them soon before the offer is withdrawn (Cut off date in England 12th Feb).

It's up to each individual or business to decide how they wish to "protect" themselves from the virus, and if someone's vulnerability or sensibility is to continue to distance then that should not held up to shame them, and it's also up to others to respect that wish.

Reactions: RogerL and Hutch
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I have one friend who seems to be Paranoid about going out, he had a heart attack 16 months ago whilst out cycling, and since then we have only been able to get him to come out if the temperature is about 18 c. He has had all his Covid and Flu jabs, it will take time for us to get him out again. And he is only 74

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
Only today on the BBC 'Morning Live' programme the ongoing risks of C19 were being discussed, and how its still very important for those who have not had their vaccine booster jabs to get them soon before the offer is withdrawn (Cut off date in England 12th Feb).

It's up to each individual or business to decide how they wish to "protect" themselves from the virus, and if someone's vulnerability or sensibility is to continue to distance then that should not held up to shame them, and it's also up to others to respect that wish.
Personally, I don’t take much notice of anything on the BBC. They are left wing biased and the left wingers in this country would have us persuing “zero covid” like China. Businesses should also consider their responsibility to public mental health and that the constant project fear is detrimental when combined with the incessant “drip drip drip” of other bad news.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Please don’t bring politics into this thread. The simple facts are that until recently covid patients in hospital outnumbered flu patients. But the curve has now turned down. Whichever way you look at it if people haven’t had their vaccination they are at greater risk of covid or flu, and that impacts the NHS ability to provide services or get the backlog down.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ultimately it is your choice,you can go along with the restrictions businesses seek to impose, or take your custom elsewhere,I would choose elsewhere, especially any outlets that won't accept cash.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Personally, I don’t take much notice of anything on the BBC. They are left wing biased and the left wingers in this country would have us persuing “zero covid” like China. Businesses should also consider their responsibility to public mental health and that the constant project fear is detrimental when combined with the incessant “drip drip drip” of other bad news.
Is the BBC biased? Some say it has a left-wing bias, others say it has a right-wing bias - compared to other parts of the media and internet, I'd say the BBC is reasonably balanced - and I'm politically right-wing.

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
Sorry
Please don’t bring politics into this thread. The simple facts are that until recently covid patients in hospital outnumbered flu patients. But the curve has now turned down. Whichever way you look at it if people haven’t had their vaccination they are at greater risk of covid or flu, and that impacts the NHS ability to provide services or get the backlog down.

I hope you are not suggesting that I am an anti vaxer!!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Sorry to bring politics into this thread folks, my mistake. Lets all just agree to disagree. I don’t want to get into passionate debate with the people who have been very welcoming and helpful to me over the last year that I have been on the forum. I’ll put my efforts into more friendly / light hearted threads. :)
Thank you Chris.
On Practical Caravan forum we try not to get into politics too deeply because it can create division and hostility.
As an online community we prefer to focus on things that we have in common.
Historically, political comments have usually been removed, but moderators don't want to sit watching the message boards 24/7 in case somebody introduces a slightly political viewpoint, after all we're all adults, this forum is largely self-regulating and some political elements can impact the daily lives of everyone so we try to allow a bit of leeway.
There are internet forums which host passionate political debates, I've seen the hurt and upset that can be generated there, which is why personally I steer well clear of them.
The agreement to disagree on this forum is why it remains popular and largely on track, so yes, that's the best and most sensible approach. 👍

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The BBC has a lot to offer TV and Radio. We never watch BBC news or political programs eg Question Time. There is a bias both ways I don’t like. GB news has served us well last couple of years usually giving unbiased news and debates. Interesting to note ex politicians from all camps join debates , give no bias but a common sense balanced view . Factual honest broadcasting imo

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The BBC has a lot to offer TV and Radio. We never watch BBC news or political programs eg Question Time. There is a bias I don’t like. GB news has served us well last couple of years usually giving unbiased news and debates. Interesting to note ex politicians from all camps join debates , give no bias but a common sense balanced view ,
GB News - Ofcom are currently investigating Mark Steyn for a potential breaches of standards relating to misinformation about Covid-19.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Businesses have the right to take whatever precautions they consider reasonable. If you do not like them then you have the option of going elsewhere. You have to decide what level f risk you are prepared to take so those taking more precautions are probably serving the more risk averse and those who are happy with those precautions.
Possibly after three years we are becoming a bit blasaye about the disease which can be serious and is still out there.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The BBC has a lot to offer TV and Radio. We never watch BBC news or political programs eg Question Time. There is a bias both ways I don’t like. GB news has served us well last couple of years usually giving unbiased news and debates. Interesting to note ex politicians from all camps join debates , give no bias but a common sense balanced view . Factual honest broadcasting imo
We have generally given up on watching Sky News for the reasons listed above and prefer "Good morning" on ITV as they seem to give a more balanced view. Only watch BBC Nature programs which are excellent. Most of the BBC's other stuff is highly debatable watching so don't bother.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My comment mentioning a feature about the present situation concerning Covid19 was about public health and not a political statement.

I do not think the brand of media is relevant.

I realise there are a few people who maintain that Covid 19 never existed. They claim it was a political conspiracy, but I'm sure all those who suffered or are still suffering or lost loved ones will take a more realistic view. It certainly does not deserve to have become a diversion for this topic.

Reactions: Buckman
Apr 20, 2009
Visit site

Hi Chris, I drive through the South Hams on a regular basis but admit I havent stopped in Modbury so havent seen all the signs etc, but being from the area I also havent experienced what you are describing in other local area's, but as mentioned by others think some people still want to be cautious,
On the price of the £5.50 pint, I have just come back from a weekend away staying in a hotel in London, cheapest pint £7.50, but you cant go away and not have a pint or two (or three). Oh and one pub in Leicester Square only served in Plastic glass, inside or out.

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
My comment mentioning a feature about the present situation concerning Covid19 was about public health and not a political statement.

I do not think the brand of media is relevant.

I realise there are a few people who maintain that Covid 19 never existed. They claim it was a political conspiracy, but I'm sure all those who suffered or are still suffering or lost loved ones will take a more realistic view. It certainly does not deserve to have become a diversion for this topic.

At one extreme you have the lunatics who think it's all a conspiracy, anti vax etc. On another extreme you have the lockdown fanatics, the sort of people seemed to get a perverse enjoyment out of covid restrictions, twitched their curtains desperate to catch out their neighbours committing any minor infraction, calling people "covidiot scum" for being on a beach, derided and abused anyone who dared to question the restrictions and whinged and moaned everytime a restriction was relaxed.

Somewhere in the middle you have people like me, who can reluctantly accept some of the restrictions were necessary in the beginning when we didn't know what we were dealing with, but think that they went on for too long did a lot of collatoral damage to health via untreated non-covid illness, destroyed people's mental health and did untold damage to the economy. And I think most people agree it is time to live life as normal. Yes, business have the right to carry on with (in my humble opinion) OTT and pointless measures but I reserve the right to moan about them! :) Anyway, I've made my (hopefully non-political) point. I'm not going to keep on as I don't come on here for debates political or otherwise.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
Hi Chris, I drive through the South Hams on a regular basis but admit I havent stopped in Modbury so havent seen all the signs etc, but being from the area I also havent experienced what you are describing in other local area's, but as mentioned by others think some people still want to be cautious,
On the price of the £5.50 pint, I have just come back from a weekend away staying in a hotel in London, cheapest pint £7.50, but you cant go away and not have a pint or two (or three). Oh and one pub in Leicester Square only served in Plastic glass, inside or out.

£7.50 a pint! I'd have left it on the bar. Maybe I should have made this thread about extortionate beer prices, might have been less controversial!

• Haha
Reactions: Mel and Gagakev

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
This thread isn't about which newspaper you read or which TV channels you watch.
It's about the impact that Covid had on our lives and in some cases continues to have.
Some businesses continue to operate some form of Covid restriction, many hospitals and GP surgeries certainly do.
Our personal reactions depend to a great extent on local conditions.
Some areas were affected more seriously than others.
There are no right or wrong answers to this dilemma unless the government issues further guidance.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Since last Autumn the private knee hospital near me has been back to pre C19 . No masks , screens etc. There are numerous professional opinions that the original approach to C19 protections was over the top. The Jury is out world wide who got it right. Today it is apparent most who contract C19 are staying home , masking, etc.
Our local sanitises all tables after use. Hopefully we have seen the end of the pandemic but sadly the variants may well throw a spanner in the works.
Can the UK afford another lockdown🤔🤔

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Sometimes I think our memories are short. When covid first hit No one really had any experience of dealing with such an infectious and lethal disease. MERS,SARS,Avian and Swine flu were non entities compared to covid. I don’t think I will ever forget the sight of hospital staff gowned and masked with the ICUs extended and wards all full with relatives of dying patients unable to say goodbye to their loved ones.

We ventured out in the caravan in 2020 as restrictions were eased but had no problem with those still in place at the time. I lost a good friend to covid on Christmas Day 2020 who despite being in good health succumbed to its effects. It was the vaccination programme that brought us towards greater freedoms. I have been in four different care homes this last couple of weeks and none require visitors or residents to wear masks. But staff wearing was their choice. But all took temperatures on arrival, and requested hand sanitizer to be used. Walsgrave major hospital in Coventry requires masks in AE and wards but compliance was minimal.

If a business still requires some form of control I have a choice, comply or go elsewhere. No point in moaning, we live in a free country

I look forward to the Inquiry on Covid but in reality I expect it to drag in for years.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts